Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 09:54   #1

Boat: Trintella 38
Weather Routing Download

I am trying to download the Weather Routing plugin but when I click on "Windows setup package" it does not download, it just takes me to a GitHub page.
Is this plugin unavailable?
Thanks
Iain
smiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 10:08   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Weather Routing Download

Iain...
I don't about you, but I am taken to https://github.com/rgleason/weather_routing_pi/releases - the first link on that page - https://github.com/rgleason/weather_...logy-win32.exe gives me the latest installer Rick published.
If it works or not, I have no idea as I do not use Windows.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 11:26   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Most Recent, for windows, works.
weather_routing_pi-1.1109c-win32 -Climatology BETA
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:27   #4

Many Thanks. Got it.
Old 25-01-2018, 14:20   #5

Let us know how it goes. The wiki is useful, but under recent changes, particularly in the setup area (we used to have the Irma Example) so I am rewriting that.
Any suggestions/inaccuracies you note, just post here. Thanks.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...eather_routing
Old 26-01-2018, 06:38   #6

Story so Far:
Downloaded weather routing plugin and had a couple of failures due to the start point being outside the grib area. Once this was rectified it ran giving me a route across The Bay of Biscay.
Once working I tried to Enable OpenGL. This caused the programme to hang and has resulted in having to uninstall Open CPN and plugins.
I have now reinstalled but can't get it to work.
When I compute I get the message
Failed to start Configuration:The boat file does not exist.
The Boat filepath in the configuration form is:- C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\boa ts\Boat.xml
I have looked at the files and there is no plugin folder in the opencpn folder.
The Boat.xml file has the following filepath:
C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\weather_routing_pi\data\boat s\Boat.xml
If I put in this filepath into the Weather Routing Configuration and compute I get the message
Failed to Start Configuration:Boat polar failed
Failed to open
C\ProgrammeData\Opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\po lars\Test-TES-o-20+60.pol
I am not sure what the wiki is?
I am now at a loss.
Old 26-01-2018, 07:13   #7

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiti View Post
Story so Far:
Downloaded weather routing plugin and had a couple of failures due to the start point being outside the grib area. Once this was rectified it ran giving me a route across The Bay of Biscay.
Once working I tried to Enable OpenGL. This caused the programme to hang and has resulted in having to uninstall Open CPN and plugins.
The Boat filepath in the configuration form is:- C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\boa ts\Boat.xml
If I put in this filepath into the Weather Routing Configuration and compute I get the message
Failed to open
I am now at a loss.
Just one thing: Is your installation in OpenCPN4.8.0 or in a parallel installation of OpenCPN? If it's in parallel, when the WR installer is running, it asks you if you want to put WR in .... OpenCPN4.8.xxxx / OpenCPN. Do you bother to manually remove OpenCPN and leave only ... OpenCPN4.8.xxx.

In any case, it is imperative to let WR install without changing anything at the installation.

2 ° The Crash you suffered probably did damage in the installation of openCPN. So, it's best to uninstall everything and reinstall everything. But, do not forget to save your routes, tracks and waypoints before uninstalling everything. Then unzip one by one all your plugins, then uninstall OpenCPN.
After that, if you have the CCleaner software, use it to clean the Windows registry if you are running windows.

After that, reinstall OpenCPN. Then your plugins one by one, testing each plugin before moving on to the next. And finally install in order, Climatology, DRaw and WR last.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 07:29   #8

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Story so Far:
Was this issue not sufficiently obvious? Unlike other errors, it is easy to make a verbose warning for this case.
Quote:
You should post the log file from opencpn so I we can fix this.
Quote:
There is an option in the menu to run opencpn without opengl so you shouldn't need to reinstall in this case
Quote:
This would be the default boat configuration. When you save it should be in the first path.
Quote:
Failed to open
Is "ProgrammeDate" a typo?

Can you edit the boat, and select the polar?
Quote:
I am now at a loss.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...eather_routing
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 12:55   #9

smiti

One other question, Had you previously installed weather_routing?
Sean and Gille have given good advice.

Since now that you have previously installed weather_routing, please
To have all the initialization files copied from the System files ProgramFiles (x86) folders to User Files ProgramData you must "Clean" your opencpn files of all weather_routing files and folders or the initialization that is required will not occur.

For windows users, from:
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0 ---> Run "UninstallWeather_routing.exe" as administrator.
C:\ProgramData\opencpn ---> Open opencpn.ini in Notepad++ and remove all lines for weather_routing and weatherrouting, including the order of plugins "weatherrouting" reference.
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins ---> Remove the Weather_routing directory and everything below that.

Then you will be installing Weather_routing into a "clean" environment. After that you won't have to "clean" the weather_routing installation again.
Old 28-01-2018, 08:47   #10

All done and it looks to be working fine. I have added a polar for my boat and run routings across Biscay N-S(downwind) and the North Sea E-W upwind.
One of the settings in the Weather Routing configuration under Weather routing settings is "Display mark when Polar changes. I can't see any marks but it looks like there should be a change from 0-6 to 6-20 polars.
The issue I have not resolved is OpenGR.
You will remember the programme crashed last tine I switched this on. I am reluctant to try again until I know a little bit more about it as previously I could not get back into the programme to change the setting.
I am running OpenCPN on a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop.
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter String: Mobile Intel(R) GMA X3100
Bios Inf: Intel Video Bios
Total Available Graphics Memory: 358MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 0MB
System Video Memory: 64MB
Shared System Memory: 294MB.
Is this up to the job?
If it hangs again is it possible to change the setting in an ini file?
Old 28-01-2018, 12:04   #11

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
All done and it looks to be working fine. I have added a polar for my boat and run routings across Biscay N-S(downwind) and the North Sea E-W upwind.
One of the settings in the Weather Routing configuration under Weather routing settings is "Display mark when Polar changes. I can't see any marks but it looks like there should be a change from 0-6 to 6-20 polars.
You will remember the programme crashed last tine I switched this on. I am reluctant to try again until I know a little bit more about it as previously I could not get back into the programme to change the setting.
I am running OpenCPN on a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop.
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter String: Mobile Intel(R) GMA X3100
Bios Inf: Intel Video Bios
Total Available Graphics Memory: 358MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 0MB
System Video Memory: 64MB
Shared System Memory: 294MB.
Is this up to the job?
Yes, it should sure be. Even way older Intel chipsets were. What may be a good idea is looking for driver updates. Not only from Dell or Microsoft, but directly from Intel. These drivers are known to be very buggy, but i have found a version that worked for every machine I've ever had, or we found out what feature to disable in OpenCPN to work it around.
Quote:
If it hangs again is it possible to change the setting in an ini file?
Yes, of course. You simply look for a line
Code:
OpenGL=1
And change it to
Code:
OpenGL=0
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 12:51   #12

Quote:
Smiti, it would be small square. The circle is the boat location. Take a look at the wiki.
Old 28-01-2018, 15:06   #13

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
There should be a mark if the polar changes.

Open the "cursor position" dialog from the "view" menu. It will tell you which polar is used where the cursor is, after the route is computed. This might provide clues.

Quote:
Weather routing is meant to be fully functional without opengl. It might render faster and look nicer with it.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:45   #14

Both weather routing and grib plugins work fine with openGR off - other than I don't see a square mark where the polar changes. What I do see is a change in colour of the calculated route line.
I have updated the graphics driver but when i switch on openGR and Grib I get a message which says

"Overlays not supported by this graphics hardware (Disable Open GR)"

Any suggestions other than buy a new laptop.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:40   #15

Smiti

Read this https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ting_look_like

Then get a grib file that has a nice wide range of wind and include two boat polars that are for different ranges of wind. Let me suggest using the BOAT-TEST.XML file or the Boat-Climatology.xml file, both of which have two or three polars over a range of true wind speeds.

If you are not getting any little squares in a routing there has been no polar changes. So try a different route through heavier or lighter winds, or a different grib file

Tags
loa, weather