Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2018, 02:14   #1

Where to find charts

there is a great chart downloader built into the program... but where does one start looking when the area you want isnt listed?

I am specifically looking for southern Africa including Madagascar
Old 13-03-2018, 06:29   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Where to find charts

If there are no free charts for your area, you're best source is o-charts.org. They are quite reasonable.
PS Look in the wiki and search on charts. Extensive info there.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:07   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

As of today there is no oeSENC chart set for South Africa at o-charts.
It would be possible to add it if there is sufficient interest.
Would be more expensive than the European sets.

Another option are S-63 charts. Here one should go cherry-picking, carefully selecting the really required charts or cells and then perhaps license for just 3 months.

At Chartworld.com you can have look about the portfolio.
Filter by chart producers to get to the zones you are interested in.
Or use the graphical browser.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:36   #4

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

can you just buy any area from open cpn website? how do they break up the areas to download to your computer? and can any of that be transferred to say your cockpit char plotter?
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 13:16   #5

Boat: Najad 34

Lucas....
OpenCPN is probably the best navigation program but getting charts is up to each and every user. It's neither included in OpenCPN nor the site opencpn.org. The same site though has a lot of advices and how to:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...t_installation
Good luck
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:10   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
At Chartworld.com you can have look about the portfolio. Filter by chart producers to get to the zones you are interested in.Or use the graphical browser.
Hi -I am a new OCPN user and I have some comments about Chartworld.

I have a new ship's computer and I installed both Coastal Explorer (CE) and OCPN. I tried using Chartworld to buy charts for CE because when I bought CE Rosepoint listed Chartworld as a supplier. Complete waste of time. I simply could not make the Chartworld system let me buy anything. In the end I telephoned Chartworld in Germany and spoke to someone who promised to help - he gave me his email address - I got an acknowledgement but no help. Nothing - no further replies. So I telephoned CE. They are disgusted by Chartworld and said they are removing all references to them from their site - and blow me down, they did. If I'd known this was going to happen I would not have bought CE.

I have OCPN integrated with my Furuno Navpilot511 autopilot (thanks to Matt Riches and Paul Sumpner, see here: https://digitalyacht.net/opencpn-iko...ate-autopilot/) - but I don't have access to the worldwide charts I hoped for. At the moment I have Visit My Harbour UK raster charts and that will do for the next few weeks.

Two questions:
1. Does anyone have actual current real-life experience of buying and using Chartworld charts in OCPN?
2. Has anyone talked to the UK Hydrographic Office (Admiralty charts) about how OCPN users might get access to their library of charts?

Michael
Nordhavn 40, "Coracle"
TwoHooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:19   #7
bcn

Michael,

if you go to the manual under charts and chart sources you will get some additional sources.

And then you can check at o-charts.org - the chart outlet for OpenCPN vector charts - the actual portfolio. The complete UKHO vector charts for the British Isles for example.
Expect here some additional countries like Sweden and Denmark in the next weeks. Other are to come a bit later.

Another source since last week is Fugawi as the portal for a lot of different raster charts.

In terms of S-63 charts we have good experiences with Chartworld, but in the case of S-63 you can also use Admiralty or Primar as sources - well, their agents.
Just present your OpenCPN S-63 userPermit and same as at Chartworld you can license charts.
In the case of S-63 we recommend to go perhaps for 3 months licenses, making the prices at little bit less painful.

Hubert
Old 13-05-2018, 09:31   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

You could create them very easily with GE2KAP. Here is an example of an anchorage in Madagascar:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-05-13 12.29.34.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	169720  
Old 13-05-2018, 10:30   #9

Thanks for the replies.

Hubert - I fully appreciate that OCPN would not exist without the tireless efforts of the team. Thankyou.

I would like to make it clear that the only complaint I have is against Chartworld. They drove me to distraction with their ridiculous system and poor customer service (in fact I never became a customer because their system defeated my attempts to buy!).

I have started using 0-charts.org.

I haven't looked at Fugawi yet.

I am trying to understand the relationship of charts and "apps", an expression I hate but which everyone understands. I don't suppose this will be a popular view but I have found the easiest way of explaining OCPN to non-users is to describe it as an open-source navigation app. The trouble is that most chart supplies are now tied into apps. Lots of people see the app and the charts as the same thing, for example the Navionics app+charts for mobile devices. And most of the brands of recreational boating charts have fallen into the hands of marine electronics makers. Examples: Garmin now owns Navionics, Altor Fund IV own C-Map & iSailor/Embark along with Navico. This was why I decided to make a serious effort to separate my boat from those incestuous relationships by installing OCPN. I'm also aware that official S-63 charts are always going to cost more than recreational boating charts because of the frequency of updates.

Are you able to give an opinion of how this is going to play out in the long run? Will a non-profit like Primar decide to become a supplier of charts to the recreational boating market that is "open" in the sense that their charts will run on all the major aps? Or will the OCPN team have to pick away at the various Hydrographic Offices (the ultimate source of most chart data) and try to persuade them to produce versions of charts which recreational boaters can afford and which will run on a variety of apps, including OCPN?

I appreciate this is a big question, and you may not be free to answer it.

Michael
Nordhavn40 "Coracle"
Old 13-05-2018, 11:11   #10
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHooter View Post

Are you able to give an opinion of how this is going to play out in the long run? Will a non-profit like Primar decide to become a supplier of charts to the recreational boating market that is "open" in the sense that their charts will run on all the major aps? Or will the OCPN team have to pick away at the various Hydrographic Offices (the ultimate source of most chart data) and try to persuade them to produce versions of charts which recreational boaters can afford and which will run on a variety of apps, including OCPN?

I appreciate this is a big question, and you may not be free to answer it.

Michael
Nordhavn40 "Coracle"

Michael,

one might mention that Transas is owned now by Wärtsilä as an additional step in this Industry.

Primar is by no means a "non-profit" organization. In the case of S-63 or official charts they act as a regional coordination center (RENC are those called) and at the same time as a Reseller or VAR. Admiralty does the same by the way.

OpenCPN did decide to go the oeSENC way as we do not expect that the position and orientation of the Hydrographic Offices will change with respect to licensing charts for the non-professional market.
All the charts you see at o-charts are the the fruit of licensing agreements with different Hydrographic Offices. Each one with their specifics, special ideas and update frequencies.
But as you will have seen the portfolio has grown and we will bring more coverage in the future. We are in talks with more countries and will include those over the time.

With respect to Chartworld: you might be gotten there in some battle between CE and CW.
Coastal Explorer did integrate the licensing (and billing) procedure into their program using the CW API, making it easier for the user perhaps. But as always in this cases if something goes wrong, the fingerpointing starts.
When OpenCPN started with S-63 we kept out of this track. So the licensing is much more "manual" in our case. And the users are free to go to Chartworld or to any other reseller.
We heard about two or three complaints about CW, but know other stories where users got refunded after licensing the wrong product or giving it up with OpenCPN.
And our contacts have be fluent and constructive right from the beginnings.
That's why we recommend them.

As we know that charts are decisive for a chart plotter and navigator the commitment to get good charts and reasonable costs for OpenCPN forms part of the OpenCPN universe.

Hubert
Old 13-05-2018, 12:37   #11

Hubert,

Thank you for the most interesting and informative explanation of OCPN chart sources I have read.

Quote:
one might mention that Transas is owned now by Wärtsilä as an additional step in this Industry.
Another one bites the dust and strengthens the case for OCPN as an independent navigation "app" (ugh!).

Quote:
Primar is by no means a "non-profit" organization. In the case of S-63 or official charts they act as a regional coordination center (RENC are those called) and at the same time as a Reseller or VAR. Admiralty does the same by the way.
Noted. I got the non-profit idea from their website: 'PRIMAR is an international collaboration dedicated to providing a consistent and reliable electronic navigational chart (ENC) service, and operated on a non-profit basis by the Norwegian Hydrographic Service in close cooperation with Electronic Chart Centre.' But it's not an important point.

Quote:
OpenCPN did decide to go the oeSENC way as we do not expect that the position and orientation of the Hydrographic Offices will change with respect to licensing ch arts for the non-professional market.All the charts you see at o-charts are the the fruit of licensing agreements with different Hydrographic Offices. Each one with their specifics, special ideas and update frequencies. But as you will have seen the portfolio has grown and we will bring more coverage in the future. We are in talks with more countries and will include those over the time.
Well, I wish you and the team well with your efforts, upon the success of which rests the future success of OCPN.

Quote:
With respect to Chartworld: you might be gotten there i n some battle between CE and CW.Coastal Explorer did integrate the licensing (and bil ling) procedure in to their program using the CW API, making it easier for the user perhaps. But as always in this cases if something goes wrong, the fingerpointing starts....
Hubert
Now I understand!
Michael
Old 16-05-2018, 05:09   #12

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch

Wonder why the word 'sanctimonius' comes to mind?

Tags
charts