Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:59   #16

Boat: Lagoon 500
Re: Orana 44 Feedback

Graham,

maybe you should invest in what happend to an Orana 44 called 'sv occasione' before you take delivery.

saw the boat in Nieuwpoort last week, always llike the look of thrm so went to say hello....

ai...ai
Old 03-04-2012, 12:33   #17

Hi Poco Loco,
Yes I heard about that boat and it seems to have also crossed the Atlantic at the same time as SV SARA, and in fact both owners are Norwegian. I can only assume that both bought their boats at the same time from the same production run.
I've searched a lot for info on 'sv occasione', but to no avail as most items that were posted online ( if not all ) now appear to revert through to a web site that stop you dead in your tracks, so I can only assume the outcome was very serious. To be honest, and I know this is a long shot I would have hoped the broker I am dealing with at A & C Yacht Brokers in Martinique, has been completely upfront and honest with the information on his listing. I do also understand that integrity is not a strong point with some in business today.

Anyway, I have Bob Goodchild from Flying Fish in Grenada going to Martinique to do the haul out inspection, sea trial etc and he comes very highly recommended and is from what I've heard and read very, very thorough.

Thanks for your heads up though and if anyone out there has any information on the quality of the boats built during 2010, and they know of issues then I would be really grateful to hear from you/them.

Regards
Graham
vercoe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 16:57   #18

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44

I understand one of the main problems with Occasione was the main windows were leaking and the owner did not trust anyone other than Fountaine Pajot to undertake the repair. Anyway, for what ever reasons Occasione was shipped back to Europe and repaired and the owner is now happy and sailing her in the Med.

I own an Orana that came out of the yard at around the same time as Occasione. Coincidently we arrived in St Lucia with Occasione and Sarra at the sime time having crossed the Atlantic.

I have to confess before I bought the Orana the brocker had a hard time convincing me this was the boat for me for serious liveaboard cruising. However, after almost two years sailing the Orana and comparing her with other cats I see, I am now convinced the Orana is a super boat that is realy well thought out and easy to sail. Fountaine Pajot have packed many years of experience into her design and construction which in many cases is way a head of other new cats. For me the Orana is one of the best cruising cats in the size range.

Aluna
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 22:51   #19

Hi Aluna,
Thanks for the info. Having completed my trip to Marinique, as previously mentioned in this thread, I am now the proud owner of the afeorementioned S/Y SARA. Great boat and it suits me just right. Boat now in St Lucia and I'm back there in August to sail the boat back to NZ.

Graham
vercoe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Graham,

Congratulations.. We have two Orana in our fleet and both of them are in very good shape respectively after 4 and 2 years of charter. I have sailed Xenia (the older one) for more than 20.000 nm abd recently completed Marmaris-CArinnean-Marmaris in 6 months and 14.000 nm. I am not a conservative sailor and forced the boat to the limits most of the time. Yet, nothing was broken and the boat is in perfect shape. With folfing props, a spinneaker and new sails we had a very fast passages. (Las Palmas-St Lucia 17 days, Tortolla-Horta less than 2 weeks..) December in the med we had beaten in 40 kts winds form 60 degrees averaging +9 kts of speed over ground in 3rd reef. It wasn't comfortable but nothing was broken in the terribly short and steepy med waves..
Enjoy it..
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52   #21

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44

Well well, it is a small world. You have got a good boat there. We may see you on the way to NZ as we are heading in that direction. But don't move too quick there is so much to see in the Caribbean and I don't mean the Windwards and Leewards. Fair winds..

Aluna
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercoe5 View Post
Hi Aluna,
Thanks for the info. Having completed my trip to Marinique, as previously mentioned in this thread, I am now the proud owner of the afeorementioned S/Y SARA. Great boat and it suits me just right. Boat now in St Lucia and I'm back there in August to sail the boat back to NZ.

Graham

Hi Graham, Congrats on your new Orana 44! You have a PM...

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:32   #23

Quote: "I understand one of the main problems with Occasione was the main windows were leaking and the owner did not trust anyone other than Fountaine Pajot to undertake the repair. Anyway, for what ever reasons Occasione was shipped back to Europe and repaired and the owner is now happy and sailing her in the Med."

I can confirm that, "Occasione" is lying one boat up from me at the moment and the owner is very happy with her now. I had the grand tour and it is one of the nicest and most complete Orana´s I have ever seen. She is really kitted out for serious cruising.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:15   #24

Hi Graham, Congrats on your purchase. I was looking at the good ship Sara as well but you beat me to her. Are you still on track to sail back to NZ in August? I have just secured the last Orana from the factory ex demo boat and will be sailing it back to NZ over next couple of years. I was not aware of blistering problems/osmosis until reading threads today hope they have it sorted.
Billslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 14:40   #25

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Doublehanded over Atlanteren? - SEILmagasinet
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 19:21   #26

Vercoe5
How did your purchase go were there any obvios traps to be aware of...the reason I ask is that I am interested in hull #38 located over there.
One of the big problems is that I do not have the time to sail it back to Australia if I can sort that I think I would be a serious bidder

Regards Schmacko
Schmacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 19:33   #27

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle

In the FWIW category, we just completed a circumnavigation in our Orana, hull #21 ... aside from reinforcing the traveller/cockpit top with an additional support pole, the boat's structural and mechanical systems performed flawlessly over 27,000 miles of sailing. We do have some blistering/osmosis-like bubbles at and around the waterline, a condition which F-P quickly agreed to cover under warranty, on a schedule amenable to our timing needs.

We had/have a bit of a leak on the front starboard corner of the salon window, where water seeps in behind the corner covering and finds its way to the ceiling mold-in on the forward starboard space (we have owner's version), but they sent us new corner covers and I expect that problem will resolve itself this winter, when the yard replaces the two matte black corners.

Happy to elaborate ... details of some of our upgrades (mostly handholds, reefing improvements, and solar, etc.) in our blog.

"Money's just something to throw off the back of a train;
Got a head full of lightning, and a hat full of rain."
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 20:16   #28

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

[QUOTE=jglauds;1013757]g. We do have some blistering/osmosis-like bubbles at and around the waterline, a condition which F-P quickly agreed to cover under warranty, on a schedule amenable to our timing needs.

That's very interesting, FP told me their warranty does not extend above the waterline.
They also do not cover boats once they have been sold on so no second hand boats have any warranty.

Be warned that some boats which have been repaired below the waterline then suffer secondary blistering above the waterline.

So far FP have offered to assist me with technical advice but no warranty for the above mentioned reasons.

So far I have been waiting two months for answers on what is causing the blisters and how they should be repaired.

FPs built in the last ten years seem to have random blistering, some boats are fine whist others are not.

It seems bizarre that they continue to build boats with this issue, possibly the savings in production cost are greater than the warranty payouts.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 17:27   #29

Yeloya....please see personal messages

Schmacko
Schmacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 08:03   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here is the unfortunate sales pitch for Orana #1. I used Bing translate on this one.

This ORANA 44' building N ° 1 is a boat with processing, material and workmanship: complete Salon door fell out, both roles of Genoa broke, stood the floor in the living room, the roof stands out, the whole anchor gear broke off, timing chain jumped out, rudders were self-employed, helm breaks away, in wooden boxes and kitchen block cracks caused by the tensions, rusting hinges on the refrigerator, when spraying down the window, the black sealant trickles out, also the sunroof has been forgotten, wood of the wet rooms turns black, subsequently an approx. 5 m long and 20 kg stainless steel built a traverse on the traveller, because at the first Orana's the traveller ripped out, the cheap fittings and light rust, the mirrors become blind. The entire ship has hundreds of cracks and cracks always come back in different places. Still, the ship had also osmosis, which is an absolute error of processing or Billigstmaterial, or both.

Only 100K euros! And under contract.

2007 Orana 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Tags
orana