Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 04:08   #1

Lavezzi rudder bearings

Survey just done on the new to me 2009 Lavezzi 40. Good news is the osmosis treatment done 6 years ago is holding out well. There was some play in one rudder and the other side was somewhat stiff so it looks like I need to do the rudder bearings. Where is the best place to source these bearings out?
lyleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 08:20   #2

Re: Lavezzi rudder bearings

I have located a source for these JP3 bearings. International Boat Spares) For those that have done this is it necessary to replace the aluminum outer race as well or only the inner bearings? Thanks in advance.
Old 16-04-2022, 14:23   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleh View Post
I have located a source for these JP3 bearings. International Boat Spares) For those that have done this is it necessary to replace the aluminum outer race as well or only the inner bearings? Thanks in advance.
Good source. What outer aluminum race?
Replace completely and get an extra set of inner ones, they wear faster and good to have spare. Suggest to get 3 spray cans of Teflon spray, clean out the aluminum tube and then spray a can in each tube from both ends. The 3rd can spray the stainless ruder posts and wipe them down.
When having the rudder posts out I highly recommend to drill a hole through where the steering arm clamps to the rudder post. Replace the 2 clamping studs with a bolt that goes through. The clamping force is to weak and the rudder will start to move inside the clamp.... Especially if the rudder hitting the limiter when reversing and you don't hold the wheel.
For that you need to manufacture a holding bracket to lock the wheel, with my 50hp engines its impossible to hold the wheel with one hand without the lock.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 17:37   #4

Quote:
The race corrodes, which is what causes the bearings to freeze because the aluminum oxide takes up more space than the aluminum. I justed sanded mine down (the Mahe has the same bearing) as the pitting wasn't bad and I am planning to just replace the bearings every 3 years with a bottom paint going forward so I can keep an eye on them. I will warn you that at least in my case it was impossible to remove the bearings without several hours of destructive attacks if various kinds on the old bearing. I managed not to ding or scratch the races when doing that, but if you aren't careful you may very well damage them removing the bearing. So depending on lead times and how long you'll be in the yard it might be a good idea to proactively order the races.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 08:52   #5

Thanks for the info. Good advice. I’m pretty sure the bearings are original so they probably won’t come out easily. How high did you have to block the boat to drop the rudders?
Old 17-04-2022, 17:04   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Good advice. I’m pretty sure the bearings are original so they probably won’t come out easily. How high did you have to block the boat to drop the rudders?
I have a Mahe so the height would be different (plus I don't remember!). I just measured the rudder post height inside the boat and told the yard to make sure the bottom of the rudder was at least that high plus a couple inches off the ground and they came through for me.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 12:09   #7

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

On Lavezzi the problem is not sh bad then on a Mahe, they come out easier. You remove the rudder when in the slings of the lift and you mount them when back in the slings to be nauled in. Soak she lower bearing and outer race in teflon, best use a spray. Especially the inner ones, give them a several coats... Spray les it soak for a day, and next coats... Plastic soa s in the teflon over time. Outer races are laminated in on Lavezzi.
I am on the dry dock at the moment and have the bearings removed, not the outer races
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:18   #8

Do you happen to have any photos of the bearings or when you removed them? So the lower outer races are laminated to the hull? The rudders have just been removed and I am trying to figure out what parts I will need to order. Unfortunately I am trying to do this from afar and relying on the yard to give me the information.
Old 30-07-2022, 08:40   #9

The yard just removed the lower races and rudder tubes on my Lavezzi. I had hoped to replace only the lower balls but the starboard lower race was too worn and the port rudder tube was badly corroded almost to the point of failure. The lower races were not laminated in but still had to be cut out to remove them which also meant cutting the rudder tubes. Now it is just trying to get the required parts. The lower race is available but it appears the rudder tubes are harder to source. Here are a few photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6A5D674-AB79-40DB-82F3-78D1C1CFA38D.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	261884   Click image for larger version

Name:	527205BD-41F9-4A86-864D-900DE4BFD209.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	261885  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2C05D0E8-E78C-4EEA-8318-23675342A968.jpeg