Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 07:32   #1

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro
Lucia 40 / Anchor chain pyramiding

To all actual Lucia 40 owners.
Ok this as been raised on FB Group but here this is ONLY for Lucia.

I would like to know if, with the standard chain lenght of the Lucia, there is a chain pyramiding problem in the locker ?

I want to be able, if I am short handed, to raise anchor alone from the helm station and the biggest problem I had on other sailboat when anchoring is that pyramiding problem.

If this is a real issue I will design a cone preventer similar to ...
Old 04-09-2018, 06:09   #2

Re: Lucia 40 / Anchor chain pyramiding

OK this seems a sort of an answer ...

Is no reply means ... NO PROBLEM with the anchor chain pyramiding in the locker for Lucia....
GOOD NEWS
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53   #3

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Nope, it happens sometimes
Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 15:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbonium View Post
Nope, it happens sometimes
Thank you... this is not a good news because it should be a fool proof system to be able to raise the anchor alone.

I made a preliminary design and drawing inspired from the "famous" video on youtube. I think it is quite sturdy and adjustable to a certain extent.

What is missing is the dimensions of the locker, as the axis of the incoming chain, the axis of the falling chain and the overall shape of the locker with the distance of the windlass to the bottom. I will be in Annapolis Show and will take lot of dimensions there.

If other Lucia ... or any catamaran with a flat angled anchor locker that want to get one, I can ask "volume" pricing.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:44   #5

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I can't recall any cat or any of my 3 trimarans that didn't have that problem. I enjoyed seeing that youtube video; I'm surprised nobody has come up with a solution years ago!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I can't recall any cat or any of my 3 trimarans that didn't have that problem. I enjoyed seeing that youtube video; I'm surprised nobody has come up with a solution years ago!
I will do it.
But I need the chain locker dimensions of many cat to make it adjustable to the most.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:03   #7

Boat: FP Lucia 40

I should also add this is only a problem when bringing in over 70 feet of chain (which is rare of us in the shallow waters of Florida/Bahamas. Typically we only have 30-60 feet out which comes back in w/o issue.
Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbonium View Post
I should also add this is only a problem when bringing in over 70 feet of chain (which is rare of us in the shallow waters of Florida/Bahamas. Typically we only have 30-60 feet out which comes back in w/o issue.
Thank you Terbonium for the precision.

I don't have a long experience with a cat like a Lucia, but with 50ft monohulls in a med mooring 100ft+ is common (no chances to drift and hit the dock), but I agree that anchoring in the Bahamas is less risky in light conditions, but when there is a forecast for high winds during the night... I would anchor "off the crowd that will drift" and a long chain.

Will think about it...
Old 06-09-2018, 17:20   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There are short traffic cones that could be used for your purpose, too. What we used to do was stick a broom handle or the bottom of the boat hook down the hawse hole and knock the pile down.

Ann
Old 06-09-2018, 18:06   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot

I have a lipari and have the same problem. I have read that the chain size matters and by going with a smaller but sturdier chain it can relieve the pyramiding problem. Has anyone had any experience of changing the chain dimensions?
Seapatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 20:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapatience View Post
I have a lipari and have the same problem. I have read that the chain size matters and by going with a smaller but sturdier chain it can relieve the pyramiding problem. Has anyone had any experience of changing the chain dimensions?

Thank you Seapatience.
You confirm that seem to be a constant problem with modern boats where accomodation takes all the place ...opposing ? to seamanship qualities. This is OK, I am of those that like that, but some remedy need to be adopted to solve the small place allowed to the anchir operation.

Can you give me the overall dimensions of the chain locker of the Lipari... locker, chain falling position, height etc.
I will include it in my desing.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:42   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
There are short traffic cones that could be used for your purpose, too. What we used to do was stick a broom handle or the bottom of the boat hook down the hawse hole and knock the pile down.

Ann
We have kids to operate the broom stick

But yeah its a plague, and has been on all out cats.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapatience View Post
I don't think a "better chain" will solve the problem... BUT a NEW chain for sure beacause it is much less friction due to corrosion and weeds and will definitively slide to a flatter pyramid.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
We have kids to operate the broom stick

But yeah its a plague, and has been on all out cats.
For sure plastic cones and broom is the norm for freshwater skipper Ha Ha
Old 07-09-2018, 06:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
To all actual Lucia 40 owners.
Ok this as been raised on FB Group but here this is ONLY for Lucia.

I would like to know if, with the standard chain lenght of the Lucia, there is a chain pyramiding problem in the locker ?

I want to be able, if I am short handed, to raise anchor alone from the helm station and the biggest problem I had on other sailboat when anchoring is that pyramiding problem.

If this is a real issue I will design a cone preventer similar to ...
No need for a fancy cone... a simple partial bulkhead directly under the chain pipe will do.

About half the height of the final chain pile is right. as the chain starts to fill the locker, it is diverted to one side then the other by the bulkhead, keeping it relatively flat. By the time it reaches the top of the bulkhead, there isn't chain left to pile high enough to be a problem.

If you have a poorly designed anchor locker without enough vertical drop to really handle the amount of chain you need to carry, the best compromise might be stainless steel chain.

SS anchor chain is not my favorite. It is expensive in good grades, and only good grades should be used. BUT... it's smoothness means that it doesn't stack up nearly as high as galvanized chain. I wouldn't normally recommend it, but in this situation, it can be the best compromise available.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor