Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33   #1

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Ubuntu Touch - not only for Nexus Devices!

Those of you familiar with my thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...now-94064.html probably know I'd rather be using OpenCPN on a tablet with a native Linux operating system than along side android.

So, when Canonical announced Ubuntu Touch was being developed for the Nexus line of phones and tablets I mentally added the Nexus 10 to my list of must haves.

But wait, a random search on the net this morning to see if Ubuntu Touch is being tested on the Xoom, I discovered the answer is yes.

Ubuntu Touch Xoom Port - xda-developers I don't expect much to come from the effort unless the hardware manufacturers release information necessary for the devs to succeed developing Ubuntu Touch for the Xoom.

A little more digging and I found there is development of Ubuntu touch ongoing for a respectible number of tablets.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices#Work_in_progress

The upshot for those of us who want to ditch android for Linux is, as more tablets capable of using Ubuntu Touch come on line our choices of which tablet to buy based upon what we want to spend grows.

I'll be following developments closely, and encourage those of you interested in these recent developments to chime in with whatever useful information you come across related to this thread.

I expect things to move quickly, and workable Ubuntu Touch ROMS to be available for some devices even before they are ready for the Nexus brand.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:13   #2

Re: Ubuntu Touch - not only for Nexus Devices!

I was feeling lucky today, so I downloaded and installed Ubuntu Touch on my Xoom. It has a long way to go before it will be useable, but having Linux actually boot instead of android was satisfying in and of itself. Because I made a nandroid backup before wiping all data from the Xoom, it was easy to restore my system to it's former state. I didn't even have to reinstall Linux using Linux Deploy. OpenCPN and zyGrib work as before. It was to say the least an interesting experience.

armido
Old 07-03-2013, 16:59   #3

Folks,

Sadly, Ubuntu may be producing an Ubuntu interface for phones
and tablets that will have no support for the many applications Linux users are accustomed to using on their P.C.s - like OpenCPN.

There are 12 comments following 'five facts' that involve some pretty hefty, technically oriented stuff - but not so much most people won't understand the problem and consider the possibilities here; Five Ubuntu Touch Facts | jonobacon@home

I encourage anyone interested in Ubuntu Touch, and who expects to run standard Linux programs like OpenCPN and zyGrib thereupon take the time to visit the site.

We can only hope Ubuntu Touch, in it's final incarnation supports 'legacy' Linux programs. Too soon to really know.

armido
Old 07-03-2013, 17:34   #4

Odd.

It appears the 12 comments at Disqus Comments at this site Five Ubuntu Touch Facts | jonobacon@home are no longer accessible.

I copied all 12 if anybody else has a problem getting to them. Maybe my device has been blacklisted because I copied the comments...

armido

Can post most relevant parts if necessary.
Old 09-03-2013, 18:45   #5

Boat: On the Hard

Post them as it would be an interesting read.
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:45   #6

Never mind the site is back up.
Old 09-03-2013, 19:00   #7

Interesting read but not important. There are so many flavours of linux out there that support ARM that Ubuntu's choices vis a vis their business plan does not need to affect us. It may affect that hardware selection however. Two points.

MxMariner's developer Will last I heard is working on integrating S57 charts on android or so I heard. Dont take it for gospel. Secondly, mainstream hardware like the nexus 7 will see dramatic price drops this year. From what I hear the 7 will be around 150 by May with a reduced clearance price of 99 for Xmas when the next model comes out. So my suggestion is simply to wait....

/ch
Old 10-03-2013, 07:10   #8

sailias,

My interest in the Nexus was solely based upon assertions the installed O.S. would be Linux. Ubuntu is not my preferred flavour but my view is most any Linux version is better than android.

I also assumed, possibly incorrectly that Ubuntu Touch would enable users to run most of the freely available Linux software like OpenCPN. The jury is still out on this, especially because the response from the Linux community may cause Canonical to rethink their 'business model' and delay release of Ubuntu Touch while they adapt the system to support Linux programs.

I can appreciate some sailors choosing MxMariner because it runs on android, but I'm a dyed in the wool open source, Linux enthusiast*with an appreciation for OpenCPN. So, until a genuine Linux alternative that supports legacy Linux programs on arm tablets arrives, I'll stick with running OpenCPN on my android tablet in a Linux chroot environment. Others can do the same by following my instructions found here: *Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

armido
Old 28-02-2014, 04:25   #9

Has anyone actually got this working? I'm thinking of buying an Experia Z tablet (waterproof) to run Ubuntu Touch and OpenCPN.
campr is offline   Reply With Quote