Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2006, 12:05   #1

Opinions on the soon to be FP Salina 48?

I am new to the board, but have been lurking for some time. I have always been amazed at how many people are present and how few posts there actually are. I figured I might as well jump into the mix. So......

I really like the look of the new FP Salina and wondered if anyone knew anything about it other than the scant few pictures on the FP site. i believe it is going to have a MAY/JUNE release date. The layout of the saloon and cockpit look like a real change for FP.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 13:06   #2
DtM

Hi Rock and welcome. I am pretty new to this Board myself but the crew is pretty welcoming and the information is great.

Where are you based?

The Australian FP distributor is in La Rochelle right now so maybe I can email him and get some more info.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 13:52   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Fountaine Pajot has a decent reputation and although this boat is new, I have to imagine that any boat being listed for $500,000+ USD has to be a well thought out design.

The polars don't look bad but that's about all I've seen published. At this time I don't believe there is any real world feedback.

I saw some data here:
http://www.bayacht.com/aaa/fp/FP48/A...mageindex.html

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 14:56   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
From the drawings on their website, the FP 48 looks like a very nice departure from what we've seen out of FP over the last generation. Just to reveal my bias, even though the current 43 and 46 seem to sail well, I just don't care for them. I don't like their layouts and their finishing seems rather slap-dash. The 48, on the other hand, looks very nice, as well as the new 44.

I would expect though, that the pricing will be well north of $500K -- more like $750K US.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 17:59   #5
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
The polars don't look bad but that's about all I've seen published.

Rick in Florida
The FP polars are deceptive. They only plot 20 knots of wind. A leopard 46 will smoke this Salina. I haven't seen the Salina, but I was pretty dissapointed with the Bahia, and the Belize that I saw in Annapolis just from a layout and use of space point of view - especially the cockpits.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 23:55   #6
cruiser

There's a dealer on Yacht world listing a build slot for $537,000

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1555287/0

I agree that it's no Gunboat, but the fly bridge looks intriguing

Rick in Florida
Old 27-11-2006, 04:46   #7

I don't really like the use of space in the Bahia or the Belize either, but the Salina looks like a vast improvement.

To answer one of the other question, I presently live in Indiana, but the wife and I are trying to take or retirement out of the middle, you might say, and are seriously considering cruising. Hopefully not a pipe dream. We are taking lessons and working hard to learn what we can.

Not to show my ignorance , but how do they get accurate polars before they actually have a boat built?
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 05:35   #8

Good Day all

This my first posting on this site.
I will first introduce myself. I am 52 years old and have been sailing on and off all my life, both inland and ocean. My last yacht was a 43ft Ferro which I sailed in False Bay South Africa for five years.
My wife and I are in the market looking for a Cat to go cruising the Med about a year from now. We are thinking that a 35 to 40 ft cat will be just the mak for us.
I have two questions to ask.
1) Should we sail from Cape Town to the Med through the Red Sea with Pirates in mind or via the Atlantic having to go most of ther way to South America to avoid the risk in the Indian Ocean.
2) Can someone give some idea of the cost of short term moorings around the Med so that I can work out some monthly costs.
Chris
whenwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 06:35   #9
cruiser

Rock,

Good question to which I can only make a guess. I would imagine that the polars come from their modeling software.

Rick in Florida
Old 27-11-2006, 08:02   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I think Rick's correct regarding the polars, but with all the experience the 48's designers have had in their racing boats, I bet their modeling software is pretty darn good. I wouldn't be surprised if there was less than a 5% variance between the projection and the real world experience. Regarding the pricing, having recently experienced this, note that the $537K is for the first 20 orders only, and it is no doubt the base boat price. Add $125K for your options. If you wait until you're hull #21, then add another 25%, and you are at $827K.

Whenwe -- I suggest you check out Cornell's World Cruising Routes. Heading north from S. Africa is not going to be easy, as you are heading against prevailing winds and the Agulhas Current. There is a favorable counter current once you get past Mozambique, but it puts you close to the Somali coast for a long stretch, right where the worst pirate activity is located. The other option in the Indian Ocean is to go east to Australia and then back, except you are then staying with the Southern Ocean weather for a long stretch -- and they don't call it the Roaring Forties for nuthin'! Taking the Atlantic route is long, but would probably be easier sailing with lots of trade wind conditions. Many people end up going to the Caribbean, up the east coast and then across to the Med. Of course, timing is everything. Personally, I'd take the Atlantic route.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 02:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Take a look at Tony Herrick’s cruising South Africa website: http://www.cruisingconnections.co.za/links.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 06:14   #12

Good Day GordMay
I have downloaded Tony Herrick's ebook and shall read it over the next few days thanks.
I have been informed that you can sail either side of the strong Agulhas current, depending on how close inshore it is travelling at the time.
I should leave the Cape heading up the coast at the start of winter as the westerly lows start arriving in the cape at the start of winter pushing me up to Durban.
Any thoughts
Chris
Old 30-11-2006, 06:17   #13

Hi ID

Thanks for your input, I shall look into this info and report back once I have all the info I can find for other intersted parties.
Chris ( Whenwe )
Old 30-11-2006, 06:57   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sorry, I've never been near Africa.
The Agulhas current has a nasty reputation.
Good luck,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 23:50   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
On the topic of FP's - has anyone sailed an FP Lavezzi 40?

I've looked at their specs and they seem to have a much more favourable sail/displacement (as in about 30% more) ratio than either the Broadblue 385 or the Lagoon 380. They're also the first manufacturer to obtain ISO 9001, and all their hulls are made through resin infusion which should equate to 'lighter & stronger'.

All in all it looks like an interesting boat which should blow the socks off comparable vessels.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salina 48