Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 15:48   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Bahia, 46ft cat
Bahia - problems to look out for?

Hi everybody!

We're looking to buy a suitable blue water cruising catamaran within our budget (200-250k). Bahia's look interesting for us. Good size (we're going to be anchoring so big isn't really a problem marina-wise)

Things we don't like about the Bahia:
  • Saildrive, originally SD40, sometimes 'upgraded' to SD50. Both silly designed and really a disadvantage but I read on this forum that there is a good solution thanks to Panache5000.
  • Galley without much working space if you don't like to work on the lid of the fridge.
Things we do appreciate:
  • Loads of storage space, especially after rebuilding the hull; we're going to add cabinets instead of the two single beds in the middle of the hull and the ones in the forepeak are going to be for fun stuff and sails instead of a space for a bed, we don't need al these sleeping places.
  • Not so critical with weight, that's very much appreciated.
  • Seems to behave/sail nicely. Never heard complaints about being noisy from upslam.
  • Never heard complaints about leakages.
  • (because of saildrives) nice place for the engines and not under the bed like as in a Leopard 47.
  • Enough space above your head in the sleeping places, I really wouldn't want to have a low ceiling.
  • We like the playful design of the whole boat and interior, being rounded and not so square.

We're open to other good suggestions about good boats. Preferably +- 200 - 250k But mainly now these questions about the Bahia:
  1. Can you all confirm that they aren't prone to leakages (for instance friends have a cat with frontal windows that just won't stay in place, the hull flexes way too much)
  2. Can you confirm they don't make much noise because of upslam, and how's the rest of the noise (in less than ideal conditions of course)
  3. How are the decks connected to the hulls? Is that done decently, with glass fibre or is it only bolted through? I reckon if the latter, there must be problems?
  4. Are there things we should look out for? Bulkheads breaking/getting mushy or whatsoever other problems?
  5. Some specific points that break and need attention?
  6. Are there years where the Bahia is not recommended, or are they better in certain years?
  7. Did the hull-thickness decrease after a certain year?
  8. What type of material is used for the bulkheads?
  9. I saw a piece of material cut from the skin of a Bahia from 1998, that had below the waterline quite thick glass fibre without a core. Above the waterline it had foam core. Does someone know the exact materials used (what kind of foam, what kind of material with the glass; polyester or vinyl-ester)?
  10. Anything else interesting to tell about them?
  11. SURVEYOR - does anyone have a very much recommended knowledgeable person in the Eastern Caribbean that can do a worthwhile pre-buyers survey?

Thanks so much! My first message here, but did read a lot on the forum, thanks all for contributing!
Ilona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 02:37   #2

Re: Bahia - problems to look out for?

Nobody, really.....?
Old 23-12-2016, 02:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

You posted pretty much the same message in multihulls section and there are couple of answers there, including mine.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 02:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

You have the same posting in multihulls forum and there are couple of answers there , including mine.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 03:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
You have the same posting in multihulls forum and there are couple of answers there , including mine.

Cheers

Yeloya
I know, and thanks again Yeloya (I hit the 'thanks' button, I don't know how that works but I assume you get a message?)

I put this question in the multihull forum after I noticed that nobody was answering, I figured it might work better there ;-) Your reply was very useful :-)

Tags
bahia