Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 08:52   #1

Boat: One off openjunkrigged day sailer 9m
Why cannot I find Eth0 input

I have set up an RPI 4 linked in an NMEA Net work 2000 &183 operating through a ShipModulMiniplex 3e-N2K with output by Ethernet cable to RPI. I have successfully loaded Open CPN and also connected a GPS by USB.

I can see the GPS and have also created a dashboard for it and can see my position and satellite availability. I just cannot see any input from the Ethernet cable (Eth0)

There are green lights flashing on Ethernet cable connections showing that there are signals and I have also in the past checked the system by being able to read the input into my IMac to configure the multiplexer.

I have a Static IP address of 192.168.1.1 for the RPI and IP address of IP 192.168.1.2 for Multiplexer.

I want to have the sensors for wind, depth and speed showing on dashboards on the touch screen display.

A few weeks ago I knew nothing about the RPI , I now know more but still not enough!!

Some help with settings would be appreciated or a link to where I can find information before I forget the whole thing.
Alastair Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'
Re: Why cannot I find Eth0 input

Does you MAC have a static IP address also? 192.168.1.1 is a common address for the internet gateway (typically a router or access point) I would check to see that your network settings don't have that set for the gateway.

A network without internet and all static addresses can be tricky to make work... If this is truly a private network without outside communication I'd use 10.*.*.* subnets.

If this network does access the internet in any way, then I'd use 192.168.1.5 for the RPI and 6 for the Multiplexer double checking that DHCP is NOT enabled, your iMAC has a fixed address, and the gateway points to the router or access point

In debugging network problems netstat and arp are your new terminal based friends.

HTH
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote