Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2024, 09:45   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 35
Isla 40, reefing from cockpit

The standard layout for the Isla 40 reefing points 2 and 3 on the main requires someone on board to go up to the mast, loop a flat line through the reefing point on the mainsail, and attach it back to a clip on the other side of the mast to create the new tack. Is there a common adjustment to make this doable entirely from the cockpit of the boat?
Zhent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 09:55   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 27
Re: Isla 40, reefing from cockpit

I'm looking at boats now and I've seen a lot of them make this adjustment. I'm in the process of closing on a boat that doesn't have 2 and 3 in the cockpit so I'll be making those adjustments as well once I close on it.

If anyone has diagrams/part lists/suggestions of how to do it. that would be great!
blackc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 11:01   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Posts: 9,787
Re: Isla 40, reefing from cockpit

I would ask the designer. Maybe there is a reason.


More spaghetti in the cockpit for something you won't often use. Are there clew lines pre-roven for #3? They can be long and in the way.


Choices.
__________________
Gear Testing--Engineering--Sailing
https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 11:30   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 27
Re: Isla 40, reefing from cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I would ask the designer. Maybe there is a reason.


More spaghetti in the cockpit for something you won't often use. Are there clew lines pre-roven for #3? They can be long and in the way.


Choices.
Don't really want this to diviate into a debate... Just asking other people how they have done it and what was needed. There's plenty of ISLA's out there that have run #2&3 back to the cockpit.
blackc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 14:43   #5
Marine Service Provider
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Posts: 3,706
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Isla 40, reefing from cockpit

I would almost bet serious cash that all FPs had reef 1 and 2 at the helm. Then again, reef 2's tack at the helm, may be an option. The issue with reef 3 tack and clew at the helm is the volume of line.

Can you retrofit this? If there are slots in the organizers and turning blocks at the mast (or room for more) yes. Like most production boats designers, FP guys are lazy (efficient). Look at other new FPs and see how they route the lines from the mast to the helm.

It is important to know that whenever you set reef 1, you have to take the slack out of 2 and 3. To avoid a mess, it is prudent to pull on all 3 lines. Likewise, when you set #2, you have to pull the slack out of 3. Why?

Because if when setting 1, the line for 2 gets pinched inside the sail, when you need 2, you will think it is set, until the previously fouled reef 2 frees itself and sail starts flogging.

Trust me- I've made that mistake... Once :>)

Final thought- don't be intimidated about going forward. Learn to set jacklines whenever you go out. The good news is that 'some folks' have been known to use the pre-rigged jib and spare halyard that runs from the helm to the mast as a jackline. Not exactly by-the-book-- but it will get you there, if needed.
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 17:28   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 35
Re: Isla 40, reefing from cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackc2004 View Post
I'm looking at boats now and I've seen a lot of them make this adjustment. I'm in the process of closing on a boat that doesn't have 2 and 3 in the cockpit so I'll be making those adjustments as well once I close on it.

If anyone has diagrams/part lists/suggestions of how to do it. that would be great!

I'm still looking, but haven't found anything myself - if you do come across anything send it my way, thank you



Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I would ask the designer. Maybe there is a reason.
More spaghetti in the cockpit for something you won't often use. Are there clew lines pre-roven for #3? They can be long and in the way.
Choices.

Thanks, and good points. I think it's a toss up between accessibility and safety on both sides. Where we are sailing right now, I am more comfortable and expect more willing to reef if it doesn't require a trip to the mast, especially since we often sail just two on board.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I would almost bet serious cash that all FPs had reef 1 and 2 at the helm. Then again, reef 2's tack at the helm, may be an option. The issue with reef 3 tack and clew at the helm is the volume of line.

Can you retrofit this? If there are slots in the organizers and turning blocks at the mast (or room for more) yes. Like most production boats designers, FP guys are lazy (efficient). Look at other new FPs and see how they route the lines from the mast to the helm.

It is important to know that whenever you set reef 1, you have to take the slack out of 2 and 3. To avoid a mess, it is prudent to pull on all 3 lines. Likewise, when you set #2, you have to pull the slack out of 3. Why?

Because if when setting 1, the line for 2 gets pinched inside the sail, when you need 2, you will think it is set, until the previously fouled reef 2 frees itself and sail starts flogging.

Trust me- I've made that mistake... Once :>)

Final thought- don't be intimidated about going forward. Learn to set jacklines whenever you go out. The good news is that 'some folks' have been known to use the pre-rigged jib and spare halyard that runs from the helm to the mast as a jackline. Not exactly by-the-book-- but it will get you there, if needed.

Thanks, great points as well. The compromise of only sending 2 back and keeping 3 at the mast may be where we head, the points about having a ton of extra line are well founded. As above, while we gain experience and miles, I don't want to find myself in a position where I didn't reef where we should have.



I plan on doing the reconfigure myself, so I should be able to undo whatever is required when we do gain more experience and ability to head to the mast in the future!
Zhent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cockpit

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Info: Older FP reefing at mast. How do you lock the front reefing eye and optimise that CaptainRivet Fountaine Pajot 3 24-08-2023 19:25
Cockpit Reefing - Sail Slug & Track Mods lockie Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 6 12-07-2014 10:11
Crew Available: Caribbean: Isla de Mona and Isla Saona asamson Crew Archives 0 29-04-2013 01:38
Beneteau 50 In Mast Reefing vs Slab Reefing simon10 Monohull Sailboats 20 11-09-2008 06:22

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.