Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 19:08   #406

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

I've been speaking with an Aussie couple who are in the process of picking up their Helia this month. They shared that they were quoted euro 7590 from Uchimata for three Sunpower 380w panels installed with the frame and regulators. Knowing the cost of the panels to be about 325 euros each, that leaves a big chunk of cash for the frame! Has anyone else got costings on the frames, or for that matter, done the research on using flexible solar panels on the saloon roof and the configuration of where you would put them?
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 06:01   #407

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and the Fox View Post
I've been speaking with an Aussie couple who are in the process of picking up their Helia this month. They shared that they were quoted euro 7590 from Uchimata for three Sunpower 380w panels installed with the frame and regulators. Knowing the cost of the panels to be about 325 euros each, that leaves a big chunk of cash for the frame! Has anyone else got costings on the frames, or for that matter, done the research on using flexible solar panels on the saloon roof and the configuration of where you would put them?
Can't really help you with a price, but here is what I found out and decided:

Prices for solar panels in France are always much higher than in the Netherlands, Germany or UK, and certainly the US. And we are talking about big differences (some companies asked almost double of the price I could find on the internet !). Don't know why, but I checked several companies and brands! So I decided to order them myself, and saved a lot of money.

I won't make a complete frame, but rather a 'support' to fix the panels on. More like how panels are mounted on the roof of buildings. This can also save weight compared to a complete frame (that has to be lifted as well about 6cm from the roof where FP installs their panels). It will cost me close to 1000€ for all the hardware of this 'support', and I imagine at least 2-3 days of work ... But for an economy of 5-6000€, that is well spent IMHO.
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 10:05   #408

Boat: FP Astrea 42
Send a message via Skype™ to jefffay

Thanks Brian, good find! I'll check them out.

Jeff
jefffay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 14:28   #409

Thanks Luc. I'll speak to my agent over here and try to find out what other people are doing using Uchimata to fit their solar panels on. Yes, without doubt, I don't want to fork out a huge amount of money for an elaborate frame but I do want ideally 1Kw of panels out behind the traveller. The support structure sounds like the way to go. I've seen some Helias and Lucias with flexible panels on the saloon roof but IMHO it's a bit ugly. Ah well, I have a year before pick up so no doubt someone will come up with a suitable solution prior to that. Cheers!
Old 22-03-2019, 20:43   #410
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Can't wait to see some creative applications of the solar options being discussed. I've been pricing options on a large solar array on our home in NH over the past year. That, despite going with the factory set up on our Astrea for reasons I've explained. Enough to get us to net zero which includes our geothermal heating/cooling which is all electric powered in an extreme climate - we get -20C to +36C most years.
I'd def go with a support rail v's a full frame and wouldn't be afraid of a little overhang. I completely agree with pricing comments from France. However, do make allowance to calculate costs of installation and controllers etc. You'll still have massive savings I'm sure +++.
I'm happy to show any additional measurements or how optional solar arrays might fit when next on board in a couple of weeks. Just let me know what you need.
Old 24-03-2019, 14:51   #411

Hello all, I'm a new member to the forums. My wife and I are researching new boats, intending to do some extended cruising in retirement. We will be staging from our house on the ICW in Florida, which means we have both air draft (in between 2 fixed 65 ft bridges) and water draft limitations. According to ACY, the Astrea 42 can be optioned with an ICW mast. My question is; has anyone familiar with this option? If so, what's the final clearance and how much does it affect sailing performance?

CM
CSMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 06:35   #412

Boat: FP Astrea 42 coming soon!

Hi CSmast. Welcome to the forum.

I have not heard anything "official" from FP or ACY but FP makes an ICW friendly mast for the Lucia 40 and Helia 44 so I would hope that if not now, sometime in the future they offer the same for the Astrea 42. I pasted a link below to some info. on the Helia conversion. Good luck!

https://www.atlantic-cruising.com/he...stal-friendly/
GRcatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 21:18   #413

Here are some random photo's from the Astrea at the Multihull Boat Show in Brisbane last week. This is the only one in Australia and apparently, it had nine enquiries and was sold on the day. I'm going back down to see it again on the 23rd of May so if anyone has any questions, needs any pics, or wants anything measured, please let me know as I'd be happy to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7521.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	188745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7524.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	188746  

Name:	IMG_7528.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	188747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7534.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	188748  

Name:	IMG_7544.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	188749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7547.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	188750  

Name:	IMG_7552.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	188752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7554.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	188753  

Name:	IMG_7555.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	188754  
Old 26-03-2019, 21:24   #414

And the rest ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7558.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	188758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7559.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	188759  

Name:	IMG_7561.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	188760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7568.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	188761  

Name:	IMG_7570.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	188762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7571.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	188763  

Name:	IMG_7573.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	188764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7576.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	188765  

Name:	IMG_7533.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	188766   Click image for larger version

Name:	JOMO.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	188767  

Old 27-03-2019, 20:38   #415
BKC

****Update on an Astrea Owners Manual*****

I've had quite a few questions via PM's with specifics on Astrea specs and also progress on my version of an owners manual. Always happy to answer questions, so keep 'em coming, but also thought I'd post an update here:

When you get your hull number (the long HIN) from FP a few weeks before ex-factory, you can join the owners club of FP and they do give you access to their version of an owners manual. Great. Yes, but...I initially thought I was all set. Until I started to read and use it. Sadly, its not as useful as it should be.

Core problems:
1. It feels like someone has plugged the French version into Google Translate. Certainly not edited by an English speaker. Very, very difficult (if not impossible) to understand in places. For example, it has a reference to a 'dock line' which is actually referring to the shore power cable or 'put the loader on OFF mode', etc. Many warnings and instructions which were utterly beyond my comprehension until I read the French version. BTW, the loader they were referring to, was simply asking you to 'switch off the battery charger'. Right. Good luck figuring that out. There are lots of these nonsense instructions.

2. There are many optional items on the Astrea. The FP summary manual deals with each option, and the standard spec. In reality, for the manual to be useful, the reader needs to know which options are fitted on their particular boat. That's fine if you are the owner. If not, its actually not useful. For example, both the FP manual and the stickers on the throttle specifically instruct you to put the throttle into Neutral 'when navigating by sail' (thank you Google Translate). However, with folding props fitted, both the manual and the stickers on the throttle are wrong - throttles should be in reverse when sailing.
3. It looks like a Cut and Paste from other models. The arrows in the manual are often pointing to the wrong location. Or just wrong.

So, for now I have some solutions in mind:
1. I am creating a specific manual as a supplement for our particular spec'd Astrea. Many of the items are actually tips for any Astrea e.g. the chart plotter is great but SO many features, how to turn on the oven, etc! That last one took us a bit of digging into the Italian manufacturers manual. Others are very specific - folding Props throttle settings, Sea water faucet/tap on left galley sink, WiFi booster set up, etc). Once complete, this supplement guide could be edited easily enough for boats with a different spec.
2. Considering some 'geek' videos on the Astrea. Perhaps 5 to 10mins on very specific aspects of the Astrea with measurements etc. There are great reviews and quick overviews out there, but if you are thinking of buying one, comparing to other boats, you probably need a 'Cat Sat on Mat' on specific details like the Davit set up, specs, operation etc. Same with the watermaker, Genset, etc., etc.. For my own part I'm already wondering how easy it might be to replace the Genset from front the Port forward locker down the line. Others want to sit for an hour on the solar options. Might have a go at one or two areas of the Astrea, then look for others to contribute.
3. Anybody got good software to convert the PF Owners Manual PDF into Powerpoint or Word. We could then edit and correct it. Let me know and I'll send you the PDF.

Long'ish update but shout with any suggestions/questions.
Old 27-03-2019, 21:07   #416

Great post Brian. If you email me the PDF I'll convert it to Word and send it back to you. You have my email. Ken.
Old 28-03-2019, 11:11   #417

question about the electronics factory option.
I see that there is electronics option below
GARMIN 1 Smart Cruising : Autopilot, VHF, AIS, GPS 7410, 2*multi GMI20

Anybody know the specifics about this option.
Like what model of autopilot, AIS, VHF and also any sensors included like wind, depth, speed etc...
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 11:51   #418
BKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleedooroo View Post
question about the electronics factory option.
I see that there is electronics option below
GARMIN 1 Smart Cruising : Autopilot, VHF, AIS, GPS 7410, 2*multi GMI20

Anybody know the specifics about this option.
Like what model of autopilot, AIS, VHF and also any sensors included like wind, depth, speed etc...
Hi D:

Its a Garmin package with the plotter being model: GPSMap 7400 (you can search and download a User manual online. The Autopilot control is GHC 20, again you can download a manual. I'll include pictures of all the components that are Garmin so see the rest below.
The package includes wind, depth, speed instruments but I don't have specific model #'s to hand. It basically includes pretty much everything you would need. We did install radar also. The Smart Cruise main plotter links up everything from tank sensors for water, diesel and solar production, battery monitoring etc. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InkedGarmin 1_LI.jpg
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	188922   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedGarmin 2_LI.jpg
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	188923  

Name:	InkedGarmin 3_LI.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	188924   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedGarmin 4_LI.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	188925  

Old 29-03-2019, 07:02   #419

Great help thanks
One more thing, if I can. Is included AIS able to transmit and receive?
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 08:10   #420

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I have a 47 on order. I was told the AIS is a transponder so Yes it can transmit. The Garmin equipment on the option list is getting to be several years old. Mine comes out of the factory in November 2019 and was told by ACY that it is possible the actual installed Garmin equipment will be a later version. I have not heard this from anyone else.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote