Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 12:50   #46

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: AC Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahe-Mahe View Post
Does anyone out there have AC installed in their Mahe? I am hearing that additonal equipment (larger inverter) needs to be installed as well. Where does the AC unit go? Any idea on price? I have been told that I will need a 16,000 BTU unit for the entire craft.

Thanks!
As a practical matter, you can not install enough batteries on your boat to run a 16,000 BTU air conditioner from an inverter. You might get an hour or two before the batteries are discharged.

If you intend to run an air conditioner on your boat, you need shore power or a genset, properly sized for the AC.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:56   #47

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Reverse Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Keep in mind that water cooled/heated reverse cycle systems freeze up in water temps below about 4 C. They work great in the tropic or subtropics but are probably not appropriate above about 35-40 degrees lat except in the summer. I have reverse cycle heaters in North Carolina (35N) but they are quite marginal here in the depth of the winter when our water temps get down to around 5 C.
Quite true.

After going through two reverse cycle AC units (another story altogether), I found a company that makes AC units with electrical resistance heating instead of reverse cycle. Not quite as efficient, but I pay a fixed rate for electricity. It's a lot simpler and the wear on the compressor, etc. is cut in half because it only operates in the cooling mode.

I don't need to winterize my AC in my location but I could if I wanted to and still have heat.
Old 02-04-2019, 17:49   #48

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36
Re: Air Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastream View Post
We just had a 16K BTU installed under the port settee running to four vents. Install performed by Beard Marine; we're well pleased with the work. Unfortunately they're located in Ft. Lauderdale & Palm Beach, FL. Although they'd likely travel to you I don't know if that'd work for you.
Could you please tell me how they crossed over with the supply ducting from the starboard to the port side?
We're interested in installing one 27K unit under one settee and that is my dilemma.
Fiddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 18:21   #49

Does anyone know if it's possible to cross over with insulated ducts behind the settee from one side to the other? I'm referring to this area or a different suggestion.
I noticed that it was tight close to the anchor locker compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	189265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	189266  

Old 03-04-2019, 13:21   #50

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36

Somewhat easy crossover. I had the installers use the 5 inch speaker holes as discharge vents, once I removed them. They had a tussle snaking the duct behind the saloon sofa (I helped them), but it can be done. The water tanks are no worries.
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 14:12   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastream View Post
Somewhat easy crossover. I had the installers use the 5 inch speaker holes as discharge vents, once I removed them. They had a tussle snaking the duct behind the saloon sofa (I helped them), but it can be done. The water tanks are no worries.
Thanks. Makes sense. I can get to that space from the hanging lockers on both sides too. Found out that the space that I showed above is filled with foam.
Old 03-04-2019, 19:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerman View Post
Thanks. Makes sense. I can get to that space from the hanging lockers on both sides too. Found out that the space that I showed above is filled with foam.
They installed our AC in that space(after removing the foam of course and fitting a lid in the top). It's a pretty common setup in the Mahe. Just remember to always keep your water tanks below 90% to make up for the loss of boyancy from the removal of that foam
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:20   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
They installed our AC in that space(after removing the foam of course and fitting a lid in the top). It's a pretty common setup in the Mahe. Just remember to always keep your water tanks below 90% to make up for the loss of boyancy from the removal of that foam
I know this is asking a lot, but I would love to see a picture of this if you would be so kind. Where exactly to remove the foam and where to cut. That would be super helpful.
Old 04-04-2019, 18:43   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerman View Post
I know this is asking a lot, but I would love to see a picture of this if you would be so kind. Where exactly to remove the foam and where to cut. That would be super helpful.
No worries, I'll walk down tomorrow and take a couple for you.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:17   #55

Quote:
No worries, I'll walk down tomorrow and take a couple for you.
Sorry, forgot about this until today. Here are a couple pictures, let me know if you have any questions on the install. As an FYI there is a ton of room between the hull and the cabin on both sides so you can run a 4" duct easily from any point to any other point in the boat through that center compartment. There is also a decent amount of space between the back of the settee (the back of the compartment shown) and the aft bulkhead of the anchor locker, not sure if it's 4" duct size but probably close. This is all on the Evo but I don't think they changed the hull or cabin molds between models.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190406_172846921.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	189573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190406_172859124.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	189574  

Name:	IMG_20190406_172915265.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	189575  
Old 07-04-2019, 14:03   #56

Quote:
Sorry, forgot about this until today. Here are a couple pictures, let me know if you have any questions on the install. As an FYI there is a ton of room between the hull and the cabin on both sides so you can run a 4" duct easily from any point to any other point in the boat through that center compartment. There is also a decent amount of space between the back of the settee (the back of the compartment shown) and the aft bulkhead of the anchor locker, not sure if it's 4" duct size but probably close. This is all on the Evo but I don't think they changed the hull or cabin molds between models.
This is great. Thanks so much. I feel confident about what I will be doing now.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:01   #57

Hey guys,

I'd be super appreciative if any of you would share pictures on the placement of your vents. I'm more or less done with the installation of the AC but second guessing my choice of locations for the vents.

Thanks!!!
Old 23-06-2019, 05:50   #58

Installed the first unit but still hesitant about duct/vent placement in the cabins.
Any pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 23-07-2019, 13:41   #59

Finally done with the installation.
First of all, any of you considering installing new AC units on your vessel should strongly consider the new Inverter, brushless, Contained technology AC's.
Our two 16,000 units are operating at 9 Amps each when maxed, which they haven't been. Imagine the possibilities!!! When the temperature is close to what is set they cycle down instead of turning off. This makes for less disturbance when sleeping with a very nice low constant humming sound. It also keeps the cabins dry by not cycling off. The control panel allows you to set the fan on night mode, reg, high or automatic.
They are super quiet and the quality of the Velair units is impressive compared to other units that I've installed or seen.

If you decide to go with Velair, Ted Meuche was SUPER to work with.

I'm sharing images for anyone thinking of installing new AC on the Mahe.
Lot's of customization needed along the way but it was fun doing it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WB?usp=sharing
Old 03-03-2020, 15:01   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401

Hi,

I’ve just finished an install on my own catamaran to become an authorized service and install center for Velair with my marine business. As you mentioned Ted is exceptional to deal with.

My first impressions of the unit are simply amazing, having had Dometic and Webasco in the past, this unit is in a league of its own. Planning on doing some demo videos shortly of the A/C running on the inverter and Honda 2000.

What are your impressions after having the unit for a little while now ?

We service the greater Tampa area
Info@gulfnautical.com
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, mahe 36