Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2020, 09:14   #1

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft
waypoint alarm for course changes?

Hi,

I've imported GPX route files into O v5.2 but can't find how to activate an alarm to indicate a waypoint and a route change. I can edit routes, change colors, line widths, but nothing so far to note a course change.

I've installed WatchDog but that does not seem to be it, though it would signal destination arrival. I've searched help but failed to find what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Armand
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 07:40   #2

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Re: waypoint alarm for course changes?

You could do this with my JavaScript plugin.

You could run a script that monitors the active waypoint and spots when it changes. Not sure why you want to spot a route change but you could do that as well. Here is a script that sends the active route and waypoint out over NMEA. It does far more than you are looking for, but you could look to see how it accesses the active route and active waypoint changes. The script identifies a change of active waypoint at line 30.
You could raise an alert dialogue, although in the current plugin release v0.2 there is no way of making a sound. I will consider that for the next release.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 13:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.seguin View Post
Hi,

I've imported GPX route files into O v5.2 but can't find how to activate an alarm to indicate a waypoint and a route change. I can edit routes, change colors, line widths, but nothing so far to note a course change.

I've installed WatchDog but that does not seem to be it, though it would signal destination arrival. I've searched help but failed to find what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Armand
Antipole,

Thanks, I will take a look at it, but I was hoping that anything could be a "select all," as many routes have multiple course changes.

Before O, I used the Coastal Explorer program tied to my autopilot. When in "manual change" mode, it would sound a beep and make you "accept" (or not) every course change. While it could be set to automatically accept changes, I preferred to verify each one.

I live in Northern California and the bad air has not allowed me to get underway much since changing to O. Thus, I should get underway find out how O handles an Active route when a course change occurs. With so many features, I was assuming that even at my desk I could choose settings.

Thanks,

Armand
Old 23-09-2020, 04:38   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Armand, Opencpn does not do this. Perhaps you should more completely describe the feature and add it to the tracker as a feature request? Tracker is found at the top bar on the website, register and make your feature request. Then get people to vote for it, so it becomes "vetted >7 votes" right now.

You might also explain why you find this feature useful.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 13:35   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Armand,
In building Sean d'Epagnier's Autopilot_route_pi I noticed that he has an option for

"Confirm bearing change on Waypoint Arrival"

The autopilot_route_pi plugin allows the use of different algorithms to follow a route:
1. Route Position Bearing
2. Standard Cross Track XTE
3. Waypoint Bearing

(OpenCPN natively supports autopilot routing using #2 XTE above.)

With options for
1. By Distance with meter selection
2. By Time
and max error angle setting.

There are some notes in the Development Plugin wiki
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pilot_route_pi

I have this building for all environments (except xenial) using Plugin Manager and will hopefully be adding it to the master catalog.

The tarballs for OpenCPN v5.2 are here https://cloudsmith.io/~opencpn/repos...4.0.14*tarball

This has not been tested or used much by users, so we would be interested in hearing from users.

Please note that this plugin does not have a toolbar icon or interface and is simply set from the "Preferences" screen, that is all.

You could give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	autopilot_route.png
Views:	40
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	224185  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 12:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Armand,
In building Sean d'Epagnier's Autopilot_route_pi I noticed that he has an option for

"Confirm bearing change on Waypoint Arrival"

The autopilot_route_pi plugin allows the use of different algorithms to follow a route:
1. Route Position Bearing
2. Standard Cross Track XTE
3. Waypoint Bearing

(OpenCPN natively supports autopilot routing using #2 XTE above.)

With options for
1. By Distance with meter selection
2. By Time
and max error angle setting.

There are some notes in the Development Plugin wiki
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pilot_route_pi

I have this building for all environments (except xenial) using Plugin Manager and will hopefully be adding it to the master catalog.

The tarballs for OpenCPN v5.2 are here https://cloudsmith.io/~opencpn/repos...4.0.14*tarball

This has not been tested or used much by users, so we would be interested in hearing from users.

Please note that this plugin does not have a toolbar icon or interface and is simply set from the "Preferences" screen, that is all.

You could give it a try.
Rgleason,

Wow, seems to be a great find for my question that I will look into.

At the moment, I was prematurely anticipating this issue...from home. Turns out that when at the boat I'm struggling to get a route to be actually sent to the autopilot (I've made a separate post, and "hoolie" is helping me). Had no idea it would be this difficult.

Thanks,

Armand

Tags
alarm