Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 00:39   #16

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
Thanks. We have a walker bay genesis 3.1 with a Suzuki 15 hp 4 stroke electric start with fuel etc a bit on the heavy side. May be ok just think a winch may make it easier. I will measure the 48 and see if it will fit

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:10   #17

A harken 48.2ST base measures 180cm but by the time you put the winch on it is more like 195cm so probably too big. Looks like I need to go look for a 44 or 42

Thanks

Old 03-09-2013, 03:26   #18

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres
Re: Hull

Our dinghy is 3.1 metres but we only have 6hp OB so total weight around 80kg. One other point to consider is that there is limited swinging room where the winch is sited - the back of the seat/backrest and the rails means it can be hard to get a comfortable stance.
Gary
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 12:03   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

I'm a first time owner and it's time to paint the hulls. Because of timing and distance I'm choosing not to do it myself. She's in Annapolis and winter's in the Bahamas.

I'm looking for tips from those who have been through this.

I've gotten a number of $4,100 in the Bahamas, all in but the paint they intend to use is illegal in the US which tells me probably not good for the environment.

I've gotten a number here in the Chesapeake using "Micron Extra" for around 40% less.

Before I pull the trigger do y'all have any suggestions, comments, etc? I'm all ears.

Mark
mbuckely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 12:13   #20
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I assume you are talking about anti-fouling paint and that does seem like an extremely high estimate! What is your current anti-fouling paint? I personally prefer multiple coats (with different colors) of ablative as it does not build up an one can ascertain wear by noting the colour differential. Regardless, you will have to ensure that the paint that they apply is compatible with what is on there now, or else it will need to be stripped down to the gelcoat.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:04   #21

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckely View Post
I've gotten a number of $4,100 in the Bahamas, all in but the paint they intend to use is illegal in the US which tells me probably not good for the environment.

I've gotten a number here in the Chesapeake using "Micron Extra" for around 40% less.

Before I pull the trigger do y'all have any suggestions, comments, etc? I'm all ears.

Mark
Defender sells Micron Extra for $230 a gallon and you need about 3 gallons.
That is $700 for paint. If your in a pinch and can not do the work yourself then paying a marina $2000 would not be out of the question. You will see other boats in that same yard going to the Bahamas with Micron Extra on there bottom. I was just at Pleasure Cove marina in the Chesapeake and they were putting Micro Extra on two FP Helia 44 that will be going to the Bahamas and BVI.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:10   #22

Not sure about the US but in OZ we are about to haul and anti foul. The boat came from the factory with reasonable paint but nothing on the legs and props. The paint from the factory is not available in OZ so we have to change. We are going to boat works on the Queensland Gold Coast. The guys will apply primer, then 3 coats micron 66. Trilux 33 to the legs and propspeed to the folding props. Cost just over 1700 AUD. We have to pay for the haul pressure wash and hard stand. About another 600 and we will have the 200 hour service done while out including swap zincs etc about another 800.

Tags
hull