Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 22:10   #61

Boat: Mahe 36
I think it is I who should be saying "Wow". Your input is very helpful and I agree that the first thing I need to do is put together a drawing of what I actually have. I should be able to figure out which wires go where using voltage as you suggest. Once I have that in place I think it will be easier to figure out how to approach things. I will post it here when I get it all together. Also, Martin, I would love to have more details on your set up as you say you have the same processors etc. No worries about getting it to me quickly, this is a long term project that I want to get set up right so I am in no hurry. All this being said I am trying to figure out if I will really need to be able to control the autopilot using my computer. I don't think I will need this as I don't plan any ocean crossings and will be mostly coastal cruising where I like to be in control of autopilot myself. Also I will likely add a second autopilot control inside so it will be easy to make change suggested/based on computer. Can anyone talk me out of/into computer control of my autopilot? It seems like this is an important decision because if I don't need computer control then I only have to work on getting data to computer and not back.
Am I on the right track?
thanks again for all the help and hopefully this discussion will help some others,
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:27   #62

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Handheld Remote Autopilot at the nav station

lstyles,

I have a laptop or pocket PC at the nav station to show the rum line. They are not connected to the autopilot.
We use the remote autopilot at the nav station. Works for us and gives us more control and no need to run to the helm to steer around something.

Handheld Remote Autopilot at the nav station

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post525169

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:03   #63

Boat: Mahe 36
Mark,
It was your previous post on the remote autopilot control that made me want to do this. I have a question though. What is your computer hooked up to at the nav station if its not hooked up to the autopilot. GPS? Instruments?
thanks,
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:26   #64

Community Sponsor

lstyles,

Our laptop is just plugged into a 12 volt plug and we have a small USB GPS antenna that has a suction cup on the back which we stick to the port saloon window.

We have identical rum lines on both my Laptop and Garmin 5208 chart plotter at the helm.

It’s a very simple system that has worked for us for years.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USB GPS.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	23532  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:06   #65

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Lori
Here is my 2 cents. I had so much trouble with the centralize Furuno server, that I had it ripped out and replaced with the standard Furuno network using a hub as the interface for all the Furuno electronics. I lost the central processor 3 times, once while crossing the gulf stream to the Bahamas. The word "central processor", means single point of failure, when it goes so do ALL the instruments. I also had the Autopilot processor moved to inside the Nav Station (plenty of room). I don't know why Pochon installs a unit in an engine compartment when the Manufacturer states that it needs to be in a climate controlled environment. On my boat, the network cabling was of the non-shielded type. It was all replaced with shielded Cat-5 cable. I have not had a failure of any of the electronics since. Since I put in a Furuno Chart plotter, I manage all my way points from there at the Helm station. Now the Furuno GPS at the Nav is just a back up. I also use a small Garmin 478 Chartplotter as back up and anchor drag alarm, as well as a similar Lap Top set up with GPS antenna as Mark, I would love to add the remote control to the auto pilot as Mark has done, that would just be the icing on the cake.
As you can see, lots of redundant, independant systems on my boat. No more single points of failure for me.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 13:55   #66

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Autopilot input

Lori,
I like to have the autopilot input. However it is not essential, is is "nice to have". Sometimes you really want to run on a fixed track, which is possible in the autopilot's NAV mode which requires XTE input and so on. It also nicely compensates for drift and currents. And if you have checked your track in NAV mode, by zooming in on the plotter, for presence of objects on the map like shallows and buoys and so, the chances of hitting them are low. If you do not set your waypoint on a buoy....

I agree fully with having backup systems and not relying on central things.
In the setup that we have, the Simrad AT10 has failed twice. However in this case there is no big issue. Main thing is that the autopilot does not work in wind mode anymore, so then you have to adjust the autoplot for wind shifts, or steer manually. We have lived with that for more than a month.
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 18:26   #67

Community Sponsor

Wireless Remote Engine Temperature Monitor

Mahes,

I have always wanted an actual engine temp. gage instead of the factory temperature alarm.
Purchased two of these Wireless Remote Temperature Monitors.
Installed the probe on the side of the engine next to the factory alarm probe.
Taped it on with foil heating tape and a zip tie.
The Transmitter is two face taped on the port side of the engine compartment.
The Receivers are two face taped below the helm wheel.
These cost $25 to $30 each and take about 45 minutes to install.

http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/PROGRAMMABLE-MEAT-THERMOMETER-WITH-TRANSMITTER-AND-RECEIVER-ET-71Os.htm

http://www.giftngadget.com/gng-maverick-et71os.html

http://www.partshelf.com/maverick-et71-os.html

They really work great and its nice to see the actual temp before hand so you know were the engines run or if you have some growth in the sail drives that needs to be cleaned out.

Note: get rid of the original AA batteries and put in real good ones. The originals only lasted one month.

Well worth the $60 upgrade for both engines.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Temp1.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	25571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp2 Port.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	25572  

Name:	Temp3 Port.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	25573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp4 Port.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	25574  

Name:	Temp5 Helm.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	25575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp6 STB.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	25576  

Name:	Temp7 STB.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	25577  
Old 30-03-2011, 08:21   #68

Boat: Alura 30
Re: Instruments

I am amazed how ingenious some of you can be,this Temperature probe is really the answear.We are leaving for the Bahamas next saturday,so I will install it when we get back.So simple and inexpensive.Mark let us know how this work.
Thanks.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 15:54   #69

Boat: Fontaine Pajot, Mahe 36 - Ascension

Hi all!

I recently purchased an ECOPILOT 2202047 to cut the consumption of the FURUNO NAVpilot-511, I connected in parallel with the original connector as detailed in ECOPILOT instructions, and the posts above, initial rudder test all appered OK however after a few minutes and a few helm movements the Navpilot displays error;

DISCONNECT B/C

I believe this maybe the autopilot detecting a lack of current on the bypass/clutch circuit.

Would certainly appreciate any advice, info or experience regarding this error. Its particularly frustrating as the pilot seems to work fine for a while, and the system data screen is showing a definate reduction on B/C circuit.

Thanks in advance
John
Old 23-06-2011, 01:08   #70

Boat: Switch 51 #10
B/C disconnect error of Furuno autopilot

John,
I had the same B/C disconnect error PRIOR to installing the Ecopilot. This was a warranty case, so a man from the Dutch distributor of Furuno came and installed a relay. The relay coil was connected to the bypass valve output of the autopilot; the relay contacts connected the bypass solenoid to +12V.
At the same time the service technician upgraded the software of the autopilot.
He himself had no idea WHY this solution worked, he just knew it did. I have no idea either, being an electronics master myself...
Later I installed the ecopilot. No problem. This spring I removed the relay. No problem.

The above is not a solution or explanation, but it may add to solve the puzzle.
What happens if you switch back to prior situation?
Good luck,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 12:29   #71

Boat: Fontaine Pajot, Mahe 36 - Ascension

Jef
Many thanks for your reply and the info. I wonder if the B/C disconnect warning is set a little sensitive and your software upgrade sorted it? Interesting work around with the relay. Fortunately I found that when I change back to the original connector plug all works fine.

I also emailed Lecomble & Schmitt re the fault and received a prompt and helpful response, they suspect a fault with the Ecopilot and are sending a replacement, they also sent a revised installation pdf (attached) with a polarity warning, and a note not to connect the earth... I'm certain though that my unit was correctly connected polarity wise, having worked back and connected to the NAVPilot board.

Will let you know how the replacement goes.

Thanks again
John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NOT-034B-2202047-ECOPILOT-FRANCAIS-ANGLAIS.pdf (156.0 KB, 199 views)
Old 05-07-2011, 20:39   #72

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Re: Instruments - Triducer

Guys

About 2 years ago, my wind, depth and speed gauges stopped working. I had them fixed under warranty from Furuno, but about 3 or 4 months later, they stopped working again. As I was sailing in familiar territory, and the warranty had run out, I decided to wait until our winter before working on it. The triducer I have is an Airmar Smart Tri Multi Sensor Triducer IDST800-N2000. Has anyone had any problems with their (True) wind, dept and speed readings?

JohnC
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 00:10   #73

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Re: Simrad NMEA2000 / NMEA0183 conversion module

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
JohnC,

Was down at the boat, so I took a picture of where the
Simrad NMEA2000 / NMEA0183 conversion module is on my boat.

Mark
Mark

I have taken a photo of the boxes behind the fridge. Thank you for labelling your boxes as I now know what they are for. Unfortunately, I could not find the Simrad conversion module that is on your boat. Do you also have a triducer on Cotemar?

Cheers!

JohnC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0444.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	29927  
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 04:19   #74

Community Sponsor

JohnC,

You are in the right place, that is where they put my Simrad NMEA2000 / NMEA0183 conversion module.

I have the factory installed Airmar Triducer DST800 Depth/Speed/Temp Sensor, NMEA2000 device.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Circuit diagr Mahe Furuno003.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	29929  
Attached Images

Old 26-07-2011, 06:35   #75

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"

Guys
I had major problems with my Furuno gear, I eventually had the entire system replaced under Warranty. There are a few problems if you are using the 30 series instruments. Problem number one is that the 30 series are only produced and installed by Furuno France, and Furuno USA first refused to fix the units. I had to take this issue all the way to Furuno Japan to get resolution and had the network and instruments all replaced with the 50 series using the standard Furuno ethernet network. In a nut shell, on the 30 series system, all instruments run back to a mini server, if you will, behind the Fridge. This black box is a single point of failure and on mine the voltage would get to high and the server would die. Resulting in a lose of all my equipment. We initially installed a capacitor to limit the voltage to the unit to no more than 12.5 volts, seemed to work for a while. But it happened again while off shore on a night cruise. This really pushed me over the edge and I started contacting everyone I could find phone numbers for at Furuno. Furuno France ending up paying for the rewiring of the new and removal of the old system, and Furuno USA paid for the material. I would also note that the network wiring on my boat was unshielded non twisted cable. I had all of that replaced with Cat 5 and a standard hub replaced the server. NO more problems. I also had Furuno move the AutoPilot control unit from the engine hold to behind the nav station since it CLEARLY stated in the owners manual that the unit should only be placed in a controlled environment.
Hope this helps.

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36