Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 08:03   #61

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
FYI, the standard FP hull warranty is 5 years and is not automatically transferrable to the new Owner. The 5 years is, I believe, an EU statutory warranty so you'll find that Lagoon, FP, Beneteau etc. are all very similar.

On our boat, we negotiated with FP to have the warranty transferred to us as second owners. FP have further offered a 3 year warranty on the osmosis repair works (so a total of 8 years!). So, no worries there.

FP have issued a very detailed specification for repairs which in essence is a peel, and layup of two layers of glass mat with epoxy resin. It'll be stronger than the original hull so the hassle is probably worth it. It will, however add some weight to the boat but probably not too much when you account for the removal of the gel coat.

Hope that helps.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 16:12   #62

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Thanks for all the info, I've asked FP to clarify the position of the warranty they are offering in English.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 18:07   #63

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 hull 157
Specs for the repairs

Perhaps while you're talking to the relevant person you could get the specs for the peel, Dragon Lady...what type weave or (unidirectional) and the weight of glass etc...I'm coming around to thinking you really might have a boat "better than new" with a properly done peel...Probably worth factoring in as a preventative measure...my current monohull had the polyester overcoated with two coats of epoxy in 1989; surveyed this year with no evidence of osmosis...Any one have any idea what weight/m2 the repair would add?...I won't be racing so I'll pay the price...cheers
bludden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 14:48   #64

I finally got my hands on a copy of the repair scheme which my friend used to repair an FP that they had on their slip.
Please note this is NOT THE FACTORY SPEC, as I was originally lead to believe it was this is just the recommendation by a local shipwright, so it holds no weight in any warranty issues that anyone has.

Recommended repair scheme for osmosis damage to FP hull
  • Remove gel coat and tie layer
  • Detail surface to remove any remaining imperfections
  • At least every 2 or 3 days wash exposed area until moisture readings are mainly under 50 (on Tramax moisture meter)
  • Seal surface by rolling on one coat of vinyl ester resin
  • Apply one layer of 225 gsm CSM all over underwater surface using viny ester resin. Thoroughly wetting out and using consolidator to eliminate air bubbles.
  • Rough sand surface
  • Roll on 2 coats Fibretech vinyl ester fill coat and sand surface.
  • Fill and fair hull by screeding with Aquagaurd top coat thickened with Q-cells.
  • Thoroughly sand surface – boarding off first to attain fairness
  • Apply one coat epoxy primer
  • Apply one coat epoxy sealer
  • Apply 2 coats antifouling wit a 3rd coat on waterline and edges of keel and rudder.

I hope this helps but please take it as a recommendation only.
Old 13-09-2011, 13:32   #65

Re: Hulls Issues on Fountaine Pajots

Stumbled onto this on YouTube, quite interesting how they build the boats.
I also heard that FP are being quite cooperative but slow on reconciling warranty issues now. There was a report of a rather large payout to a US customer in the US court system recently. Lets hope everyone can have their issues addressed and get on with enjoying these great boats.

Tags
fountaine pajot