Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 10:19   #106

Boat: Bavaria 390 Lagoon 39.8ft
Re: VDR Plugin

[QUOTE=CarCode;2833899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleWhy View Post
You have tried this link below?
http://opencpn.navnux.org/O5Plugins/VDR-Plugin_0.4.pkg

Maybe the other link has a typo?

Cool, thank you. Installed and working. Perhaps a typo in the other link.
MichelleWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:28   #107

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks, Carcode. Dave fixed the link now.

Michelle Hope you will advise and make reports in tracker or github about plugins!
Let us know if there are any other MAC ov50 plugin links that don't work please.
Thank you.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:37   #108

Hi All,

After macOS, I am now trying to build on Windows (Vista 32 Bit).

I want to build a release version of the plugin for OpenCPN 4.8.8. I am using CMake 3.13.4 and Visual Studio 10 2010 (Express) which is working fine so far.

When I start OpenCPN and open Options -> Plugins, I get the following message.

"The plugin vdr_pi.dll is not compatible with this version of OpenCPN, please get an updated version."

I tried various versions of opencpn.lib from:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._compatibility

which did not help.

For OpenCPN 4.8.8, which version of opencpn.lib should I use? Should pi115 (1.15)= OpenCPN 4.8.2 be OK? I'll try building OpenCPN next.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Zoapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:45   #109

Boat: Phantom 19

Zoapone...

You really should read, and also follow, the documentation. OpenCPN 4.8.8 is built using Visual Studio 2013, it is impossible to use plugins built with VS 2010 with it.

Investing any effort in what you are doing now is also a total waste of time, OpenCPN 5 is around the corner and is using another toolchain (VS 2017) and wxWidgets version (3.1.2), so any effort you invest in anything 4.8 related will be in vain in a matter of weeks.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 11:33   #110

Lightbulb Re: VDR Plugin

Hi,

Since I not have any developement skills I can not contribute with with any new code but I have an idea for improvement of this plugin. I think it would be nice if there was an option to start the recording automaticly when starting OpenCPN. The recordings could be saved in separate files for every day.

Maybe someone with skills and time would be able to implement this?
keoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:19   #111

Could someone point me to the master code on Github? The compiled version is 0.4 but I only see 0.3 from SethDart.

Thanks.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:49   #112

Boat: Phantom 19

https://github.com/SethDart/vdr_pi/pull/2
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:04   #113

Pavel ...

Perfect. Thanks.
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:08   #114

Hi All

Found the package directory for vdr. I can compile this for (64bit Mojave)

In looking for plugins to compile up for folks (Including me) on macOS I found vdrPlus

The biggest stumbling block I have without spending a lot of time is figuring out a more cross platform equivalent for windows.h otherwise it is compiling crashes of course because I have no clue what lib it isn't finding as I say without figuring it all out .....

Any advice as to what include this is catching would be greatly appreciated.

/Ron
RonSouthworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:20   #115

Isn't Pavel's "packaging" branch the same, with all the PR that have not been merged by SD. https://github.com/nohal/vdr_pi/commits/packaging

I've been using that.

Ron, vdrPlus has many of the improvements I would like. It works, but it is a little rough and needs some polishing. What I like is the ability to select an area of a file to play, to be able to speed it up and slow it down, and then be able to go back to that time again and run it, with out having to start at the beginning. I've fallen back to vdr_pi because it is totally reliable and I always have it loaded, but I should try out vdrplayer again, Mike was llstening to my grumbles when he wrote it. So I really should be using it.

Ron, I thought you were using shipdriver for this purpose, or have I got that wrong?
Old 10-05-2019, 05:52   #116

Ron look at the cmake files, I don't think windows.h is the problem.
What lines are you using to configure and execute the build?
I see conditionals with "APPLE"

For example, for windows for an ov42 setup using wxWidgets 3.0.2 the first command sets up the environment for the build writing into cmakelists.txt

cd into the build directory
cmake -T v120_xp ..

The the build is simply
cmake --build .
cmake --build . --config release

Package it using NSIS
cpack

For Opencpn v5.0 Plugins using wxWidgets 3.1.2 the first cmake line for Windows should be
cmake -T v141_xp ..

That first cmake line is critical to setting up cmake for Mac for example.
But of course Mac is entirely different, so perhaps this means nothing to you?

Also this Cmake file was done by Pavel some time ago (3/13/2018?), so that may be slightly different for Apple than the other plugins you are familiar with..
Old 10-05-2019, 07:45   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Isn't Pavel's "packaging" branch the same, with all the PR that have not been merged by SD. [URL]https://github.com/nohal/vdr_pi/commits/packaging
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the feedback

Im achieving a few things in one activity, firstly trying to get as many plugins that have not been compiled by anyone else packaged up onto the directory i’ve set up for people to use.

I stumbled across a couple of repo’s that had what looked to be the same code. vdrPlus_pi the two i found will only build a windows package without some re gigging

Working out compiler errors is something I have had far too much experience in Dr google and I are well acquainted makes sorting out stuff a lot easier than way back.

I will check out Pavel’s repo and see what diff’s there are between them all a good re-learning / learning exercise. If i find a version that is cross platform i will let you know.

I found the package directory used for creating the osx version ov50 for vdr_pi and I can compile it

that one is available for people to download. I have found there is some speed improvements with the completed packages from my present build environment compared to other apps opencpn loads quite snappily

I might have worked out the problem with crashing on startup caused by the tactics waypoint not being deleted before restarting,

Looks to be something related to the initialisation of the waypoint pointer string. Some cross platform quirk by the looks of it, the one change i have tried works but it is not elegant yet

Im hoping i have an ansi c solution for it. I will try it in the morning I like being able to have something that makes all the compilers happy.

I am using a few sim tools actually including ship driver.

I have that working quite nicely as intended except for one little feature id like to add to it to make it able to sail to the bahamas under it’s own steam following a route. Getting it to read and alter bearing on autopilot to steer towards the active waypoint so it looks like it is an autopilot.

I have some stuff i plan to port over into my branch of ship driver it is a really old bit of code i have tweaked over a few years the java code is rough in places but it all works

The gps code i developed i was very happy with except with the geoidic spherical model,

/Ron
RonSouthworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 18:22   #118

Quote:
Hi Rick, Thanks for the feedback Im achieving a few things in one activity, firstly trying to get as many plugins that have not been compiled by anyone else packaged up onto the directory i’ve set up for people to use. I stumbled across a couple of repo’s that had what looked to be the same code. vdrPlus_pi the two i found will only build a windows package without some re gigging Working out compiler errors is something I have had far too much experience in Dr google and I are well acquainted makes sorting out stuff a lot easier than way back. I will check out Pavel’s repo and see what diff’s there are between them all a good re-learning / learning exercise. If i find a version that is cross platform i will let you know.

Exactly, Pavel, updates the Cmake files to plugins as needed. These are essential changes to add or fix setup & build for various OS. Also contains the version number various libraries etc as needed. Not all the plugins are the same or updated from what I can tell.

I am studying them and slowingmaking small changes so the version "-ov50" gets put in the plugin filename.

Quote:
I found the package directory used for creating the osx version ov50 for vdr_pi and I can compile it that one is available for people to download. I have found there is some speed improvements with the completed packages from my present build environment compared to other apps opencpn loads quite snappily

Great

Quote:
I might have worked out the problem with crashing on startup caused by the tactics waypoint not being deleted before restarting,

Looks to be something related to the initialisation of the waypoint pointer string. Some cross platform quirk by the looks of it, Im hoping i have an ansi c solution for it. To try in the morning I like being able to have something that makes all the compilers happy.
Sounds about right will check out your change.

Quote:
I am using a few sim tools actually including ship driver. I have that working quite nicely except for one little feature id like to add to it to make it able to sail to the bahamas under it’s own steam following a route.
I see, play VDR_pi VDRplayer or VDR Plus and a file and have ShipDriver follow it.

Nice.

Quote:
I have some stuff to port over into my branch of ship driver i’d like to build it up to simulate what i would call a typical ocean going vessel steered by an autopilot simulation. it is a really old bit of code i have tweaked over a few years the code is rough but it all works the rudder angle values step in 2 degree increments instead of one i know what is wrong ive just never fixed it up that and generating a rudder angle message Once i can sort out wxFormBuilding the U/I i will post an image of the U/I and the config page once i have that sorted the cutover should be pretty easy all the math has heaps of comments which helps remember the structures and all the little things i wanted to fix. i thought I had lost the code but found a thumb drive backup of it

Sounds very interesting. You could also check out Pypilot that Sean has been working on. He says it uses far less energy than normal Autopilots. You might find the code interesting.
Old 10-05-2019, 18:27   #119

Plugin Resources

Plugin Sticky thread at the top

User Manual - Plugins

Dev Manual - Beta Plugins
Old 04-07-2019, 07:59   #120

Boat: ETAP 30i

To save the NMEA data with VDR, you have to click on the icon, a window opens and you have to write a name for this recording that has been started.

This is long and especially not practical when navigating...

Would it be possible to automate this process ? (a bit like the logbook)

So, for example, the process could be the following :
- we click on the icon "VDR recording"
- automatically, a file is created in ProgramData / opencpn / plugins / VDR / ******. txt

where the file name *****. txt would be of the style: VDR_Year / month / day / hour / minute / second

Example: VDR_20190706164533.txt (4 July 2019 at 16h45mn33sec).

I filed this request on the Tracker, those who are interested can vote
FS#2592 - simplify the backup process
(https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2592)
Schnapsy is offline   Reply With Quote