Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 01:38   #16

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Watchdog_pi - AIS Guard Zone GUID

Hi Pierre,
That is a fairly comprehensive set of requirements. I think most of it is doable, but it will require a bit of work. I am currently working on OD 1.3 and another plugin, so cannot get to it at the moment. Now that we have it documented we will not 'loose' it in the body of a thread. Thanks.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:00   #17

Boat: Selection 37

Hi Jon,
Indeed, this feature request has grown large ! I am not technically skilled to develop this feature so I leave it to your own time and pace. Will be able to test it and update the relevant documentation manual if needed.
Cheers
Pierre
PierreFDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:54   #18

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreFDK View Post
Hi Jon,
Indeed, this feature request has grown large ! I am not technically skilled to develop this feature so I leave it to your own time and pace. Will be able to test it and update the relevant documentation manual if needed.
Cheers
Pierre
Thanks Pierre, very thoughtful.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 12:13   #19

Pierre,
I have done a few of the easy changes to WD and OD. They are not available as installables yet, but they are in the git repository. There is more detail in the flyspray record.

Jon
Old 18-12-2016, 18:04   #20

Hi Jon,

I see the WD codes and the record in the flyspray. Good to see this is moving forward. Since there is no installable for WD 1.9.52 and OD 1.3.15 is there something I can do ?
Pierre
Old 20-12-2016, 23:40   #21

Hi Pierre,
I have put the windows installables up on dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7fqmcrmhn...win32.exe?dl=0
and
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bc7gz823kp...win32.exe?dl=0

Jon
Old 21-12-2016, 01:09   #22

Hi Jon,

I have downloaded the two exe, will most probably be able to test it after Christmas break.
Cheers
pierre
Old 04-01-2017, 07:33   #23

Hi Jon,

I am back online after a good and merited (me saying!) Xmas break and started the testing of the new patches WD 1.9.52*; OD 1.3.15 with only test feature A1. WD alarm configuration to set Boundary State "Any", "Active" and "Inactive" that triggers a WD alarm.

I don't see change in operation from the previous versions of OD and WD, the alarms are always triggered irrespective of the Boundary State.

Also note that the alarms are triggered repeatedly ( approximately every minute) where it should only be triggered once.

See test report in attachment
Pierre
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pi_Watchdog feature test01.pdf (243.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:55   #24

Hi Pierre,
In my testing the type of boundary and its state is honoured, but I have found, I think, the issue with triggering the alarm.

Should the different types of target get treated differently for alarms, i.e. stationary moveable targets, stationary virtual marks (AIS navigation marks), slow moving targets, etc.?

Do you have a VDR file that I can use to see what you see with targets? I would also need your ODnavobj.xml, WatchdogConfiguration.xml and opencpn.ini/conf file so that I can set my system up the same as yours. Then I can explore what is happening. At the moment I am just guessing.

Thanks
Jon
Old 06-01-2017, 01:23   #25

Hi Jon,

For test01 I have used the following test sequence :
- spot an AIS target on steady course reporting every 5 to 10 seconds
- create/move an "Exclusion" OD boundary in front of this AIS target. No other AIS target located inside or moving into this boundary.
- visually check the WD pop up Message Box for alarm for different combinations of OD and WD Boundary State selections as per listed in Test01.
->The first alarm is consistently triggered as soon as the AIS target moves withing the boundary irrespective of the boundary state parameters selection in OD and WD.

So this first testing is based on a single moving AIS target. Only feature request A1 implementation has been tested.

As you mention, in a multiple AIS target environment there should effectively be an alarm per target. Note that feature request B covers the target selection for the WD alarm:
B1. WD alarm enabled for all vessels except those MMSI manually listed
B2. WD alarm enabled for only those MMSI manually listed
I don't think the target should be sorted by type (moving, stationary, AtoN, class A/B, ..) but only MMSI. Only AIS target crossing the AIS Guard Zone boundary contour should trigger an WD alarm anyway.

In areas with large amounts of AIS traffic, the OD/WD would have to process all those AIS information but WD alarm should only be triggered when AIS targets are crossing an AIS Guard Zone boundary contour as per feature request A2. So there may not be that much WD alarm triggered.

Cheers,
Pierre
Old 06-01-2017, 10:09   #26

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

My understanding is there are two levels of AIS filters/controls here:
1. OpenCPN AIS Controls
2. WatchDog

Note that AIS Operating Controls
Has these quick access "Menubar" controls, while there are also longer term controls under "Toolbar" > "Options-Settings" >Ships > AIS
One of those is "Suppress anchored/moored targets". Many users have been involved in improving these OpenCPN AIS controls and figuring out how to make the best improvements. I hope that you will keep in mind this two level filtering system as you test and develop.

Is my understanding correct? How do we make it clear to USERs that there are TWO levels of control/filtering with WatchDog Alarms?

Quote:
As you mention, in a multiple AIS target environment there should effectively be an alarm per target. Note that feature request B covers the target selection for the WD alarm:
B1. WD alarm enabled for all vessels except those MMSI manually listed
B2. WD alarm enabled for only those MMSI manually listed
I don't think the target should be sorted by type (moving, stationary, AtoN, class A/B, ..) but only MMSI. Only AIS target crossing the AIS Guard Zone boundary contour should trigger an WD alarm anyway.

In areas with large amounts of AIS traffic, the OD/WD would have to process all those AIS information but WD alarm should only be triggered when AIS targets are crossing an AIS Guard Zone boundary contour as per feature request A2. So there may not be that much WD alarm triggered.

Cheers,
Pierre
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:13   #27

Hi,
The information that WD is using comes straight from the AIS_Decoder.cpp which is where the target information is initially decoded. So there is no filtering of the messages being sent to WD (or anyone else listening on the JSON messages). So there should be no confusion as the filtering is applied to the display of targets not to what WD sees.

The Guard Zone implemented in WD is fairly simple, i.e. has a list of targets and checks if they exists inside a GZ and then shows an alarm at the frequency requested in the WD/GZ configuration panel.

It would seem that a more comprehensive alarm process is now needed/wanted and this will require a bit more thought as to how to handle it. It may also require more information to be passed from the AIS decoder in the JSON message to enable WD to perform as required and this would have to be implemented before the changes to WD. These changes could make the WD configuration panel VERY confusing for users as there would have to be many more options.

Jon
Old 06-01-2017, 12:42   #28

Hi Pierre,
I have found and issue with the resetting of AIS targets within WD. WD creates a list of targets as they are found and keeps on adding targets to the list. There is no information available to say the target is not available, i.e. is old. So WD is using the 'Repeat Alarm after seconds' as a way of removing targets from the list. This is obviously wrong.

The issue here is that you 'should' get class A targets every 10 secs (I think) and class B targets every 30secs, but sometimes you don't get them for a much longer period (possibly radio interference, over-transmission, etc.). So what value should be used to clean up old targets, as a reasonable default, so that the list of targets does not get too large? Should we be using the settings for the AIS lost/remove target (in the ships setting on the main options panel), and if so which one?

Jon
Old 06-01-2017, 13:38   #29

Hi Pierre,
I have just made a windows installable for WD 1.9.053 which should fix the repeating alarm issue you have. You will find it on github here:
https://github.com/seandepagnier/wat...s/tag/V1.9.053

Regards
Jon
Old 06-01-2017, 22:07   #30

Hi,
I forgot to mention it uses the AIS "Mark targets lost after (min)" setting to determine if the target is still valid. This will use more memory, but it should not be a problem.

I have put up patch 1.0.054 which adds a properties dialog box accessible from the OCPN Options/Plugins panel. This is so that you can see what version of the plugin you are running (it shows Major, Minor and Patch level).

Jon

Tags
ais