Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 06:21   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40
VentureFarther.com and Depth Recording

Hi all, I am the guy behind VentureFarther.com. I have just put in a change that hopefully greatly increases the performance of the NMEA upload. I am looking for a few people to help out with my testing by making some recordings. How you get a file to upload is to install the OpenCPN VDR plugin, and just make a recording of your next trip out (easy, just click the record button, select a file name to save to, when finished the recording just click stop). Once that is done, go to VentureFarther.com and select "Share by NMEA Recording" under the "Share Your Info" menu option. The online wizard will walk you through the rest, which should take less than a minute.

I am asking this as I know recordings from my onboard equipment work but I need a much broader range of people's recordings to make sure all is well. The bare minimum for the recording is if you have your GPS and Depth Sounder connected to OpenCPN. If you have AIS also, more the better as I also process those statements.

Now why do I do this? I think in out of the way/poorly charted areas crowd sourced depths could help mariners. VentureFarther makes these recordings available not only online but as a satellite chart overlay (KAP files).

Any questions feel free to ask and if you do run into any problems please email using the contact page in VentureFarther, including the nmea recording file as an attachment so I can take a look.

Thanks all.
jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, record