Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2019, 00:47   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu
Weatherfax - Linux Mint

Hi guys, I have installed the latest version of Opencpn on my Toshiba Laptop, running Linux Mint 19. All good so far however, the weatherfax option in the plugin's does not appear. I have tried, thinking it was missing, downloading the weatherfax plugin but that also failed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you,

Barry
seagasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 01:25   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weatherfax - Linux Mint

Barry, Do you know that weatherfax required changes to run under ov50? The wxwidgets version changed and some code had to be changed.

Later: Whoops linux does not depend on wxwidgets!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 01:59   #3

Barry, it compiles for Windows here, but if there is a green check next to the travis.yml file it should work for linux too
https://github.com/rgleason/weatherf...e/ov50?files=1

Right click on the travis file and drill down it mighr help you
Old 26-03-2019, 04:28   #4

Boat: Dufour 35

Here is a 64bit package for Ubuntu 18.04 using latest git code, with no changes.
weatherfax_pi_1.8.002-1_amd64.deb.pdf
get rid of the .pdf extension.
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 00:41   #5

Cagney, thank you I installed that and away we go, rgleason also thank you for your imput, I will note that however, being new at Linux Mint (or Linux in General), it is all an interesting experience but being an old W7/W10(yuk) user, it takes me a little time to get my head around the "how to" thingy.

Thank you guys, I intend to venture where there is nothing but SSB and to download the weather through this program would be an advantage.

Barry
Old 27-03-2019, 01:44   #6
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagasm View Post
Cagney, thank you I installed that and away we go, rgleason also thank you for your imput, I will note that however, being new at Linux Mint (or Linux in General), it is all an interesting experience but being an old W7/W10(yuk) user, it takes me a little time to get my head around the "how to" thingy.

Thank you guys, I intend to venture where there is nothing but SSB and to download the weather through this program would be an advantage.

Barry
If you are going where there is nothing but SSB then don't expect Wx fax coverage either. Learn to use Wx GRIB files, where to get them from etc..

There is a very good Fax receiver built into Airmail which I usually use to receive faxs then use the fax plugin to overlay on GRIB and satellite images.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 01:52   #7

Moo, I guess its about learning, so good luck.

I am gradually figuring out how to use .travis.yml to compile plugins for Linux, using Pavel's examples. The .travis.yml CI script completes now and I am just one small step away from uploading to a Tagged Commit under git Release.

Uwe (Hans) thankfully has taken on review of all the weatherfax internet links that I had partially updated awhile ago, so there will be fresh XML files for internet downloads.

Perhaps in your travels and use of SSB you could advise us and update those files as I fear they may be out of date. An let us know any problems and tips!

I hope Sean or did-g will be able to fix the stuck cursor problem in selecting files which is a real source of trouble. This started happening recently and I think it has to do with wxWidgets changing, maybe some code that is now demoted.
Old 27-03-2019, 01:59   #8

Moo....

Quote:
If you are going where there is nothing but SSB then don't expect Wx fax coverage either. Learn to use Wx GRIB files, where to get them from etc..
Not correct at all......
Just as an example, last summer I used SSB WxFaxes from US, UK and Germany sailing from Bahamas via Bermuda and the Azores to UK. There is no way to get gribs on the high seas, without satellite communication, which I did not have onboard.

There was an issue with receiving faxes via the plugin, can't remember exactly what. I ended up using JWX for downloading (on Linux) and the plugin to process the saved fax pictures. Just test your setup before you go .....

Thomas
Old 27-03-2019, 02:05   #9

I believe Sean uses Weatherfax with rtlsdr and a dongle or ssb radio. I have not used that part of the plugin.

It would be great to have another Linux user who can confirm operation and advise on the details, so that we can finally be sure that this portion of the plugin works easily.
Old 27-03-2019, 04:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post

There was an issue with receiving faxes via the plugin, can't remember exactly what. I ended up using JWX for downloading (on Linux) and the plugin to process the saved fax pictures. Just test your setup before you go .....

Thomas
It comes back to me after thinking a bit.....
Nothing to do with the plugin as such.
The problem I had was that my CF-31 Toughbook generated some radio interference, when running OpenCPN, so faxes were not readable. Strange error but nothing to worry to much about........

Thomas
Old 02-04-2019, 23:53   #11

Me again, can the weather fax plugin be used with a Pactor Modem. I am not going off shore at present so I do not want to subscribe to Airmail but sometimes I am invariably out of internet range, Lady Musgrave Is for example.

Barry
Old 03-04-2019, 02:08   #12
Moo

Quote:
Moo....
Quote:

Not correct at all......
Just as an example, last summer I used SSB WxFaxes from US, UK and Germany sailing from Bahamas via Bermuda and the Azores to UK. There is no way to get gribs on the high seas, without satellite communication, which I did not have onboard.

Thomas

Yea but you are in one of few well covered areas of the ocean. I don't know where the OP is thinking of going but there is always Iridium available. and north and south of 60 any of the satellite systems using geosynchronous satellites.

I get grib files at sea all the time via SSB, as I said using Sailmail/Airmail. I do not have satellite communication at all. The only area that I have sailed that was well covered by WxFax was Chile and Fiji to NZ, none of my other regular areas are covered at all in a useful way.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:13   #13
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagasm View Post
Me again, can the weather fax plugin be used with a Pactor Modem. I am not going off shore at present so I do not want to subscribe to Airmail but sometimes I am invariably out of internet range, Lady Musgrave Is for example.

Barry

I use Viewfax (included with airmail but available seperately) you don't need a subscription to use airmail anyway (it works with services other than Sailmail) and just open the images in the weather fax plugin.

The fax demodulator built into the Pactor modem is pretty decent and make use of the pactors hardware DSP filtering.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:19   #14
Moo

Quote:
It comes back to me after thinking a bit.....
Nothing to do with the plugin as such.
The problem I had was that my CF-31 Toughbook generated some radio interference, when running OpenCPN, so faxes were not readable. Strange error but nothing to worry to much about........

Thomas

Ferrite ring chokes are your friend. Not the clip on ones from computer stores but the real deal. Put the rings on everything that is connected to the computer, monitor, mouse, keyboard, serial cables (NMEA), power, mic, speakers, all USB connections (especially these) etc.. etc..

There is a pretty good article on how to wind a proper choke here
https://rsgb.org/main/technical/emc/...-and-ferrites/
Old 07-04-2019, 14:58   #15

Just sliding away slightly from my post, I could have sworn back in 2011 when I was using Airmail, I could connect to my ISP without using the airmail server. Having a senior moment here, any instructions would be appreciated.

Barry

Tags
linux, weather