Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 04:33   #1

Boat: Sailboat
Windows PlugIns for OpenCPN 4.99?

I am helping a friend on Windows-10 getting up to speed with mbtiles-charts. We got the OpenCPN 4.99 version from https://ci.appveyor.com/project/bdbc...uild/artifacts and it works for the mbtiles. Now we would like to add the climatology and radar plugins.

Can one of the beta-testers / self compilers on windows here share those two plugins for windows and the latest OpenCPN 4.99?

TIA

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 14:39   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Windows PlugIns for OpenCPN 4.99?

LeaseonLife

I would normally be able to help, however I have kept my development setup on the earlier version, to provide plugin compile support and updates with the earlier wxwidgets.

Pavel, Is it time to move forward or not?

I need to compile for Jon Gough first a new version for ODraw
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 17:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Rick...

Probably a bit premature to deploy 4.99 at sea. There is lots in flux, including the MBTiles support and interface, at least.

However, I don't want to discourage "heat-seekers" from building plugins with the latest wxWidgets version and OCPN Base 4.99, and experimenting in a safe environment.

If you set up VS2017 and wx3.1, you can build for O499. Keep VS2013 and wx3.0 around as well, for o4xx maintenance. Have two separate source trees, to avoid contamination. This approach works for me on W7 virtual from linux host.

So have at it!
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 18:16   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Will do. May have one environment on the laptop and the other on SurfacePro3.
or perhaps I should reinstall https://www.virtualbox.org/ ? I think that is what Pavel was using, but that was used for Linux virtual installations. I am wondering if that would work to do Win10 virtual installations on a Win10 machine? Wouldn't there be a licensing issue and Microsoft would clamp down?

Found this page - maybe MS supports windows10 virtual machines for development... will read it.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...rtual-machines
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 18:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Rick...

I would avoid VBox with W10 Guests. There are licensing issues....

It is simple enough to keep vs2013 and vs2017 running on one system, with separate wxWidgets versions and OCPN source trees. Then, just start and use vs2013 for legacy work, and vs2017 for new stuff. There will be minimal interference between the two versions.

Hope this helps
Dave
Old 12-08-2018, 18:51   #6

Thanks all, on linux at least I find no flaw using the latest on 4.99, mbtiles, and plugins like climatology, WeatherFax, Tactics, etc. I am just having a hard time setting up the compile environment for windows with limited bandwidth.

on edit: heat-seekers, well, what else we gonna do besides fixing boats :-)
Old 15-08-2018, 00:08   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Probably a bit premature to deploy 4.99 at sea. There is lots in flux, including the MBTiles support and interface, at least.
The truth is that I have been using version 4.99 with support for MBTiles and multi-canvas -I tagged it as 5.1.0- during a 20 day cruise on the Balearic Islands and it worked perfectly without any problems on OpenPlotter running on a Raspberry Pi 3.

It has been working specifically with MBTiles that I have prepared from the area and oesENC charts. The key is to create MBTiles not too large and with few zoom levels so as not to exhaust the low RAM of the Rpi. So I'm a little surprised at what you say about the 4.99 still too early to be used.

In fact, I made available an OpenPlotter compilation replacing 4.8.6 with 4.99 and replacing ZyGrib with XyGrib and I know that several users are testing it without any complaints at the moment.

Is it really that far from official?
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
The truth is that I have been using version 4.99 with support for MBTiles and multi-canvas

Is it really that far from official?

Ha, another heat seeker. Quick question, how do I turn on multi canvas?
Old 15-08-2018, 09:29   #9
Marine Service Provider

pinguino, l-o-life...

OCPN 5 is about 3-4 months from release.
There is lots coming, multi-canvas and MBTiles are a only a part of the new features you will see.

I am not taking bug reports from O499, yet. Be a while before a real Beta starts.

Feel free to play around in the sandbox, though. I think your idea of custom mbtiles built from your own chartsets has some merit, especially for resource limited machines.

Thanks
Dave
Old 15-08-2018, 11:08   #10

Boat: Amel Sharki

If OCPN 5 still use OpenGL it will not run with next generation Mac computers. It is said Apple will switch from the buggy Intel processors (Meltdown and Spectre faults) to its own Arm processors which does not support OpenGL and OpenCE anymore.
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Ha, another heat seeker. Quick question, how do I turn on multi canvas?
If you have built OpenCpn 4.99 you must go to the configuration options, in the display tab. You will see a new "config" tab that allows you to activate the multi-canvas view.
Warning! It will only appear if you have built the 4.99 from the multi-canvas branch.
Old 15-08-2018, 14:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
Warning! It will only appear if you have built the 4.99 from the multi-canvas branch.
That was the hint I needed. Do you use any plugins on top of the multi-canvas? At a minimum, I would need grib, weatherfax, radar and tactics_pi to work...
Thanks!
Dirk
Old 16-08-2018, 01:39   #13
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
If OCPN 5 still use OpenGL it will not run with next generation Mac computers. It is said Apple will switch from the buggy Intel processors (Meltdown and Spectre faults) to its own Arm processors which does not support OpenGL and OpenCE anymore.

Gerhard,

we all know that you like bold words and using the big brush.

Some more discussion on this topic here:
https://apple.slashdot.org/story/18/...os-1014-mojave

where you will find the following observation

Quote:
Not to mention that Slashdot, a supposedly technical community, seems to have forgotten what "deprecate" even means. It's not like OpenGL is gone next year, it's still around and supported - it just means that something coming AFTER Mojave (so earliest, 2020) will drop OpenGL. It might even be after 2020...
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 04:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
That was the hint I needed. Do you use any plugins on top of the multi-canvas? At a minimum, I would need grib, weatherfax, radar and tactics_pi to work...
Thanks!
Dirk
I usually use the dashboard plugin. The grib plugin is also built together with OpenCpn and therefore I think it will work without problems.

About the others you're talking about... I haven't tried. Note that some are only for windows and therefore I don't know anything about them as I use Ubuntu and Raspbian.

The others may be too much of a burden for the Rpi's short RAM. You will have to experience it on your own but many plugins must adapt to new versions of OpenCpn as they come out.
Old 16-08-2018, 12:47   #15

I am not on a PI anymore, the low ram and the not existing RTC killed it for me. The PI is doing some node-red for me, which is fun to learn.

Regarding multicanvas: I got it compiled, grib works on both displays, but when activating a freshly compiled radar_pi, O crashes. I didn't test any other plugins, i need the radar to work.
I go back to single-canvas for now, but will follow any development.

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug, wind