Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2021, 07:30   #1

MY 37 question

We are considering chartering an MY 37 this summer and I have some questions around accessibility. I would very much appreciate some additional information and advice.

My daughter uses a wheelchair. I know there's no such thing as a wheelchair accessible yacht in this size range but maybe it will be good enough. I have looked at pictures and walk-through videos but I don't have access to the boat.

My daughter can walk with assistance but steps are really difficult. I can take her wheelchair up and down one or two steps.

I assume we would embark via the (swim) platform, and then it looks like two steps up into the ... not sure what it's called, it would be the cockpit of a sailing vessel. It would be helpful to know how wide those steps are

And then it looks like easy access to the saloon.

I don't think we could get her down into the hulls, so we would need to rig up sleeping arrangements for her in the saloon. And some kind of toilet as well.

It looks like there is a helm station off the saloon too.

Do I have this right do far?

And then there's the more difficult question: if we were mostly confined to these portions of the boat during the daytime, how enjoyable would that be? Would it seem terribly restricted? We would probably leaving the boat to visit ashore each day.

I realize this isn't ideal. But it may be the best arrangement we can find.

Thank you.
leecallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 11:27   #2

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail
Re: MY 37 question

We just purchased a used MY37. We haven't actually taken possession yet but we've been onboard and out on the water on the boat.

You haven't said how old your daughter is, or more specifically, how big is the wheelchair? If she's a child and the chair is smaller than an adult chair, you should be able to easily access the boat via the swim steps. Then the aft deck is very roomy and she would probably love the ride front that safe outdoor area! If she is small you may be able help her onto the bow of the boat, but I'm not sure. Some of the MD 37's have salon areas that convert into a bed (ours doesn't). You might want to check with the owner who is chartering and ask if salon converts to a sleeping area. If so, that would be ideal. You could always use a portable toilet of some kind. I'll try to attach a pic of the aft deck from our boat to give you idea of the size there. Good luck and have fun!

file:///Users/nancytobin/Desktop/Aft%20Deck.jpg
womensetsail is offline   Reply With Quote