Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 05:55   #1

Watchdog Exclusion Alarm

Per request from Hakan, opening a new Watchdog thread for any further input or thoughts on a question that that Hakan has been helping me with.

Please see the following link. There are a few posts before it with some other comments.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2329602

Basically, I have multiple OD Points (with range ring) defined, and I wanted to use an alarm to log whenever I enter any of those exclusion circles, with a date/time and name of OD Point. If message box is enabled, Watchdog correctly displays which OD Point exclusion has been entered, so it maybe it would be possible to add one other option so that instead of showing a message box, the same information could be appended to a simple text file. This idea probably extends usefully to other alarms, for example, to log date and time when some other ship (AIS input) enters into a guard zone?

I do have some hands-on experience in scripting and also software coding in various languages including visual c#, so don't be afraid to get technical with any replies.

Just so you know, I am keeping some notes on some of the specific scenarios & applications that I have been using draw/watchdog for, and will eventually get around to consolidating a few of those into a wiki entry if they could be useful to others.

Thanks, Chris
cgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 07:24   #2

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"
Re: Watchdog Exclusion Alarm

Hello Chris,

Interesting option (especially if you are working for an insurance-company...).

FIY: I don't know if you've read the WD manual, but I updated that document, and especially the chapter about Boundary-alarms, recently to WD-version 1.9.056.

The updated manual is still in the BETA-section, but you can find it here: https://www.opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwik...ugins:watchdog

I will follow this thread in order to update the manual further if needed.

Regards,
Roel
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 13:52   #3

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Watchdog Exclusion Alarm

Hi Chris,
Can you please open a flyspray request for this in the watchdog_pi area? This will ensure that it doesn't get 'lost' in the forum.

The information you are after is in WD (OD sends this information back to WD), so it should not be too difficult to add an option to log information. It may take a little work as WD is constructed from 'parts' and each 'part' is separated and used as template for each alarm type, not just boundary alarms, so adding this and making it 'look' correct may take a bit of effort.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm