Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 14:02   #1

Boat: 2008 Selene 66
New FP51 to replace Saba 50

Did anyone notice the announcement of the new FP51 today?
Dauntless66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: New FP51 to replace Saba 50

Just announced to press. Public announcement in a month or so.
We have information and have taken orders already. Reply for details and pricing.
BYA2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:35   #3

They actually have pulled the Saba 50 page on the F.P. website and posted teasers for the new 51.

It was suppose to be announced at Cannes, obviously the show being cancelled changed FP’s plans.

Some really cool changes planned with this new hull too.

Can’t wait for the renderings, been hell waiting months just to get this far!
Old 11-09-2020, 13:38   #4

From Ship Yard Magazine:

Renewal and sustainable development for Fountaine-Pajot catamarans

Between the Power 67, the Isla 40, the Samana 59 and a future 51-footer, 4 catamarans were presented by Fountaine-pajot. "The Isla 40 is strategically important as an entry level catamaran. It comes after the Lucia 40, one of Fountaine-Pajot's biggest successes," says Romain Motteau. On the 51-foot sailing catamaran project, little information is revealed. Announced as "revolutionary" and "1st entirely sustainable sailing catamaran", we can imagine that it will build on the experience of the electric boat presented with Volvo in 2019 in Cannes. Materials, energies... We will wait for details to estimate the extent of the real ecological transition launched by the project.

https://www.boatindustry.com/news/34...-and-multihull
Old 11-09-2020, 13:40   #5

From Caribbean Multi-Hulls:

Fountaine Pajot NEW 51 will soon replace the SABA 50

SABA 50 is the largest Fountaine Pajot sailing catamaran that is easy to handle without a skipper. Almost 140 boats of this model have now been sailing all around the world.

The NEW 51 will be in the same vein, and will offer 4 to 6 cabins. Announced on September 3rd by Fountaine Pajot shipyard, this NEW 51 sailing catamaran will be launched early 2022. Pricelist and pictures will be released later this year.

The NEW 51 brings a lot of innovative features, including a vast flybridge and generous living areas.

NEW 51: The future is now

In terms of sustainability, this yacht offers 1.600W of integrated solar panels, which is 4 times more than the SABA 50. The ambition of Fountaine Pajot shipyard is to provide sailors with sustainable power autonomy.

Functional space on board the NEW 51

The pilot seat and controls are installed by the entrance of the inside saloon for easy access. The saloon doors opening onto the cockpit are twice larger than the Saba's. Easy circulation through the fully open deck provides an in and out galley.

Protected by the wind screen, enjoy great convivial moments with up to 14 pax around the extended dinner table. The XXL Lounge deck adds another convivial space with seats and sunbeds.

You will also love the private entrance onto the Owner's Suite directly from the cockpit.

3 layouts to suit all sailing adventures

Whether you would like to circumnavigate with your family or friends or charter a NEW 51, there is a version for your project.

The Full Maestro version has an amazing owner's suite in the whole port side hull. The starboard hull offers 3 double cabins with bathrooms.
The Maestro 5 cabins offers an owner's suite and 4 double cabins, all with private bathrooms.
The 6 cabins NEW 51 is perfect for charter use with 6 identical double cabins with bathrooms.

Whatever the version, all guest cabins have a Queen size bed facing the sea view and a private bathroom.

Sailing performance & Comfort at helm

With her mast and sails and her sail/weight ratio, the NEW 51 outperforms comparable cruising catamarans and provides smooth sailing.

She features a mast forward, supported by a strong laminated bulkhead. Her accessible boom allows better performance, is safe and easy to maintain.

This sailing catamaran has a well balanced rigging and powerful mainsail and genoa.

The mid high helm station is perfect for a family boat, as it allows to communicate easily with both the Lounge Deck and the cockpit/saloon.

https://www.caribbean-multihulls.com...-51-catamaran/
Old 16-09-2020, 06:52   #6

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

I'm unclear why they refer to it as a Flybridge as it appears to maintain the mid (sport-top) helm. I like the forward pass though window but prefer the forward facing Nav station.

I'll be keeping my Saba and her 1850W of Solar.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 08:38   #7

I have a quesiton about helm station.

Mid height helm stations very interesting for me. I prefer flybridge helm staion.

I dont have experiance about cats , what is your opinions ?

Thank you.
Pardonama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 14:49   #8

There is a fly bridge (as they have said).... they just have not released the rendering for it yet.

I too LOVE the fly bridge helm but understand the benefits of the sport helm. There will only be two of us so we were good either way.

Oh and 1600W of factory integrated solar.... I just can’t explain where until FP releases the details.
Old 17-09-2020, 06:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP51 View Post
There is a fly bridge (as they have said).... they just have not released the rendering for it yet.

I too LOVE the fly bridge helm but understand the benefits of the sport helm. There will only be two of us so we were good either way.

Oh and 1600W of factory integrated solar.... I just can’t explain where until FP releases the details.
I spoke with an FP dealer who confirmed it is not a fly bridge, rather a mid-helm similar to the Saba. You can see this from the forward looking stern drawing. They acknowledge the use of the term fly bridge (apparently to describe the sun lounge) on the website is confusing.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Old 17-09-2020, 06:50   #10

Agreed it's not the same "flybridge" as on the two larger cats and will be more similar to the smaller ones. Marketing is always playing with terms to make things sound better.

However as I have seen the rendering for it and yet FP chose not release it, this would indicate they are not finished figuring it out. They have a lot of space to work with but I think they are trying to keep the boom lower and avoid any top over it.

I had been hoping for a smaller version of the flybridge on the 59.... but I understand what the target market is for this (couples and charters) who overwhelmingly tend to prefer the split helm/flybridge.

Either way it will be rather large!
Old 17-09-2020, 08:43   #11

I spoke with the FP dealer today too. Its not a flybridge , its a sun lounge. As far as i know flybridge means the area where you controlled the ship but helm station at the mid height like saba. You can saw the drawings fp's web page , rudder at the mid height.

I wish the helm station at the fly bridge like ipanema 58 ( starboard side ) or samana 59 , so not major changes and its a new design Saba ...
Pardonama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 09:21   #12

Another consideration,

I stand watch on the vast majority of fair weather crossings from the Sun Lounge. Active Captain running on an iPad provides total control (chart, radar, AIS, autopilot, boat systems...) Visibility is better and it's far more comfortable than the helm.

The Garmin remote is also handy for dodging crab pots.

IMHO, its the mid-helm provides the best of both worlds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191102_095129.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	223565  

Old 17-09-2020, 09:27   #13

Sun lounge is a much more appropriate term, far more applicable than Fly Bridge.

Not sure I would call it a new designed Saba as it's got a lot of interesting things going on. The opening from the salon to the aft cockpit will be huge, almost nothing separating them. Even the galley bridges the two spaces once the glass is pushed back.

And a full hull master in a 51 foot boat is awesome. Would have been a deal breaker for us on this boat had it not had it as our comparison was a Leopard 58 (which is actually only 54).
Old 17-09-2020, 09:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Another consideration,

I stand watch on the vast majority of fair weather crossings from the Sun Lounge. Active Captain running on an iPad provides total control (chart, radar, AIS, autopilot, boat systems...) Visibility is better and it's far more comfortable than the helm.

The Garmin remote is also handy for dodging crab pots.

IMHO, its the mid-helm provides the best of both worlds.
The new electronics make it very easy to be anywhere on the boat when you have an ipad or surface.

My fingers are crossed that they take the integration even farther.

And with Garmin, if you have the watch you can control the boat from anywhere just via the watch. Just don't try to navigate using it
Old 17-09-2020, 09:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP51 View Post
The new electronics make it very easy to be anywhere on the boat when you have an ipad or surface.

My fingers are crossed that they take the integration even farther.

And with Garmin, if you have the watch you can control the boat from anywhere just via the watch. Just don't try to navigate using it
We use the Garmin watches paired to the Garmin network all the time (Quatix). They are very handy especially for sail trimming at the winches. The autopilot interface works fine, although I prefer the tactile buttons on the Garmin remote.

I'm not sure what additional integrations I would ask for - between the Garmin and Victron networks; virtually every system is accessible via an iPad.

Tags
Saba