Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 09:57   #1

Black window mess

How do you stop the FP Lipari black mess that comes off when window gets wet? It streaks the boat terrible
dawnveatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Black window mess

Couldn't tell you, Dawn, but welcome to the forum.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Second thought. I suspect that you mean rotted window bedding. If that's the case, the answer is to pry off the windows, clean the beds, and replace the bedding with butyl tape. The windows will look better with black tape, I think, but I'm curious about what it would look like if someone used white butyl tape.
Old 05-12-2021, 13:38   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Keep the area under the window well waxed. Wipe it off with simple green.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 13:46   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

What kind of wax ? The manatee crew uses “Sex Wax “ brand for surfing to get a better grip but I’m not a catamaran expert and wonder what French boatbuilders prefer. Any suggestions from an owners group?
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 15:43   #6

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnveatch View Post
How do you stop the FP Lipari black mess that comes off when window gets wet? It streaks the boat terrible
FP uses Dow chemical car window glue for bedding in the windows. This glue is not UV stable but the car windows have blacked out areas and the seams are hidden where no UV gets through. On our FP we have blacked out areas too but the sun can reach the corners of the window bedding/seam and dissolve some part of the glue. This is then the black mascara on your white gelcoat that gets washed down when wet or high humidity.

To solve the problem is very easy: tape of the window and the gelcoat around the seam and apply a thin layer of Sikaflex 295UV over the seam.
That seals the Dow Chemical glue on the corners and no UV can get to it anymore and you additionally seal the window. Done and no black mascara anymore
To get the black stuff off best is to polish it off.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 16:05   #7

Boat: Mahe 36

Check the discussion on the FP Mahe 36 thread, Post # 25

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...n-38755-2.html
It worked for me for quite a while.

Vanisle
VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 16:32   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

All of the Sika 295uv that I used to bed my catamaran windows chalked and bled black streaks very badly. The solution was to dig the surface layer out and apply a silicone bead. Dow 795 is the preferred product. Unlike Sika 295uv (despite the name) Dow 795 is very UV stable (also more flexible, bonds better, lasts longer, costs less, and available in many colors). Masking and applying the bead is an art in itself, you might want to practice on something first. Unless your windows are mechanically fastened, butyl tape will not work. It seals well but remains soft so does not bond. If your windows need to be removed and rebedded Dow 795 is still the preferred product. It is a good idea to leak check before applying the final bead (the pros call it the beauty bead).
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 17:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
All of the Sika 295uv that I used to bed my catamaran windows chalked and bled black streaks very badly. The solution was to dig the surface layer out and apply a silicone bead. Dow 795 is the preferred product. Unlike Sika 295uv (despite the name) Dow 795 is very UV stable (also more flexible, bonds better, lasts longer, costs less, and available in many colors). Masking and applying the bead is an art in itself, you might want to practice on something first. Unless your windows are mechanically fastened, butyl tape will not work. It seals well but remains soft so does not bond. If your windows need to be removed and rebedded Dow 795 is still the preferred product. It is a good idea to leak check before applying the final bead (the pros call it the beauty bead).

you may have used the Sika 295i UV
sika 295UV is correct one, skia 295i UV the wrong one

I have no black strains anymore after sealing it off with 295UV on my Lavezzi. Neither do my 3 buddy boats where we all bedded their windows in with the 295UV.
Dow 795 is used in US/caribean area and Sika 295UV is the equivalent here in Europe
Old 16-12-2021, 07:36   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
you may have used the Sika 295i UV
sika 295UV is correct one, skia 295i UV the wrong one

I have no black strains anymore after sealing it off with 295UV on my Lavezzi. Neither do my 3 buddy boats where we all bedded their windows in with the 295UV.
Dow 795 is used in US/caribean area and Sika 295UV is the equivalent here in Europe
Could be that the sun/humidity is more intense where I am at. Dow 795 and Sika 295 are like comparing apples and oranges. 795 is silicone while 295UV is a polyurethane.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 12:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Could be that the sun/humidity is more intense where I am at. Dow 795 and Sika 295 are like comparing apples and oranges. 795 is silicone while 295UV is a polyurethane.
Try to get Dow 795 in Europe…you won‘t and if yes imported from US via Ebay /Amazon.com with 25Euro shipping costs+20Euro taxes for 3 pieces and wait for 3 weeks minimum.
Ask on the boatyards and everyone tells you for bedding in windows they use sika 295UV marine sealant. Especially developed for marine to bed in/glue in Plexiglas windows.No problem with back mascara at all.
The Dow 795 is called here in Europe a silicone sealant for buildings and not boats….maybe they have country specific different product numbers

Tags
wind