Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49   #1

Boat: Merchant Vessel Worldwide
Lightbulb We need a Long Heading Line

Hi everyone!
Most of the ECDIS and RADAR are displaying a long heading line, a long heading line is useful for navigator to determine other ships bearing in ahead of own ship.opencpn does display heading line,but What I want to suggest is about the length of heading line,the length of heading line in opencpn dos not cover the whole screen(not extend to the edge of the chart displaying area) but has been limited by the "COG Predictor Length(min)" in "Own Ship" settings.(picture pls see my post:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/feature-requests-30931-109.html#post1579203 and
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/feature-requests-30931-110.html#post1582316)

anyone think a long heading line is useful pls support!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:10   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: we need A Long Heading Line

Xiurong,

don't get it:
why does a (for example) 1 hour COG predictor does not satisfy your needs?
What is missing?

bcn
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 13:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Radar display is circular with a bearing scale around the circumference, the heading marker therefore is a useful reference to the ships compass course.

ECDIS and chart plotters do not have this bearing scale.
I have worked with Transas and Furuno ECDIS systems, in both cases, ships heading line is on the same scale as COG/SOG vector, which is selected by the user.
I have not seen an ECDIS where the heading marker is on a different scale to the other vectors.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 23:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Radar display is circular with a bearing scale around the circumference, the heading marker therefore is a useful reference to the ships compass course.

ECDIS and chart plotters do not have this bearing scale.
I have worked with Transas and Furuno ECDIS systems, in both cases, ships heading line is on the same scale as COG/SOG vector, which is selected by the user.
I have not seen an ECDIS where the heading marker is on a different scale to the other vectors.
Hi Nigel
yes,you are right,I think you are confused by my bad english description,in fact Transas and JRC ECDIS are displaying a long heading line ,most inportant is the length of the heading line is not limited by the COG/SOG vector,the heading line always cover the whole screen what ever you zoomin or zoomout.but in opencpn the heading line length is limited by the COG vector,it shows in the same length with COG vector,in Transas and JRC ECDIS the heading line is a unlimited length line.this is what I mean.pls kindly help to suggest this to the developer if you understand what I mean.
I have collect some picture for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1Transas.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	86189   Click image for larger version

Name:	1TRANSAS1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	86190  

Name:	2jrc6.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	86191   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JRCS2.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	86192  

Name:	3Kongsberg.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	86193   Click image for larger version

Name:	3Kongsberg2.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	86194  

Old 05-08-2014, 23:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Xiurong,

don't get it:
why does a (for example) 1 hour COG predictor does not satisfy your needs?
What is missing?

bcn
Hi bcn
thank you for your solution ,this solution works if your ships speed is fixed,but what about your speed is 1kts ?what about the speed is 10kts? you change the COG predictor with the speed change ? so, a unlimited length of heading line covers the whole chart area is the best answer,the line length never change what ever the speed is fast or slow...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TRANSAS2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	86195   Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ图片20140806123340.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	86196  

Old 06-08-2014, 00:30   #6
bcn

Xiurong,

with your and Nigels explications it is clear now:
you request an "eternal" COG vector (not heading) for your OwnBoat independent from the settings for the COG vector in general.

You might file a feature request perhaps.

Hubert
Old 06-08-2014, 02:58   #7

Exclamation Re: we need A Long Heading Line

Quote:
Xiurong,

you request an "eternal" COG vector (not heading) for your OwnBoat independent from the settings for the COG vector in general.

Hubert
No,opencpn displays heading line(the dot line),but the heading line is same length with the COG vector line,I request an "eternal" long heading line(NOT COG VECTOR).
Old 06-08-2014, 03:16   #8

Quote:
Xiurong,

Hubert
Hi bcn,
You have misunderstood Xiurong.
he request an "eternal" Heading line,not COG.
feature request:
1.Developing a function to control the display and non-display the very long(Cover the whole screen,even the chart scale is very small)Heading Line.The data is only from Gyrocompass.
2.Developing a function to control the display and non-display Heading vertor,which like the current version.The data is from Gyrocompass and Log.the heading vector and COG vector are in the same time length.

Most ECDIS,like JRC/FURUNO/TOKYO KEIKI/TRANSAS,have the above functions.

This feature is very heplful for crew.
tks
gongax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:14   #9
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongax View Post
Hi bcn,
feature request:
1.Developing a function to control the display and non-display the very long(Cover the whole screen,even the chart scale is very small)Heading Line.The data is only from Gyrocompass.
2.Developing a function to control the display and non-display Heading vertor,which like the current version.The data is from Gyrocompass and Log.the heading vector and COG vector are in the same time length.

tks
For my better understanding:
I suppose that you are using the heading as it it the base for bearings to objects at watch.

But for collision avoiding, wouldn't COG be the preferable information?

bcn
Old 07-08-2014, 08:41   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
For my better understanding:
I suppose that you are using the heading as it it the base for bearings to objects at watch.

But for collision avoiding, wouldn't COG be the preferable information?

bcn
For collision detection, course and speed through the water are the vectors required, not over ground.
In many case's, it is the difference in headings between vessels which determines who is give way vessel, and for this, heading through water is required.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 00:45   #11

Boat: Oneoff

As a merchant sailor I use a lot off different ECDISes. and indeed a full screen line is used a lot and would be usefull in my opinion. No need to change the vector length if you change chart scale.

For my professional navigating I usely set one ECDIS with a heading line and the otherone with a COG line. The only problem with this is that you have to remember witch ECDIS is showing what line, as it not clearly indicated on the screen.

So if this will be implemented, a small text say at the chart border stating if this is COG or HDG would be nice. (We could also show both lines together)
rooiedirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:00   #12

Quote:
Xiurong,

Hubert
Hi,Hubert
I made this picture for your reference due to my bad english,my request is simple,just extend the heading line. if you are not the opencpn developer,pls transfer my request to the developer,only a long heading line is useful.thank you in advanced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	long headingline.png
Views:	330
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	86380  
Old 10-08-2014, 01:14   #13

Thumbs up Re: we need A Long Heading Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooiedirk View Post
As a merchant sailor I use a lot off different ECDISes. and indeed a full screen line is used a lot and would be usefull in my opinion. No need to change the vector length if you change chart scale.

For my professional navigating I usely set one ECDIS with a heading line and the otherone with a COG line. The only problem with this is that you have to remember witch ECDIS is showing what line, as it not clearly indicated on the screen.

So if this will be implemented, a small text say at the chart border stating if this is COG or HDG would be nice. (We could also show both lines together)
Dear rooiedirk,
a small text say COG or HDG is no need if the HDG line is extend ahead to the edge of the chart area,because mostly the COG is set for 6 minute in comman merchant vessel,if set in 6 minute the COG vector line is far short than the heading line,pls see my above pictures,
opencpn shows heading line same length with the COG vector line,so I think a long Heading line is more useful for navigators if there are lots of ships near around.pls help to transfer my request to the developer due to my bad english.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:20   #14

Thumbs up Re: we need A Long Heading Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongax View Post
Hi bcn,
feature request:

tks
Dear Gong
thank you for your supporting
maybe most of the navigator in this forum is cruiser but not work on comman merchant vessels,his boat is more fast than merchant vessel,so the current opencpn version shows the heading line style can satisfie them.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:16   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: We need a Long Heading Line

One of the reasons a long heading line should be shown, is because (as xiurong makes clear in his diagrams) vessels show their intentions by pointing their bow correctly, (intentions to pass clear to starboard or port). It is a way to signal to the other skipper, what your intentions are. If anticipatory action is taken at the earlier stages, there is no confusion or emergency for anyone, including standdown vessel. As I understand it xiurong uses the heading line is an important tool to establish this.

Personnally, I use the heading of my bow to signal my intentions at the earliest possible stage, in crowded situations, turning channels, etc. If the other boat does not respond within a reasonable period, I know I have a problem and I must adjust even if I have right of way.

I think I a long heading line would be good.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head