Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 09:15   #1

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House
where do i put my email for grib files

First thank to everyone for the time and effort, simply excellent.

I looked but can not find where to put my email address to receive grib files.
Thank you
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:50   #2

Re: where do i put my email for grib files

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysurfer View Post
First thank to everyone for the time and effort, simply excellent.

I looked but can not find where to put my email address to receive grib files.
Thank you
Your default email programme does the emailing, OCPN just composes the email.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 18:18   #3

I am a big dummy for the life of me i can not find where to put my email for grib files, windows 10, thank
you
Old 12-05-2016, 18:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysurfer View Post
I am a big dummy for the life of me i can not find where to put my email for grib files, windows 10, thank
you
You don't put your email address into OCPN.

What is your default email client?

When you request a GRIB like in the first image and then press send the email will be opened in your default email software like in the second image where it opens in Outlook in my case.

If you don't have a default email client configured, or you use webmail, then just cut and paste the text of the GRIB request into the body of an email that you send to query@saildocs.com

When the GRIB is returned to you and you have saved the GRIB file (Save it anywhere you like - I have a folder on the desktop called "GRIBS" that I periodically empty).

Open the GRIB by clicking the folder icon in the GRIB viewer and navigating to where you saved the GRIB.

The GRIB viewer will then find the most recent file in the folder if you have that set as a preference in the GRIB Viewer preferences (3rd pic)

If this doesn't answer your question then I haven't understood it; please rephrase
Old 13-05-2016, 14:37   #5

Thank you very much, the problem is at my end, I went to system on my pc windows 10, and selected my email program.

I will dig and find the problem,

Again thank you so much for your time

Sincerely,

Brice
Old 30-05-2016, 02:35   #6

Further to "where do I put my email address". I am new to using the GRIB plugin in OpenCPN, and had someone demonstrating. When I try to request a GRIB file through the plug in it says there is no email associated, and I need to create an email in the Default Programs control panel. Where is this? If I say OK another message says I need to "verify your email systeme parameters". Without a search facility in the help file, I have not been able to find anything to help.
catchcryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 04:14   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Catchcey you give inadequate info. What OS? Do you have an email client configured? Have you read the grib user docs on the website and tried to set it up?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 04:18   #8

Alternatively, you should be able to copy and paste the request into your email and add the email addr and subject and then send the request.
Old 30-05-2016, 05:26   #9

I am using Windows 7 and OpenCPN 4.2.0. Yes I have read about copy and pasting the request, but my friend who was showing me said his was sent automatically and it was very easy. (He uses thunderbird).
How and what is email client configured? Naturally I have an email address (or actually a number), but how do you tell OpenCPN or the GRIB plugin? Where are the GRIB user documents? The OpenCPN help file? or which website are you referring to?
Old 30-05-2016, 06:58   #10

Since you are Windows 7, perhaps your email client is Outlook?
What is your default email program as set in Windows 7?

I guess you don't know the website opencpn.org?
Try this User Document
Grib Weather | Official OpenCPN Homepage
and also
Mail Servers | Official OpenCPN Homepage

To check your default email client in Windows 7 or 8
How To Set The Default Email Client (Windows 7 and 8) | Ubergizmo

We try not to have repeat everything for everybody. So just read and then ask. OK
...Perhaps Outlook Client does not work. If so, please advise.
...Perhaps download Mozillla Thunderbird and set it up with a dedicated email address for Grib? I use Thunderbird and have a number of email accounts on that, both POP and IMAP.
Old 30-05-2016, 15:20   #11

Wink Re: where do i put my email for grib files

Thanks for the info, it comes under "you learn a new thing every day". We have had our email addresses since 1998, and used computers for longer than that, and I have never looked at, needed to use, or known about Default Programs in the Control Panel. We don't use thunderbird, or outlook, and I don't want to, so we will continue with yahoo/gmail to look at our emails, and do the copy and paste thing. The OpenCPN help pages are perhaps written with the idea that everyone uses one of the mail server programs (now I know what they are called), and sort of glosses over the bit about not having one, especially for me who didn't understand that it might be necessary for this process (Don't a lot of people just use gmail?). We have downloaded GRIB files via HF, and also at home, done practice ones to Saildocs, via Yahoo, so now it is just co-ordinating and overlaying on OpenCPN with the GRIB plugin. Once again, thanks very much for your help.
Old 30-05-2016, 15:59   #12

I call that yahoo and gmail "webmail".

If you had Windows10 you could go to your default settings and get a Windows App for Yahoo or Gmail, or whatever.

I wonder if you could put yahoo or gmail in your default email... probably not, but if they have a desktop program that you can download and install, then you will be able to use that email program in your default programs.

It would change your use of webmail, to using your computer but using the same provider....
How about Thunderbird optimized by Yahoo?
https://downloads.yahoo.com/

Yahoo Mail Desktop App Downloads

If you have any email desktop "client" , not email server, you can add Yahoo email

How to Download Yahoo Email using Desktop Email Client
using Yahoo Pops
Old 30-05-2016, 20:18   #13

Well if you are sailing offshore usually without internet you can't use webmail. So it is safe to assume that the user of a navigation programme who will be requesting GRIB files will be using an email client.

With internet access you can get real forecasts from real live forecasters and there isn't much need to resort to GRIB files.

Anyway the cut and paste works fine. I use the GRIB request pane in Airmail to format my requests to Saildocs, or do it by hand. Read the Saildocs help files there is tonnes of useful info there.

SY Morgane
http://tweedsworld.com
Old 30-05-2016, 20:38   #14

I have just successfully requested and displayed a GRIB by cutting and pasting the message that is emailed from the plugin. The bits that need removing are "SEND " at the beginning, and ",PRESS" at the end, so it starts with GFS and ends with WIND or whatever you have. Also I needed to remove the " =" in the middle of the request as that indicated an end of line.
I am also thinking that the GRIB files I receive from Winlink (or Sailmail) which are the same ones, will be more usefully displayed on the OpenCPN chart, rather than the one on Airmail. Thanks all
Old 31-05-2016, 04:17   #15

Good point Littlechay, Its been quite awhile since I've used RMSexpress or Airmail, but depending on where you are, you might find Pavel's IACfleet plugin very useful.

KC1BKM

Tags
email, rib