Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 19:21   #16

Re: XINUTOP Portable OS Linux Marine Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
So.......where do you download this? The page linked to has no download I can see.
The download links are about a third of the way down on that page.

Here is the link to the bootable img file.

Here is some info on how to put the img file onto a bootable storage device like a USB stick or a SD card.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:03   #17

Boat: Trismus 37'
Re: XINUTOP Portable OS Linux marine updated

Sorry Peter,
The email notification don't worked and I discover your question now. I like and use VIA C3 on Epia M10000 without trouble on 1024x768. Kernel and modules Xinutop are the same as official Ubuntu. You can enlarge the partition and install any driver witch support apt-get.
marinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 23:02   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

what plugins if any are included?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 23:23   #19
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Marinux,

did you test the S-63 plug-in and the fingerprint mechanism?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:06   #20

Bonjour,

If I understand your 2 questions, we are speaking about plugins for OCPN. So you can install any plugin in Xinutop by the classic and official way.
About S63: I work for free and open-source, so, I have not interest for encrypted system, but why don't try it yourself ?

Frank Marinux
Old 09-02-2014, 08:03   #21
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Bon soir Franck,

usually we are testing on the platforms we have at hand but it is always better that somebody else tests on his systems with all the special and individual set-ups and configurations too. And especially if we talk with the expert who made the set-up.

With respect to S-63/encrypted ENCs: all who need actual vector charts (or want to use them) with execption for US waters and Inland waterways have to live with the scheme. So the Plug-in is about to give that option to OpenCPN users.
For example at Kourou where SHOM is in charge to make and distribute official charts.

We can now philosophize and say not implementing the PI will not change the world. Implementing neither

And of course in our small cosmos of OpenCPN everybody is absolutely free to do or not.

À bientôt

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:18   #22

Re: plugins tests

Bonjour Hubert,

OK understood. I am focused on V14 of Xinutop base system and utility scripts (see rastow), so I keep plugins tries as optional (time...time...), but keep this in mind:
Xinutop files architecture and layers are transparent for user and apps are totally compatible with any common version of Ubuntu (actual, 12.04). So any plugin wich run with this version of Ubuntu run on Xinutop.

Amicalement Frank Marinux.
Old 19-03-2014, 17:03   #23
Marine Service Provider

Hi.

Using xinutop os. After a while if no keyboard/mouse activity, the display blanks. In a marine distro with purpose chartplotter, I suggest for next update that this behhavior is disabled in the default install image :-)
/Petter
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 20:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Hi.

Using xinutop os. After a while if no keyboard/mouse activity, the display blanks. In a marine distro with purpose chartplotter, I suggest for next update that this behhavior is disabled in the default install image :-)
/Petter
Screen-blanking is a setting in the operating system. You can set it to whatever you want.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 00:03   #25
Marine Service Provider

Yes, I'm aware of that's it it is a setting in the OS. But in the XFCE desktop that is used with XINUTOP you will manually have to make Xorg.conf files etc to turn of the blanking permanently.

Since the purpose of the Xinutop distro is a OpenCpn chartplotter, I suggested that this setting will be the default setting in next release.

/Petter
Old 20-03-2014, 02:26   #26

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

by default, we don't want the screen to blank as when navigating there is frequently little user input. At least 20 minutes is too short, maybe 1 or 2 hours. This is basically true for all users, so it should be set this way when you install.

The whole point of a special linux distro is to minimize user configuration isn't it? Otherwise I would just use a standard install.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 04:38   #27
Marine Service Provider

I think it is a small misunderstanding here.

The default behavior today is that the display blanks after a few minutes.

I suggest to change this to newer in the default config since it is the desired behavior for a nav display - it should always be " ON "

/Petter
Old 23-03-2014, 06:40   #28

Bonjour,
Some people like to have navigational information already displayed, some others want cut off the screen to save energy....
So, original Xinutop config have a standard default configuration: a (nice) screen saver after 10 minutes and a blank screen after ten others minutes.
You don't like this configuration ? go to menu/parameters/screensaver and adjust or remove theses parameters. Not so complicate ?
Frank Marinux
Old 23-03-2014, 08:25   #29
Marine Service Provider

:-) A dedicated Os for Navigational display should default to alwys on - if you want to save energy that should be a option you choose with the risk of not having the navigational display present when a situation occurs where you need info from the display. Also, I found that even if I turned off the powersaving and screensaver parameteers, my display still got blank after a while.
I had to make a xorg.conf file:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

With only these lines:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "blank time" "0"
Option "standby time" "0"
Option "suspend time" "0"
Option "off time" "0"

This will keep the display always on even after reeboot.
Old 14-05-2014, 11:49   #30
Marine Service Provider

If I use OpenCpn "O" under Windows, O will use my default language ( Norwegian). When using Xinutop, O will not display norwegian language and there is no option for norwegian language in the O settings.
I assume the reason is simple, Norwegian language support is not installed in the Xinutop OS ? I assume the situation is the same for other languages that is not installed by default. It would be nice to have more languages avalable and installed by default, or have an simple instruction about how to install and enable your prefered language by using apt-get from an terminal. Also, Xinutop has the nice feature that you can " reset" your system to new status from the "boot menu"

When you have a perfectly working system configured with all your personal settings, sensors etc etc, it would be extremely nice to have the possibility to update the "reset" image with your perfect configured system. This way, if you mess up your system, the reset will bring back your perfect configured system and not the default Xinutop instalation. The way it works today will for most users not be usefull since a lot of configuration and changes has to be done before the system can be used.

Tags
linux, marine