Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 11:55   #1

US Army Corps of Engineers Great Loop charts

I cannot get the US Army Corps of Engineers enc charts to display in Opencpn. I am setting up my backup to my GPS chart-plotter. I have the hard copies for third backup. Any help would be appreciated. I downloaded them from here.
Thanks Everett http://www.agc.army.mil/echarts.
everett.arndt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 16:27   #2

I have the Tombigbee river charts loaded and working well. I'm running opencpn 3.2.2 on windows xp sp3.

Just saying ...

Bert
rwsaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 05:08   #3

Re: US Army Corps of Engineers Great Loop charts

How did you load the charts?
Everett
everett.arndt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 06:10   #4

I went to this site : http://inland.agc.army.mil/enc/echar...ileRequest.cfm , filled in information, selected the charts I wanted, then hit "submit" button on bottom of the page. When the download completed, I unzipped the file(s), then copied the folders under ENC_ROOT (one of mine was U37TB001 ) into my "charts directory". When I next opened OpenCPN, I went to: options, charts and selected "scan charts and update database". Using the cursor, I moved my boat onto the outline of my new chart, then selected the chart from the status bar. It took about 5 minutes the first time I selected the chart to convert from ENC to SENC but since then all has worked well.

BTW, I cannot use these (or any ENC) charts with my linux installation on my tablet. I don't think the issue is with the charts but most likely a memory limitation in the tablet.

HTH,
Bert
Old 20-09-2013, 06:15   #5

I went to this site : http://inland.agc.army.mil/enc/echar...ileRequest.cfm , filled in information, selected the charts I wanted, then hit "submit" button on bottom of the page. When the download completed, I unzipped the file(s), then copied the folders under ENC_ROOT (one of mine was U37TB001 ) into my "charts directory". When I next opened OpenCPN, I went to: options, charts and selected "scan charts and update database". Using the cursor, I moved my boat onto the outline of my new chart, then selected the chart from the status bar. It took about 5 minutes the first time I selected the chart to convert from ENC to SENC but since then all has worked well.

BTW, I cannot use these (or any ENC) charts with my linux installation on my tablet. I don't think the issue is with the charts but most likely a memory limitation in the tablet.

HTH,
Bert
Old 20-09-2013, 07:27   #6

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Everett,
I have loaded and displayed the IENC charts with OpenCPN just like any other chart group. I've inserted a link to a screen capture of my chart setup.
2013-09-20_1014IENC - jstevens8352's library

One of the problems I've had with using the IENC charts when not underway is that they are so small. They only cover the area of the waterway and maybe a mile or two on either side. When in planning mode it is very difficult to position the cursor over the IENC chart so that is shows up in the chart list at the bottom of the display. Even with chart boundaries turned on they are difficult to locate.
Below is a link to the display of a small portion of the Illinois River in OpenCPN.
2013-09-20_1023IENC - jstevens8352's library

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48   #7

Do these IENC River charts NOT show soundings? Or am I missing something?
ButchG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46   #8

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

ButchG,
The IENC specification does cover soundings. I do not get a sounding display in IENCs with OpenCPN as well. This may be an OpenCPN issue. I believe I saw soundings when I displayed IENCs with Fugawi, but that was a number of years ago. I don't have Fugawi on this system so I can't verify that.
Hopefully rwsaxon (or any poster who has used the IENCs) will state if they get soundings with OpenCPN, and what chart they are dealing with.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, engine, engineer