Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2019, 19:16   #1

Boat: FP Bahia 46’
Buyers beware

I have no doubts that quite a majority of us have over the years purchased our preowned vessel via a “ broker” , our last purchased was boat No 5 since 2002 , yes I know I keep looking for punishment 😖🤑.
We did buy a 2006 sailing catamaran built by a reputable company , it being Fountaine Pajot ( this is our second FP) , of course being a 2006 model one is to expect a few issues due to wear and tear , ours did not escape that and although the surveyor gave her a clean bill of health , there had been two major water ingress into the main salon , and the damages were still obvious .
Upon enquiring these issues with the broker ( who advertises himself as a Naval architect ) we were assured that all had been repaired “ professionally “ under his supervision 👌👍😩😩😩🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑
The rest is history, we did purchase the boat and unfortunately, yes you guessed it , the water leaks were still very present .
I have since undertaken the proper repairs to these two major leaks , it is rather unfortunate that I was totally mislead on this subject , but then again , brokers have only one concern , sell , sell , sell .
It is a shame but it is what it is , one cannot really trust the agent in charge of selling second hand goods , as although they are called “ preowned “ boats , it is a second , or some time third hand product .
A hard lesson learned.
Merry Xmas to you all .
Adonf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 23:46   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Buyers beware

Certainly not specific to this make.

Brokers are expected to act this way, most of course do.

I'd have a bigger bone to pick with the surveyor, since they are working directly for you.

Didn't you direct them to pay particular attention to that issue since it was so obvious?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 09:49   #3

The surveyor did point out on his report that there had been water ingress , but just like me , he believed what we were told by the “ naval architect” that the two issues had been repaired by a professional Shipwright and that all was now well .
Anyway , as I said , it has now been repaired properly and all is well on that front
Cheers
Old 22-12-2019, 10:12   #4

The surveyor did his job when he pointed out the potential issue.

Would be difficult for him to know if it's been fixed or not.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 11:53   #5

Yes very true , I had absolutely no issues with the surveyor who did a very thorough inspection and provided me with a very detailed report .
Looking back I did make the mistake of trusting who I thought at the time was a professional 😩😩😫😫😫
Old 22-12-2019, 12:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Certainly not specific to this make.

Brokers are expected to act this way, most of course do.

I'd have a bigger bone to pick with the surveyor, since they are working directly for you.

Didn't you direct them to pay particular attention to that issue since it was so obvious?
The make had nothing to do with this issue , the “ official “ distributor for this brand did not have this model in their inventory, I guess that although we are purchasing the vessel we never are the Broker’s client ( the owner claim that right) so we should not expect the broker to have the purchaser’s best interest as a priority, unless starting to remove interior lining the surveyor had no way of checking that the repairs had been done correctly.