Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2007, 15:40   #61

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius
Maxingout.... Great video. Wonderful to see how stable everything was and how little drama even in 40 knots of breeze.
Most people are surprised when they see how stable things are in a catamaran in 40 to 50 knots of wind and twenty foot seas. The secret is slowing the boat down enough so that it's no longer smashing into walls of water or jumping off waves.

We had surfed up to eighteen knots and things were getting worrisome before we put out our drogues. If the autopilot failed, we could have had major strife at those speeds.

When both of our drogues were out, our boat speed dropped down to four and a half knots. It was amazing to watch the seas lift our stern as we sailed comfortably along without any worries. We didn't take a drop of water in our cockpit. What you see in the video was exactly the way it was. The monohulls that we were with continued sailing at eight to ten knots, and they had to deal with knockdowns and water filling the cockpit.

The monohulls arrived in Graciosa Island in the Canaries about twelve hours earlier than us, so that is the price we paid for slowing down to four and a half knots.

We talked with the monohulls as we were going through the same storm, and what I heard made me glad that I was on a catamaran. They were suffering while we were sleeping.

One of the advantages of a catamaran is that it has such great directional stability from having two hulls in the water. It's like being on railroad tracks downwind. And when you put a couple of powerful drogues behind your yacht, it effectively increases the length of your yacht to more than a hundred feet overall - Boat length plus drogue length. When you slow the boat down, and add massive directional stability to the situation using drogues, you go through your 40 knot gale and still get your sleep.

Catamarans are awesome.

Dave
Exit Only

PositiveGraphics.com
Maxingout.com
Old 06-02-2007, 14:00   #62

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
All, my Mahe is getting close to build time and I've been asked if I would like to have to boat shrink wrapped for the trip from the UK to Florida. Would like any thoughts as to the pro's and con's. I have to consider if the cost out ways the pro's. I've been stated a cost of $2500 USD. Input is welcome, but especially from those who have taken delivery.
Old 07-02-2007, 13:56   #63

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
One week out of the plastic it'll be dirty anyway. The plastic will only protest against the most minor damage so what's the point?

Spend the money on a launch party!!!!!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 19-02-2007, 13:46   #64
DtM

Hey there Jean1146.

Has your Mahe arrived yet?

Send pics
Old 27-02-2007, 11:52   #65

Boat: Leopard40 39ft Myrtle
Hi Jean
I bought a Leopard 40 in 2006 and am very impressed with its permanent hard top. You can walk on it and is protected from the sun always. It is slightly higher that the coachroof and gives standing headroom. It also has a slide open hatch should you want to stick your head out. The sliding hatch in the hard top also has a fixed window in to be able to see the mainsail if you have it closed. Maybe FP should consider something like that.
Pierre
Old 21-03-2007, 21:01   #66

Hi folks,

I'm curious to hear from those you have seen the Mahe in person and those who received their's what they think of the space perhaps compared to a Lagoon 380 and the quality of workmanship.

thanks!
Old 21-03-2007, 22:11   #67
DtM

Ours arrives in Australia in May.

We went to Auckland to see the first one to arrive in Australasia.

It was parked beside a Lavezzi 40 at the show.

In my view the 36 had almost as much volume as the 40. The headroom and access to the saloon was infinitely better in the 36 and I am 6 foot 4" tall !!

We went for a sail on the Monday in 25 knots but since it was a delivery straight into the wind there was not much real sailing more motoring with the main up slightly off course.

What sailing we did do showed a responsive boat. I liked it and the clearance was fine. No banging of the middle of the baot.

Very happy so far.

The factory bimini sucks but I think we have all agreed on that point before.

We will design a new bimini when it gets here.

I am happy with my decision to have an additional winch on the port cabin top and I think we can get the lead right so that one is not needed in the cockpit.

Hppy days.

daniel
Old 21-03-2007, 22:20   #68

thanks DTM!

Did you look at Lagoon's 380S2 while you were doing your research? I'm curious why you chose the Mahe over others. There seems to be a $50K (USD) difference betweeen the 380S2 and Mahe equiped and delivered.
Old 21-03-2007, 22:30   #69
DtM

Sorry, I forgot to answer that question. I am sure that is how I failed lots of exams in my day. Read the question.

I must say we did not seriously consider the Lagoon in our buying decision even though we had a look at one.

Price at the Sydney Boat Show was Mahe $382 Aussie and Lagoon 380 $520 Aussie.

Too big a jump for me.
Old 22-03-2007, 07:16   #70

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36
It's refreshing to hear some honest answers. I've read many of the "...why did you pick boat A over boat B" and rarely do I hear people mention price. I'll admit it - when I was looking at cats I considered the Gemini because it was about the least expensive one ($160K USD or so). When the Mahe 36 came along at the intro price of $197k I jumped on it. All the other cats (as Redbull and DtM mentioned) were at *least* $50k higher. It's all about the money...

As for the Mahe's sailing, I'll be able to give you some first hand experience after next week. Although I've had her for over a month now, I am sorry to say I haven't had the chance to take her out. But now my move to NC is at hand and next week I (along with an experienced captain) will sail her from Ft. Lauderdale to Southport NC. I'd be happy to share my experience after the trip.
Old 22-03-2007, 11:31   #71

Boat: Mahe 36 -OPTIONS-
Hi Dksailing
I like to know if you have the factory bimini or you are installing one here? You are right, the price had to do a lot with the decision on chossing the boat, at the same time the Mahe36 happend to be a good boat. We shall enjoy it.I am getting mine hopefully in july.
Mark
Old 22-03-2007, 11:41   #72

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36
Mark,
I got the factory bimini. I will agree it's less than perfect and does nothing to protect the helm. However the only way I can see making a bimini that will protect the helm requires it to be substantially higher - and that means the boom needs to be raised. I'll live with it for a while and see how it goes...

In hindsight I would elect to do more things after-market instead of selecting factory options (the bimini being one). I realized options were (generally) over-priced, but you have to weigh in the convenience factor.
Old 31-03-2007, 08:05   #73

Boat: Alura 30
Well it looks like things are moving with our Mahe.It will be shipped to guadeloupe very shortly.My wife and I will be heading down there to sail her back to Tampa..this should be a good test for the Mahe.I will bring back a lot of pictures and hopefully some interesting stories....JC.
Old 31-03-2007, 08:26   #74

Looking forward to seeing your pictures and hearing your impressions! Keep us posted.
Old 20-04-2007, 04:47   #75

I've enjoyed reading this post. I just discovered how affordable a Mahe is, and am looing forward to learning more about them. But i have one question off the bat...does anyone know what the headroom is inside...I'm 6'3" and I don't want to be hunched over in the boat I'm gonna live on.

Tags
mahe 36