Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 10:59   #1

Boat: Athena 38
Athena 38 - Rocna 20 or 25

Hi All

I need to buy a new anchor and have tentatively decided on a Rocna 20 or 25. Does anyone have any experience of these anchors on a Fountaine Pajot Athena 38. Do they fit? Unfortunately the boat is in Italy and I am in the UK so taking it back if it doesn't is not an option. There is the Rocna Vulcan without the roll bar but it's twice the price !

I have posted this on the Anchoring and Mooring forum as well
Boatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 01:10   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Athena 38 - Rocna 20 or 25

Great boat. I have no experience with a Rocna, we have a 16Kg Kobra 2 which works really well in Croatia. A 20Kg Rocna would be conservative and 25Kg even more so.

Given the geometry of the Athena anchor roller and bridge deck curvature, I see no reason why a Rocna with roll bar will not fit. The only dimension that may cause an issue is the slot height from the anchor roller to the top of the roller aperture which I measured to be ~100mm, so if the Rocna shank is no more than 100mm deep at the stowed position you should be ok.
I cannot see the roll bar being an issue, all the roll bars I have seen on an Athena have stood off from the curved front of the bridge deck a good way. The only other issue is whether the anchor tip might touch the bridge deck, ours doesn't and we have a stainless wear plate on the outside anyway, which I think was fitted for the standard Brittany anchor with 2 Danforth type flukes. Worst case, you might have to fit a plate or be very careful.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna