Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 15:15   #1

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Lipari 41
Haul out lipari on a trailer?

Hi, Has anyone hauled out a lipari on a trailer supported under the , what support is needed and where did you position the supports?
coriobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:00   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Haul out lipari on a trailer?

FP move their boats several miles from the factory to the water supported under the bridge deck. Ask FP direct where to support the boat. That's what we did with our FP Maldives twice a year for 10 years. We dried the boat out on the slipway and jacked the boat onto a trailer. The Lipari is much heavier but the principle would be the same.
Have a look at a You tube video of FP moving a big cat to the water with a specially designed articulating trailer that heels the boat while moving to miss street furniture etc.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:30   #3

Boat: Oram

I used 200 C channel to make a 4m long x 2.5 m wide rectangular frame + another 4m for drawbar with 15 inch land cruiser rims/tyres, 75 x4 box section in each corner with 5m long 100 x 65 lvl timber wrapped in carpet running for and aft placed about 50mm from where the chamfer panel meets the bridgedeck
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:25   #4

Here is the video of how FP move their boats. https://outchasingstars.com/transport-launching-video/
FP were very helpful in providing the lift point details. The important thing is to spread the load evenly over as large an area as possible - no hard points. Use thick resilient rubber or carpet at the bridgedeck to beam interface to even out the load further and prevent scratching the gelcoat. The boam needs to be very rigid and supported at several points to even the pressure out. You will need to lift the boat higher than you think because of tyre compression, trailer and hull flexure. The boat need to be secured to stop rocking in both drections, truck ratchet straps work well.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:49   #5

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

We've been hauled out by trailer twice now on our Lagoon 440 and watched many other types of boats being hauled.

The general rule of thumb seems to be that wherever the slings are supposed to go (Which is often in the owners manual) that is where the pads should be under the bridge deck.
If they can only get two pairs of pads to fit under the boat, then they are trying to center under the two primary bulkheads. If there is room for more and they can do it, they will then also add pads under stringers or other bulkhead structures as available.

It wouldn't hurt to see if you can get a response from FP though specific for your boat. But any decent yard is going to tap out the locations and verify positions before lifting. If you already have an idea you can watch and verify or share your information with them so they can compare that with their own determinations.

A good yard won't haul the boat until everyone is comfortable with it.

I may have missed your point though. Are you looking to build your own lift mechanism?
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:29   #6

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriobay View Post
Hi, Has anyone hauled out a lipari on a trailer supported under the , what support is needed and where did you position the supports?
Albatros Marina in Turkey haul out all of their catamaran charter fleet (which includes Lipari’s) on a trailer with adjustable pads - they reckon it’s a lot better for the hulls. Can PM you the owners details if you want - he is very helpful.
TwT
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 14:27   #7

Thanks for the input, I have seen the video of chasing stars, clear where the aft support is but i could not see where the forward support is, I will contact FP and ask the question. Cheers
Old 05-10-2021, 02:33   #8

The forward support almost certainly would be in way of the mast, there will be significant transverse bulkheads to take the mast and rig stresses there. It is not always so clear where the aft support should be, at the aft end of the bridge deck or the fwd bulkhead of the aft cabins. That's why it's worth asking FP
Old 05-10-2021, 15:30   #9

Thanks Everyone, I reached out to Multihull solution in Gold coast, they sent me the attached, friendHandling-Plan-Lipari-41.pdf of mine converted into cad file, so now i just need to profile some timber supports.
Old 05-10-2021, 16:09   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s not terribly complicated. Identify where the main structural beams (fore and aft) are. Forward, the mast is stepped on that beam. So that’s your set of points forward.

Aft, it looks by eye like the box beam is laid over on its side and makes up the 3rd step of your transom steps as it terminates on either side of the boat. That would be the aft lift point.

To be extra careful, it’s best to lift right on or as close to a bulkhead as possible. So I’d bring the aft lift point forward to get close to the forward most bulkhead making up the aft structural beam instead of lifting from the center of the beam. It’s always best to pick a bulkhead.

Forward, you could use the bulkhead the mast is stepped on.

NOTE: the diagram you were sent is for slings. Not lifting from the bridgedeck.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 16:50   #11

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

NOTE: the diagram you were sent is for slings. Not lifting from the bridgedeck.
It appears the original drawing was direct from Fountaine regarding sling placement, but in a pink color the locations they used for the trailer cradles are added to that drawing. "Bers de remorque / Trailer cradles"

I presume by the rest of the message that addition to the drawing was done by Multihull solution in Gold Coast.
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 18:11   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenta View Post
It appears the original drawing was direct from Fountaine regarding sling placement, but in a pink color the locations they used for the trailer cradles are added to that drawing. "Bers de remorque / Trailer cradles"

I presume by the rest of the message that addition to the drawing was done by Multihull solution in Gold Coast.
Oh!!! I see those little pink additions now.

The exact locations I described in my post. Looks good!

And truly this is the same for all Catamarans. Find the mast beam and associated bulkhead, that’s the forward position. Find the aft structural beam and pick up a vertical component of it. That’s the aft position.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, lipari, trailer