Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 19:40   #16

Re: Win 8.1 Surface Pro3 GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
3. I had been setting the computer into "Adapt to Presentation" so that I would not have to login with a password when it goes to sleep. That seems to be working differently now (not working).

4. We need more control over when we are required to enter a password, my preference would be to turn off the screen and power saving, and the the constant login requirement, when navigating! Microsoft does not seem to have these settings available. I have written them and hopefully it will be resolved. Bitlocker of the hard disk seems to be the culprit.
This website tells how to disable password on wakeup. It says that the same thing works for Windows 7, 8, or 10:

Prevent Windows Asking for a Password on Wake Up from Sleep/Standby

The attached screenshot shows the dialog on my Windows 8.1 tablet. But the link implies that it should be similar on Windows 10.

I've never heard of "Adapt to Presentation". A Google search of this term gave no hits. But solving this is simple for all versions of Windows. Go into Power Options and "Create a power plan." (I called mine "Chartplotter") Set it to never go to sleep if plugged in, and set an appropriately long timeout on battery. If you tend to use "Chartplotter" mode in the cockpit, you can set the screen for maximum brightness.

I keep a shortcut for Power Options in my Startup folder so that the control panel comes up at bootup. I'll then select the power plan depending on how I'm planning to use the computer (chartplotter or general "Balanced" use).

FYI, I might not upgrade any of my tablets or computers to Win10. I see that MovieMaker/Windows Essentials is no available for Win10, and I find myself using that utility for quite a few video editing tasks. Also, I'm hearing about driver issues for sound and other things, and I'm concerned that the internal GNSS of my tablets might not be supported properly. That's pretty important for a GPS program like OpenCPN, and I want to make sure that GeolocationTCP continues to run flawlessly, so I'm reluctant to change anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerScreenshot.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	107047  
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 19:52   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks Rock Head, I've been in there and some of the Win 8 settings are not working, also they added this Bitblocker to provide lockdown security on the drive, but it requires signing on all the time as far as I can determine.

To turn the dam thing off is a bit of a task, you have to save a key, but you don't want to throw the key away because you might need it. I think the answer is going to be to turn off bitlocker.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:02   #18

RDr, thanks for the suggestions, very helpful. Will need to work on this more.

Quote:
This website tells how to disable password on wakeup. It says that the same thing works for Windows 7, 8, or 10:

Prevent Windows Asking for a Password on Wake Up from Sleep/Standby

The attached screenshot shows the dialog on my Windows 8.1 tablet. But the link implies that it should be similar on Windows 10.

I've never heard of "Adapt to Presentation". A Google search of this term gave no hits. But solving this is simple for all versions of Windows. Go into Power Options and "Create a power plan." (I called mine "Chartplotter") Set it to never go to sleep if plugged in, and set an appropriately long timeout on battery. If you tend to use "Chartplotter" mode in the cockpit, you can set the screen for maximum brightness.
Do a search on the words Windows 10 "Adjust settings before giving a presentation"

That choice seems to keep Opencpn running all the time, which was my first step at getting it useable, but now I want to save some power and have it just go to sleep after 5-10 min, and then let me pull it up will in tablet mode, with no need to enter password or 4 digit code.

I think your suggestions will help. Going to make a Chartplotter Custom Power Plan which will make it easy to revert back to normal street mode later.
Old 10-08-2015, 13:33   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

BitLocker is a high security application. I would not be surprised if it required password authentication ALL the time EVERY time because that is what it is designed for: TIGHT system security integrated with military grade encryption of the hard drive.

If someone could start (or wake) the computer without a password, they could disable BitLocker, and that would be a truly idiotic flaw. If your system really requires BitLocker, you need to get used to proper high security operations. ALL THE TIME. If not, get rid of BitLocker, it isn't for you.

It can also make drive recovery (deleted files or a crashed drive) impossible. And it should terminally piss off any border agents (TSA, Customs, DHS) who demand to see the contents of your computer when crossing borders.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 20:53   #20

HelloSailor, thanks for clarifying bitlocker. It appears MS has given me security greater than I think I really need. If I could just turn bitlocker on and off it would be nice. I do have the key now but I think it will be a pain to enter this long key all the time. So I guess as practical matter it needs to be just turned of.To move to win 10 I needed to get the key I beleive. I can confirm that putting never in power options for sleep and turn off display, did not work. It slept anyway and requires the pw each time ignoring the settings. In fact I would find bitlocker a bother for any computer and any use. It is to intrusive.
Old 10-08-2015, 21:12   #21

Do some searching on how to turn off UEFI Secure Boot:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#s...f+uefi+in+bios

Just as for legacy BIOS, the UEFI firmware can be different for various makes of machine. But on my Lenovo tablets, turning off UEFI required me to enter the Bitlocker code once to deactivate, but never again after that. YMMV for your machine, but it's a start.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:06   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Many vendors, including Compaq [sic] and Lenovo have never quite been able to get their power management settings right. My laptops have continually mocked me with power management updates that eventually find their own new ways to decide when and how "sleep" will or will not work. While Windows has become very good at sleeping and waking quickly...sometimes closing the lid shuts it down, sometimes it fails to wake without a reboot...this is not everyday but rather, every time they release a power management update, they put a new glitch in it and manage to change the custom settings that I'VE SET. So don't be surprised it yours also are problematic.

BitLocker is there to ensure that if you are a VA administrator taking home a huge database, and you leave your laptop to get stolen from your car, hotel, or coffee shop, those hundred thousand social security numbers can't get taken out. Or, if you've just got your personal things on a home computer, to make sure your bank account and cell phone access aren't stolen while you're away for the weekend. Or by the kids' new friends.

Before Win8 "Pro" the only was to get it was by spending about an extra $150 for the top level of Win7 or Vista. MS didn't give it away cheap, and it couldn't be installed to a lower level of the OS. So they're being a bit generous this time around.

Supposedly it can be broken--but not easily, not by most equipment or hackers. And similarly, it can't be enabled by most users, because the instructions have been so *damn cryptic as well.(G)

One of those "Kids, don't try this at home" products.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 17:45   #23

Don't try at work either, you won't get anything done!

Tags
gps