Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 00:40   #1

Boat: Hanse 370
Waypoint numbering - Set start number?

I have OpenCPN 3.2.2 which is fantanstic and I run it at my Nav table and at home with W7. In the cockpit of my boat I have a Raymarine E120W.

I have hooked up the serial connections to allow Routes to be transferred from OpenCPN vio NMEA to the E120W.

It transfer works well - BUT - the way each system numbers waypoints causes confusion at the E120W end.

OpenCPN seems to automatically number waypoints for each route always starting at 1 and ending at, say 20, for a 20 waypoint route. The next route will also use the same series of numbers starting from 1 and going to it's own end number (x). Clearly there is some separate identity for each waypoint within OpenCPN because different routes can share a waypoint, but I don't see it anywhere.

The E120W gives a unique and visible number to each waypoint created. If the waypoint memory is clean, the first example of 20 waypoint route would have waypoints 001-020. The next route would have waypoints 021-0xx.

When I transfer OpenCPN routes via NMEA to the E120W it complains when it sees routes with the same waypoint number and even though the E120W allow you to skip or replace a waypoint at transfer time the resulting routes are often incomplete or mixed together on the E120W.

Maybe I am overlooking something in my process. Otherwise it occurred to me that if I could set the start number of a series of waypoints for a route I could manualy manage the system to avoid duplicates.

All hints or ideas for an operational solution welcome.
Tks
Ray
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 02:49   #2

Boat: BENETEAU
Re: Waypoint numbering - Set start number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy23 View Post
....OpenCPN seems to automatically number waypoints for each route always starting at 1 and ending at, say 20, for a 20 waypoint route. The next route will also use the same series of numbers starting from 1 and going to it's own end number (x). Clearly there is some separate identity for each waypoint within OpenCPN because different routes can share a waypoint, but I don't see it anywhere...
Tks
Ray
Hi Ray,

OpenCPN is managing waypoints inside each route, that is why you can have several 001 waypoints belonging to different routes.

I am suggesting you to put your request for a 'self starting numbering' into the tracker.

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:24   #3

Thanks for the explanation and suggestions Serge. I need to think it through more because even if I could set a start number for waypoints there would still be a big problem of managing them between the E120W and OpenCPN. Raymarine allows separation of routes into different folders for different users or uses so I will explore that a bit firther before asking for changes to OpenCPN.
Anu other Raymarine users out there xfr routes from OpenCPN? Any other experiences which may help?
Old 19-06-2013, 02:06   #4

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy23 View Post
All hints or ideas for an operational solution welcome.
Tks
Ray
Hi Ray,

I transfer routes and tracks to the Furuno GP-32 which has the same problem with duplicate numbering.

But there is a simple solution in OpenCPN. When you create a route go to the Route Manager and open the Properties. The route will be displayed with each waypoint (beginning with 001). Right click on the assigned number and select 'Waypoint Properties' Here you can change the name to something unique to that route and you can also change the icon and whether to display the name and icon. Unfortunately you must do this for each waypoint. You can also give the route a unique name. After making these changes, export the route to a convenient place on the computer for future reference, allowing you to delete the route from the screen.

My annotation system is: Assume the route is from 'Carmen' to 'Zulu'. The waypoints would be CAZU01, CAZU02, CAZU03, ... etc. The route would be named Carmen2Zulu. Helps sort them out later.

HTH, Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 03:37   #5

Terry, tks for the hint. I can see that it would work for my situation too. I play with it.
Ray
Old 20-06-2013, 07:42   #6

Ray, I have just finished installing my RM e7 and have been unsuccessful at transferring routes from ocpn via my nmea-st translator. Are you using the 'send to gps' option in the route manager. The route manager always tells me that the route transferred ok, but it doesn't appear in the route list on the e7 or appear on the e7 screen?

I'm assuming that the e7 and the e120 would have similar capabilities. I'm also assuming that the e7 would be receiving it on the 'seatalk' net via the st1-stng translator vice the nmea route.

Transferring the gpx version of the route via RM's (awful) route planning software works ok, but not very convenient.

I hadn't run into the numbering issue yet...glad you raised it here.

Thanks, Bruce
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 17:36   #7

Hi Bruce
I didn't go to the plotter via Seatalk, I used an NMEA input on the E120W. The hookup was PC with OpenCPN -->USB to Serial adaptor -->NMEA Rx circuit (there are 3 on E120W). Function in OpenCPN was Send to GPS. There doesn't seem to be any data flow control, it just spits it out the port. Worked first time.
Check you are connecting to a Rx pair of wires on the NMEA-Seatalk converter and have polarity correct. I don't have my notes with me as I am travelling but I'm pretty sure you have to connect P3 of the serial port to Rx+ and P5 to Rx-.It is also possible that the NMEA-Seatalk doesn't support the sentences used by OpenCPN, but I doubt it.
Ray
Old 20-06-2013, 19:09   #8

Bruce, just thought of another thing. You will need to set the baud rate of the Com port to 4800,N,1 in Control Panel/Device Manager. Apparently it is not set by the Com port selections in OpenCPN Tools/Connections.
Ray
Old 23-06-2013, 08:51   #9

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
Unfortunately you must do this for each waypoint. You can also give the route a unique name.
You can work around that problem by exporting the route and using the search and replace function in a text editor to change the waypoint names systematically in the GPX file.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 10:47   #10

Thanks for the feedback Ray. I tried my best without success. I bypassed the NMEA-ST converter (doesn't support RTE anyway) and believe everything is set as you describe. Even swapped the wires in case I mis-read the pin numbers. I know I don't have the latest s/w on the e7 and I don't have a user card in it, but I doubt that either of those is the cause?

I wish I knew how to capture the sentences coming out on the e7 end. My serial-usb converter has lights on it that tell me that the sentences are going out ok.

I'll give RM a call monday to see if they can shed light.

Transfer of nmea gps data directly to the VHF works ok.

Thanks again, Bruce

"Hi Bruce
I didn't go to the plotter via Seatalk, I used an NMEA input on the E120W. The hookup was PC with OpenCPN -->USB to Serial adaptor -->NMEA Rx circuit (there are 3 on E120W). Function in OpenCPN was Send to GPS. There doesn't seem to be any data flow control, it just spits it out the port. Worked first time.
Check you are connecting to a Rx pair of wires on the NMEA-Seatalk converter and have polarity correct. I don't have my notes with me as I am travelling but I'm pretty sure you have to connect P3 of the serial port to Rx+ and P5 to Rx-.It is also possible that the NMEA-Seatalk doesn't support the sentences used by OpenCPN, but I doubt it.
Ray"
Old 23-06-2013, 23:14   #11

Hi Bruce
I have been assuming you are connecting to a 'New E7", which is one of the latest models. Am I correct? I further expected the import/export features to be similar to my "Old E series" - E120W however today I looked closely at the manuals for both and I find that there is no mention of transferring waypoints in/out of the New E7 while of course there is in the E120W. Has RM deleted the feature?

The E120W manual (#81320-3-EN dated 10-2010) P57 has a section "Waypoint groups" and then progresses to "Managing waypoints" on P58 & 59. This covers saving to the memory card and a section "Waypoint transfer (NMEA)" including Sending waypoint data OUT to NMEA as well as Receiving waypoint data IN from NMEA.

Below is an extract from P58/59:
"Waypoint transfer (NMEA)
You can send and receive waypoints to and from other NMEA
compatible devices.
Note: If the system receives an active waypoint over SeaTalk
or NMEA, it is displayed but cannot be edited. Waypoints
received over SeaT alk are distinguished by an “S” waypoint
icon. W aypoints received over NMEA are distinguished by an
“N” waypoint icon.
Sending waypoints on NMEA
1. Press the DATA button.
2. Select the ARCHIVE AND TRANSFER softkey .
3. Select the TRANSFER ON NMEA softkey .
4. Select the appropriate port number , using the NMEA PORT
softkey .
5. Set your third - party NMEA compatible device to receive mode.
6. Select the SEND WPTS ON NMEA softkey on your multifunction
display .
Receiving waypoints on NMEA
1. Press the DATA button.
2. Select the ARCHIVE AND TRANSFER softkey .
3. Select the TRANSFER ON NMEA softkey .
4. Select the appropriate port number using the NMEA PORT
softkey .
5. Set your third - party NMEA compatible device to transmit mode.
6. Select the RECEIVE ON NMEA softkey on your multifunction
display ."

Much of the New E7 manual (#81337-6-EN dated 02-2013) is based the E120W as the operation and features are very similar however, although it too covers "Waypoint groups" on P132, it makes no mention of "Managing waypoints" or "Waypoint transfer". It goes directly to "Routes" on P133. Neither can I find any other section in the manual referring to Waypoint transfer.

Hopefully RM can give you a definitive answer on this because if they have removed the feature you can push all the NMEA data you like to the E7 but you won't have a way of taking it in.

Whilst searching the E7 manual I did see there is an ability to monitor NMEA data being sent to the E7 (AIS, GPS etc) in the Setup/Maintenance/Diagnostics area. It may be useful to see what is happening but only academic if the import/export NMEA is no longer supported.
I'm interested to hear the results.
Ray
Old 24-06-2013, 08:36   #12

Ray, I also noticed the lack of any nmea transfer capability, but naively thought that surely, if it's supported on the E120, it will be supported on the e7.

WRONG! Tech support confirmed your suspicions and, of course, had no idea why they had done that.

Bummer!

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
Old 25-06-2013, 00:21   #13

Bruce,
Sorry to hear that the E7 can't do what you wanted - feature DROP. I can't even see any replacement function that may be more sophisticated via NMEA2k or WiFi. Do they want to stay isolated from the real world again?

To be honest, you aren't missing much. The RM Routes/Waypoint management is pretty 'clunky'. My previous CPlotter was a RM-RC530 (12yrs old now) and its transfer features were only marginally more brutal - if you used the C-Map user card to import waypoints and routes it overwrote any wp/routes already in the plotter!

OpenCPN is fantastic. If I could find a 'pad/tablet' that is waterproof, even when connected to ship power, I would push down the path of remote controlling my NavDesk OpenCPN PC. Wait a minute, I see the new Sony Xperia Z tablet ticks most of the boxes! Anyone want to buy an E120W?
Ray
Old 25-06-2013, 04:27   #14

Ray,
RM did put wireless in the e7 so routes can be xmtd from their (lousy) pc nav program quite nicely....but means creating the route in OCPN (a must) and passing .gpx files to that program before transmission. I'll use that. Now to fix the waypoint naming problem.

I can use the Nexus 7 down below to view the e7 screen...nice wireless capability....or use MxMariner on the N7 to track the route.

Bruce
Old 26-06-2013, 16:53   #15

Bruce,
Good to see you do have an operational path but such a pity that you (and I) have to go about it in such a round-about way.
In practice I will do my on-board route planning on the E120W because I have wired my boat to allow the Plotter to be mounted at the Nav Desk or moved to a cockpit position for sailing. OpenCPN is used for planning at home or when I am away on business and as a fully fledged backup system on board.
I do like the WiFi control of the new RM series but the current range of tablets/pads are still prone to weather problems (both sun and rain/seaspray) for me to adopt - however models are changing fast and I hope to see a practical weatherpfoof solution before long.
I have a Samsung Tab 10.1 with both Navionics and Jeppeson Plan2Nav and they both work very well for what they are in good weather and certainly provided a great backup when my old plotter failed 2 months ago.
Anyway, as may be obvious by now, I enjoy the technical challenges so will keep 'playing' with options and features.
Fair seas,
Ray