Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2008, 04:12   #1

FP Athena/Others - Folding Bimini/Spray Hood

Hi to all Athena 38 owners and other catamaran owners that this may relate to
The interest I have is, is that in sales blurb and pictures that I have seen of some Athena's, is that they appear to have a foldaway bimini on a tubular frame/arch.
The reason I ask is that most of my sailing will be in UK waters and a permanent bimini is, I think unecessary, but to have a collapsible spray hood/bimini would be a sensible solution, therefore:
a) What area of the boat does it cover
b) Is it that functional
c) How is the material of it attached to the boat (if it does)
d) Are optional side screens available
e) If it also acts as a spray hood does it have sensible clear windows
f) Does anybody have any pictures of it in operation ie closed open etc
I very much look forward to any information possible, from anybody if they have designed such a thing for their own boat whether it is an Athena or any other catamaran.
Thanks
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 07:09   #2

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Hi to all Athena 38 owners and other catamaran owners that this may relate to
The interest I have is, is that in sales blurb and pictures that I have seen of some Athena's, is that they appear to have a foldaway bimini on a tubular frame/arch.
The reason I ask is that most of my sailing will be in UK waters and a permanent bimini is, I think unecessary, but to have a collapsible spray hood/bimini would be a sensible solution, therefore:
a) What area of the boat does it cover
b) Is it that functional
c) How is the material of it attached to the boat (if it does)
d) Are optional side screens available
e) If it also acts as a spray hood does it have sensible clear windows
f) Does anybody have any pictures of it in operation ie closed open etc
I very much look forward to any information possible, from anybody if they have designed such a thing for their own boat whether it is an Athena or any other catamaran.
Thanks
Ian
Hi Ian,

Enclosed are some photos of my Tobago, being based in Denmark, we have the same weather patterns as you guys in the UK.

I moved the winches on the coackroof further outboard, and rearranged the rope runs to suit. Installed a 10 mm thick Lexan/polycarb windscreen. This is screwed to another piece of lexan that is screwed to the coackroof . (10 mm high, 25 mm wide and cut to an appropriate angle).
The windscreen is in 2 pieces joined at a "flange" in the middle, that goes back to the "rollbar" you can see about 30 cms aft of the coachroof.
At the stern, there is a fixed inverted "u" pipe across the cockpit, supported by a brace on each side, and a support piece that flips forward to support the bimini.

The rollbar is great for hanging on to in rough weather, and for support when going uo to either deck.

The whole roof is in one piece and clips on to the top of the windscreen, the sides zip on, and close off at the bottom. The aft is made of 2 pieces, that zip together, and is attached to the backrest, forward of the traveller.

Both sides and the 2 aft pieces have windows.

I can sail with the bimini up, and have sailed with the 3 sides closed off.

I can take more detailed pictures in a couple ofweeks or so if you want.
Only negative, is that the water that collects fwd of the traveller, is drained into the cockpit,so I have had a lightweight teak grating made that is raised off the cockpit floor.

The windscreen is great for protection on all but the balmiest summer days. I made the mistake of using standard lexan, so need to replace it this year. Will look for something that is more UV resistant, like Marguard Lexan from GE Plastics.

Regards

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0950.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	3059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0953.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	3060  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0959.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	3061  
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 10:21   #3

Hi Alan
Many thanks for your thorough and very informative reply, your design looks very ingenious and functional, if you have the time to post some more pictures I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 10:43   #4

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I hope to be in the water in 2-3 weeks, and will do it then.

The next project is a rotating wingmast with a flat top main, should be ready by late april, then I need to design and make an elegant Targa, or a short mast to mount the Radar on. With a Targa I can remove the lousy davits, (which I have had to reinforce anyway).

I have also made a bowsprit, and mounted a self tacking jib, if you are thinking about one of these boats.

I have a complete Tobago rig with all wires, sails, mast and boom for sale. The mast tube is only 3-4 years old, as I buckled the earlier one. This one is reinforced at the top, to handle the Code 0.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bimini Islands