Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 19:35   #1

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Fountaine Pajot Sliding Door Removal

Hi all,

The port roller on the sliding door for my Lavezzi appears to have failed and the door needs to be lifted to open and close the door.
So I need to remove the door to investigate.
The port side is now low enough to remove the door so if I can lower the starboard side it should come out.
So there is an allen head bolt at the bottom of the stb side which I have tried loosening but there is no movement.
So has anyone removed their sliding door on a Fountaine before?
Is this bolt the way to lower the door or have the tricky people at FP devised some other way to remove the door?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:39   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: Fountaine Pajot sliding door removal

You need to remove the plastic stops at the top on either side if there are any. Then line up the latch pin with one of the holes in the top. Lift the door up while lining up the latch pin so it enters one of the holes at the top. Then pull the bottom out first. The roller will be destroyed and you will either have to fabricate one or order one from Fountain. It is an aluminum bracket with nylon rollers. The stainless bolts for adjustment will be seized. The mild steel roller bearings in the roller will be rusted out and the roller will be flat on one side.
Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 20:41   #3

Thanks CJ that makes sense and sounds like the voice of experience.
I expected to have to replace the roller so I'll make one up as the original FJ stuff is not always the best quality.
Old 01-10-2013, 20:59   #4

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Jay has plenty of experience fixing Fountaine sliders...
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34   #5

Well he certainly knows what he's talking about, I did as he said and not only did the door come straight out but the rollers were flat too.
Rubish quality rollers what a suprise, think I"ll do some redesigning.
Old 02-11-2013, 15:34   #6

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36

Hmm...I've got a 2008 FP Mahe where the slider next to the galley sink needs be slammed shut as the weather stripping has poked out. It also doesn't roll as smoothly as the opposite slider. My thanks to Jay and I'll try his method of slider removal asap. I'm no machinist, so will likely have to order replacement parts from FP. Anyone have best contact method info for FP parts?
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:38   #7
DtM

Try your local agent for FP.. Going direct can be slow and frustrating. Cotemar has a contact name direct at FP I think.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:08   #8

Boat: Custom

Dragon lady, try Bunnings, I have had to replace the roller on every door in my house (not a boat but!) They had a massive range of all different size and shape rollers. Might just have what you need?

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:00   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Your going to find that the Mahe, Lipari, and Lavezzi use the same roller assembly. It is an aluminum housing with a stainless steel insert stainless axles and mild steel roller bearings in a plastic wheel. Way to many different kinds of metal for salt water. The corrosion builds up between the aluminum part and the stainless part which keeps them from self leveling. Then the mild steel bearing rust and the wheels stop turning. Then they sand flat. If you have one of these boats take the doors down before they stop working completely and clean them out and tef gel all of the surfaces. I did one on one of our Lipari's this week before it's first charter.
Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 11:12   #10

Problem: Door wouldn't lock unless one side was lifted up. Doors not closing smoothly.

How to fix:
1. Read Jay's post on how to remove the door.
2. Loosen the tiny hex bolt on the bottom of the roller. This allows the roller to slide up and down the track.
3. Separate the bottom of the door frame from the window. Mine pulled right off. While I was trying to drill out the adjustment screw - that's a whole other post.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-27 14.00.58.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	80198
4. Slide the roller out.
5. Use a flat head screwdriver to remove the pins on the brace holding the wheels.
6. Use a punchout to remove the pin holding the nylon wheel.
7. Use a punchout to remove the steel bearings in the nylon wheel.
8. Soak the bearings in a cleaning solution.
9. Soak the bearings in lubricant
10. Use plyers to force the bearings back into the nylon wheel.
- or if you have found nylon wheels use the new ones - if you find some let me know the measurements are: hole size 1/4 in, diameter 7/8 in, width 1/4 in
This was the closest I could find... so far their customer service hasn't returned my call - their pictures lack a view of the shape of the inside of the wheel.
11. Put it all back together

How the riser works:

Name:	1398610147105id85061.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	80197

Roller:

Name:	2014-04-27 14.20.07.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	80199

Roller disassembled:

Name:	2014-04-27 14.36.19.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	80200

Cleaning the bearings:

Name:	2014-04-28 11.08.19.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	80201
qtmspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 11:24   #11

If I didn't have a problem locking the door I wouldn't have known ALL the wheels were frozen up - the nylon slides easily on the track without spinning - think candle wax, but eventually they would have worn down. I recommend like Jay said to be pre-emptive and clean and gel-tef all the parts before you have to drill out bolts or deal w/ FP's customer dis-service.
qtmspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 02:59   #12

Boat: TBA

Hi

We have had to repair doors on high rise unit blocks on the beach for years, instead of using those crappy rollers (they barely last 2 years on a building) we found a supplier of a teflon block that can be cut to fit inside the door with a groove routed in the bottom (make the groove the same size as the roller groove), we made this block deep enough that it sat at the correct height but when it wears it can be shimmed by removing and inserting a few screws with large heads, this allows adjustment up and down, cut the block so it fit firmly with out too much movement but loose enough that you can remove it if required by placing a screw into it as a handle to pull it out, use a block the FULL width of the door even if you have to "groove" it a bit to fit around the alum extrusions.

the block does not need to be fixed as it can't escape inside the base of the door.

This system has served us well for many years especially after we had otherwise good doors but no replacements that would fit (Companies go broke or change designs)

If the rounded extrusion (rail) that the door roller sits on is damaged a Stainless steel cap that is fitted by simply tapping on exists try a commercial high-rise window manufacturer or GJ James glass and windows they sell it, we only ever use this if the "slide rail on the sill" was damaged.

Once the block is fitted a little dry lube every 6 months on the slide rail will make it glide very very easily (watch your fingers)

Sorry G james is an Australian company but these items will be world wide.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 07:48   #13

Re: Fountaine Pajot Sliding Door Removal

Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer of the FP sliding glass doors?
I want to order hardware.
Thanks,
Jerry
jerry harwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 11:44   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry harwood View Post
Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer of the FP sliding glass doors?
I want to order hardware.
Thanks,
Jerry
I found the manufacturer of the rollers:Alu-block Sistemas, SL - Rueda Simple Regulable

However they don't answer any emails and my spoken spanish is limited to ordering beer...
Maybe one of the spanish fellows on the forum might want to give it a try.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:02   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

After being ignored by Alublock for weeks I found a suitable double roller assembly on ebay. It fits exactly in the frame on my Mahe and seems to be much more robust than the original one. Not exactly cheap at 25 euro per assembly.
in case anyone is looking for the same
Schiebetür Laufwagen H678 links rechts verwendbar Neu | eBay

I guess this link won't last long so hurry
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot, removal