Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 07:37   #46

Re: Windows 8 Tablet with built-in GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
Tar34,

Your answer to the OpenCPN on an iPad question? Has anyone successfully installed and run OpenCPN on an iPod?

armido
I believe Open CPN for Mac OSX requires an Intel Processor. The iPad, iPod and the iPhone all run on A6 an Processors which is an ARM processor derivation. Unless recoded, I don't see Open CPN running on the iPod. You can run Open CPN on the iPad remotely from your laptop.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:49   #47

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Tar34,

Thank you for your frank, honest and informed answer. Now maybe people who are masochistic enough to expend their energy and time trying to get their Windows and linux chroot installations of OpenCPN working with an internal/external gps can carry on.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 12:47   #48

Quote:
Tar34,

Thank you for your frank, honest and informed answer. Now maybe people who are masochistic enough to expend their energy and time trying to get their Windows and linux chroot installations of OpenCPN working with an internal/external gps can carry on.

armido
The last page of this thread addresses the issue.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d-46642-4.html
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 18:33   #49

Quote:
Jedi,

Ubuntu has published their OS for use with one tablet in particular. With that, the flood gates are bound to open making Ubuntu, and eventually other linux flavours available to other tablets.

armido
Hi Armido,

Which tablet is that?
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41   #50

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

dave777,

Initially the Nexus 7 by Samsung with other models to follow. See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 11:22   #51

I am a pilot who has been watching this thread hoping to find an answer to this issue. I finally found it, so I thought I would post it for all of you sailing folks, and anyone else following this thread.

I just found an application called Centrifuse Localizer (Centrafuse Inc. - Centrafuse Localizer) that takes the Windows 8 location information and outputs it to a com port. I have it loaded on my Lenovo TPT2, and I am seeing a reasonably accurate location on my Jeppesen flying application, which tends to be pretty finicky. I haven't had any time to test it thoroughly yet, but wanted to get this post up for the rest of you.

I hope this helps all the rest of you early adopters.
Wayno H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 11:55   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
dave777,

Initially the Nexus 7 by Samsung with other models to follow. See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

armido
7 is an Asus, not Samsung (?), isn't it?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 11:59   #53

Too all those readers lost in the mist of internal/external/8/IPad/Android/tablet smartphone GPS thing:

It might be safer, in some cases, to rather use an external GPS signal - GPS reception below deck varies.

Cheers,
b.
Old 24-05-2013, 13:02   #54
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Too all those readers lost in the mist of internal/external/8/IPad/Android/tablet smartphone GPS thing:

It might be safer, in some cases, to rather use an external GPS signal - GPS reception below deck varies.

Cheers,
b.
We have a BlueTooth signal with all navdata incl. GPS, wind, depth etc. plus the same on Wifi, NMEA0183 and NMEA2000. Still, I tend to use the internal GPS on my iPad which works just fine inside. I think modern GPS chipsets are just much better than the old ones.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 13:46   #55

Yes, they are. I think ever since Sirf III they got better down below. And we are beyond SIII now.

But I am not certain all new devices have these quality chips. We have a tablet and a smartphone - the smartphone gets good signal, but the tablet doesn't, down below. I bet it is in the hardware quality used where they go apart.

b.
Old 27-05-2013, 18:09   #56

Quote:

Cheers,
b.
Yes I think that sounds more elegant than having half a dozen GPS devices all giving slightly or in some cases hugely inaccurate data better one device that can be tested and give a accurate or known discrepancy. On that which would be a reasonable priced accurate low power consumption GPS ?
JohnnyChristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 14:06   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChristo View Post
Yes I think that sounds more elegant than having half a dozen GPS devices all giving slightly or in some cases hugely inaccurate data better one device that can be tested and give a accurate or known discrepancy. On that which would be a reasonable priced accurate low power consumption GPS ?
Low power? Uhm, stay wired!

I have read that BT is a fraction of Wifi power drain. I think it applies to the short range BT classes.

My first choice would be to use an available onboard GPS source - say your base GPS wired to your PC or to your wireless multiplekser/router.

If there is no wireless/PC available data already, one can use a stand alone BT GPS puck. I think both Globalsat and Garmin make decent ones.

You will notice that once you use a stand-alone BT GPS source, you may lose the ability to view other NMEA data on your device (if you want this data to be fed into your mobile device via BT).

So I say for low-power, stay wired. For wireless, multiplex all data first, then send it via BT or Wifi, to your mobile device.

PS I think Wifi seems more popular with mobile software developers.

All above opinions mixed with limited amt of personal experience.

Cheers,
b.
Old 11-06-2013, 21:28   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Bill...
wish you luck. Please, keep us posted as there sure will be more people with the same problem in the future. If you start to play with the sensors, I would be personally very interested in the other sensors your device has as I have some funny uses for them.

Pavel
Hi,

I am facing the same problem with a Vaio Duo 11. Did you progress in any way?

Thank you to keep us updated

Libertine
Old 11-06-2013, 22:00   #59

Boat: Phantom 19

Libertine...
Yes and no... I have some prototype code that uses the Location API to create NMEA stream which works fine, but for some unclear reason the COM object (yes, the brand new Windows 8 took us some 10 years back to this "incredible" technology) is resistant to being instantiated in an OpenCPN plugin. It will give up, but to be honest I currently have funnier work to do than spending time fighting with this on an awfully slow virtual machine.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 22:06   #60

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
PS I think Wifi seems more popular with mobile software developers.
That's because WiFi is transparent TCP/IP so is normally handled in the OSs stack: very little for developers to consider.. pass http get/post requests to remote 'servers' and parse the response (it's how the CF app works). Conversely, Bluetooth is really just a glorified extension of a serial interface so developers need to consider buffering/checksums/parsing etc...

There's actually a "bluetooth conglomerate" which deals with the marketing side of BT and actively attacks the WiFi(tm) conglomerate on the web....and vice-versa... it's true to say that BT uses less power than WiFi in general but, then again, BT has a shorter range - standard transmission physics come into play ... the real question is whether the range offered by BT can satisfy a 'mid bell curve' consumer in a 40ft vessel or whether they'd be best served by WiFi...?!

Tags
gps