Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2019, 17:51   #466

Boat: between boats
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post
Hi Barra:

Sorry I missed your question on sailing to wind. On tacking angle - I'm truly still playing with this although impressed so far by how close we can get for a Cat. Up to a few years ago, I only ever sailed Mono's (and still have a Hunter for play), so may be trying to convince myself that we get closer than we think. Asking COG of course traps us into reality (leeway impact) which is a huge factor without dagger boards and definitely see the annoying slippage. On AWA, we make decent progress up to 40 degrees or slightly below. I'm in a fun race next week so will have to pay more attention to COG to wind if wind direction is against us.

Sea motion in decent wind waves - we've only had a few experiences on Atlantic cuts from the Sea of Abaco (the rest of which is amazingly calm despite Atlantic winds). Per my post on sailing performance, having some sail up despite heading closer to wind, dramatically improves the ride from a motion perspective. No super long passages yet to fully assess but we have ridden downwind in 30kts+ for several hours and was very comfy.

Bridgedeck slamming: apart from heading to wind with motor only, where she does start to hobby-horse, we haven't had any negatives to report. Again, impressed so far. After the summer, we'll do a long passage down the US east coast to deliver back to Abaco, after which I'll def be able to a better overall assessment. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply Brian. Its been hard to get owners to comment on this for some reason.

Yes as you say the COG reveals reality which is why im asking. I watched a lagoon tack up a 1 nm wide channel in around 25 knots TWS not long ago. It was probably seeing AWA of around mid 40s im guessing but it just went back and forwards over the same ground for 6 tacks before furling the genoa and switching on the engines. He only had to get a 1/2 mile upwind before a broad reach but just couldnt do it. Must have been so frustrating.

Im hoping the astrea will do better but after sailing on a friends lipari im not so sure. It was fine in 10 to 15 knots TWS tacking through 110 COG but once the wind picked up the leeway and wave action meant we were more like 120 to 130 COG.

Ill eventually charter one before i make any final decisions and i know this is going to be a trade off for better acommodations but it would be good to manage expectations before then.

look forward to any updates.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 20:07   #467
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Hi Barra

I do think the Astrea is def better than the Lipari experience you describe. That said, we have a pivotal waypoint in Abaco known as Point Set Rock which seems to be central to all routes. The channel through it is short of 1nm. Last month, we hit it with wind right out of that channel and did take quite a few tacks to get through. That said, I'm used to getting into our harbor on Lake Sunapee NH with my Hunter 216 (over powered, but points like magic).That harbor always seems to have wind in/out of the harbor - the sailing equivalent of 'uphill both ways', due to shape of the NH Upper Valley. The wind flows from central Canada which is nice in summer and makes for Antartic conditions in winter. -26C anyone?

Given my NH experience, I really didn't feel like our Point Set tacking was that much worse than I would expect on an average mono hull. But, being off the clock, speed may not seem that important. Haha!

There is a always the option of turning on an engine for 10mins I guess - a small price to pay for the right boat@!?
Old 23-05-2019, 18:37   #468

Quote:
Hi Barra

There is a always the option of turning on an engine for 10mins I guess - a small price to pay for the right boat@!?
haha yes true.good point most of the time.

I have had 6 engine failures due to bad fuel across 4 different boats over the years. One was a lee shore and got pretty hairy. Motoring into some seas is usually when the fuel filters get a work out so its also the most likely time you are going to have to rely on sails only at some point.
Old 24-05-2019, 04:43   #469

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Quote:
Solar Panel Support - Geek info alert!

Thought I'd add a few pictures on the factory Solar set up from a structural perspective to help folks thinking about modifying their solar installation.
Hi Brian,
Unfortunately, I won't be able to install my solar-panels before October. But I can share already my idea of how I will do it.
Because bigger panels need to be mounted at least 6cm (2") higher, I will start with 2 profiles of 60mm (direction from starboard to port) and indeed attached to the mentioned structure FP already integrated. On these U-profiles I will mount four T-profiles on which my 3 big panels will be fixed.
I am thinking of changing also the stainless plate, on which the rear navigation light is fixed, with something stronger where I can put one foot on if needed. Because otherwise it could be too difficult to reach the end of the boom without touching the solar panels.
I can't wait to start doing it, but my #55 is promised for September, so I still have to be patient though. And of course, if someone will install bigger panels sooner, I hope they will share their experiences here too.
And thanks for the pictures. It helps our preparations. Luc
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 04:54   #470

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
haha yes true.good point most of the time.

I have had 6 engine failures due to bad fuel across 4 different boats over the years. One was a lee shore and got pretty hairy. Motoring into some seas is usually when the fuel filters get a work out so its also the most likely time you are going to have to rely on sails only at some point.
This is exactly the reason why I will install a dual filter with a switch valve on each engine. It gives you time to restart in less than a minute, and remove the clocked filter at a more appropriate moment.
I choose for the Racor dual filter/separator. Quite expensive to buy, but with the low price of the replacement filters, in the long term, it is a good investment in my opinion. Certainly if you can order them in the USA, because a lot cheaper than in the EU.
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 21:49   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc bulterys View Post
This is exactly the reason why I will install a dual filter with a switch valve on each engine. It gives you time to restart in less than a minute, and remove the clocked filter at a more appropriate moment.
I choose for the Racor dual filter/separator. Quite expensive to buy, but with the low price of the replacement filters, in the long term, it is a good investment in my opinion. Certainly if you can order them in the USA, because a lot cheaper than in the EU.
Interesting solution. It would certainly help in an emergency to be able to switch primary filters over but often its the secondary filter thats also then clogged which causes the engine to fail. At least you would only have 1 filter to clear not 2 though.

Still being able to rely on your primary engine (your sails) is the best solution I think.
Old 27-05-2019, 20:33   #472
BKC

I'm on board Asgard this week, so let me know if anyone needs some specific pictures or measurements.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 21:14   #473

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

Hi Brian. I can't remember how you had your solar panels and frame fitted. If you could send some pictures that would be great. I'm still gathering info and options. Any reports on your water maker would be good too. Enjoy your week aboard! Ken
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 08:55   #474

After a bit more research and conversations with my dealer regarding the bowsprit, it turns out that installing it post factory is not the huge deal that we have made it out to be. It seems it’s a matter of just bolting it on.
David2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 09:00   #475

I also found out the swim platform for the Astrea is 100% electric, not hydraulic.
Old 31-05-2019, 18:41   #476
BKC

Hi David

That's great on the bowsprit. Only thought is, good luck getting it shipped from FP in France. I truly hope I'm wrong.
Good to hear on swim platform. I think that the issue is still the same if you are chartering it i.e. the spec, in terms of weight capacity, is very light. We were in Hope Town Harbour in the Abacos 2 nights ago and saw an FP motor yacht with that same swim platform. The charterers were lowering the dinghy into the water with an elderly parent (on the heavy side) already on board. Ouch! Unless you are in a big city with good parts availability (in France?), any part that is not a common unit which could disable your boat's usability would be a concern I think. Worth checking spec on the electric motor - it might be a commonly available part which would be great. We had an issue with the clutch for our Genoa furler recently & had to air ship a replacement next day to Boston to bring it down with us. We then got the wrong part & had to get a second one shipped just in time.

BTW, I found a file on board with drawings for lots of specs of the Astrea which I'll post soon.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:59   #477

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Astréa 42

Question about factory setting for helm chain linkage play:

Our 'Aquarelle' hull #14 seems to me to have excessive play in the helm chain linkage. The play is clearly set at the factory, as the threads on the turnbuckles used to set the amount of play carry yellow paint markings to mark the tightening points on both ends of the short chain. I didn't actually measure the play, but I'm guessing it corresponds to approximately 15-20 degrees of helm rotation (from one point to the other without rudder actuation). The play also corresponds approximately to one link of the chain.
It would be easy to reduce the play by tightening the 2 turnbuckles or possibly even by attaching one end of the cable to the next chain link (1 chain link tighter), but I imagine there are reasons why it is set the way it is.
Steering under autopilot works very well, with minimal oversteering or correcting, but when hand steering, I personally find the play to be excessive and quite annoying, resulting in less than precise course angle control.

Has anyone here made similar observations?
How much play does your steering linkage have?
What is the optimum setting for the Astrea 42?

I appreciate any input/advice/education on the subject.
Thank you.

Christophe
chlemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:08   #478

I just came across this review of the Astrea 42.

https://youtu.be/aW2NuKJ-MEg

The reviewers seem to like the boat enough though they’re not really thrilled with it.
David2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 13:44   #479

I am thinking about an astrea. The reviewer said the boat used cheap parts and was poor quality. What do owners say about fp quality?
SailCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 15:02   #480

Yeah, I am curious about that too. Astrea is on my very short list.
gstvsn is offline   Reply With Quote