Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 19:55   #1

US GlobalSat BU 353 Issues?

Hi all,

Curious if anyone is having luck using this GPS receiver? I'm using Windows 10 and the latest version of OpenCPN. I have the unit hooked up, have installed the driver, but can't seem to get the software to see it.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 20:33   #2

Re: US GlobalSat BU 353 Issues?

OK... I figured out my issue. When installing the U-Center software there is a dialogue box that pops up and you have the drop-down option to use the existing windows USB drivers or install the one for the receiver. I just reinstalled and selected the option to install the driver specific for the receiver and all works well now.
Old 12-02-2018, 22:43   #3

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
OK... I figured out my issue. When installing the U-Center software there is a dialogue box that pops up and you have the drop-down option to use the existing windows USB drivers or install the one for the receiver. I just reinstalled and selected the option to install the driver specific for the receiver and all works well now.
Don't recognize 'U-center' but the best procedure is to install the latest driver from Globalsat here. Or is that what you are calling the 'u-center'?

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 23:27   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
Don't recognize 'U-center' but the best procedure is to install the latest driver from Globalsat here. Or is that what you are calling the 'u-center'?

Terry
U-center is an app from ublox
https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center-windows

You may install their GNSS location sensor, see eg
https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default...5022397%29.pdf
"Starting with Windows 7 Microsoft introduced a built-in platform for the support of sensor devices, including location sensors, such as GNSS positioning chips and modules. As part of this support, the Windows Sensor and Location Platform provides a standard way for u-blox to connect GNSS devices. At the same time, the platform gives developers a standardized API and device driver interface (DDI) to work with sensors and sensor data.
The u-blox Sensor Device Driver connects all u-blox GNSS receivers to the sensor and location API structure for Windows 7 onwards. It parses and converts u-blox GNSS messages into the standard sensor properties which can be accessed by the location and sensor APIs "

It's nice to know it supports the popular GlobalSat BU 353 unit on top of their high-quality range of u-blox GPS chips, used in e.g. Navilock NL-8002U USB 2.0 Multi GNSS Receiver u-blox. This unit can receive GPS, GLONASS, BEIDOU, GALILEO, QZSS and WAAS sats.

See this thread
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-195025.html
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 07:18   #5

Thank you for the replies. Yes, the BU353 works well for receiving GPS - even indoors on the second floor of a brick house. I plan on placing it near the portlight above the nav station on my boat. It comes with a USB cord about 2m long. I am not sure about receiving GLONASS BEIDOU etc.

I’m brand new to opencpn, but not to sailing. I wasn’t sure how much I would like opencpn, so I bought the BU 353 because it was cheap and had good reviews.

I’m realizing now how powerful the opencpn software is... lots of possibilities that I’m very excited about.

I just ordered an SDR dongle and I am excited to see if I can receive AIS.