Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47   #1

Boat: 1985 Ocean Alexander 38' trawler
Viewing charts in Open CPN

I have loaded this program, installed the NOAA charts as well as my Canadian BSB charts. I watched the charts load into the program. Now when I click on charts I get a window showing a directory for the NOAA charts but not the Canadian ones. The directory doesn't list the specific chart numbers. How do I bring up a list of charts to view them. When I open the program I get a black screen with a long of red outlines, like a planning chart, but there are no numbers.

Thanks
Bert
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:26   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Viewing charts in Open CPN

Bert...
Please, really, read the manual. OpenCPN User Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage (and bundled with your installation)
Canadian charts are encrypted and need a plugin to be viewed, do you have it installed (Yes, it's also written in the manual)?
I also suggest you consider an upgrade to OpenCPN 3.2 - we were not sleeping for the past couple of months...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:37   #3

Are you seeing the NOAA charts?

After you have the plug-in installed and running, add the Canadian chart directories and you may have to do a force full database rebuild.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:08   #4

Boat: 1985 Ocean Alexander 38' trawler

My wife and I have spent 3 days trying to understand this program I seems to be for far more advanced computer people, yes I have looked at the manual and I have used other programs with good success IE active captain ,Fugowi. Open cpn is probably a good program but not for a weekend boater
Bert
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean View Post
My wife and I have spent 3 days trying to understand this program I seems to be for far more advanced computer people, yes I have looked at the manual and I have used other programs with good success IE active captain ,Fugowi. Open cpn is probably a good program but not for a weekend boater
Bert
Are you still have problems with Canadian charts? I have OpenCPN on both my desktop and netbook. With the plug-in installed I have no problems.

I have used Fugawi, Offshore Navigator, etc.. I am very happy with OpenCPN.

PM me if necessary. You may not be able to. I will PM my email to you.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:55   #6

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean View Post
I have loaded this program, installed the NOAA charts as well as my Canadian BSB charts. I watched the charts load into the program. Now when I click on charts I get a window showing a directory for the NOAA charts but not the Canadian ones. The directory doesn't list the specific chart numbers. How do I bring up a list of charts to view them. When I open the program I get a black screen with a long of red outlines, like a planning chart, but there are no numbers.

Thanks
Bert
perhaps you are a little lost because OpenCPN has started up with you out in the middle of the ocean....?
You don't "get a list of charts to view" in OpenCPN. Just click 'n drag the screen to where your charts are located. Use the zoom buttons or the + - keys on your keyboard...

Even without a gps installed , you can save your default starting place in the midst of your installed charts, using "move boat here" with a simple right click and choose it on the right-click menu you see... Then, the autofollow on the toolbar or simply hitting F2 key will center you amidst your charts....with a gps connected and configured, naturally, you don't need to move your boat...

in the toolbox you will also see the option to show chart borders. This is useful for some.

Your charts will show up on the chart bar at bottom of the screen, when O has some to show you for the area...

Otherwise, read jackdale's post.."After you have the (bsb4) plug-in installed and running, add the Canadian chart directories..."

You must download the bsb4 plugin from the Opencpn site (free of course) and put it into the plugins directory. Read about plugins in the help files...

You can see if the plugin is running by going to toolbox, pick plugins tab, etc. then show O the directory of your Canadian charts.
if you like,per
Nohal's advice per new version 3.2.- because the newer version has a much nicer background map!

There may seem to be a little more work for you in this, but these setting up exercises pay off very quickly.

by the way, any further help needed, please mention if you are on which windows or Mac or Linux,
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts