Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2020, 17:52   #1

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft
Two OCPN problems

Hello All,

I have 2 problems. Any help will be welcome, thanks.

First, I have the WMM and Grib plugins installed but disabled. I do not use them. How do I get rid of them? There's no "uninstall" button.

Second, I have the Google Earth plugin installed and enabled, however, I have not used it from within OCPN for many months. Yesterday I tried it, and the GE window appeared but was simply gray, but with the "Connected to chart viewport" square is checked.

The GE program installed on my laptop works fine outside of OCPN.

For problem 1, What follows is a snip from my log file:

5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\dashboard_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: chartdldr_pi: DeInit
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartscale_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: opencpn::MyFrame exiting cleanly.
5:29:26 PM: Chart cache purge
5:29:26 PM: Chart cache PlugIn purge
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\gecomapi_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\dashboard_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartscale_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\grib_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\wmm_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: Chart cache purge
5:29:26 PM: opencpn::MyApp starting exit.
5:29:26 PM: LOGBOOK: 2020-05-23 00:29:26 UTC OFF: Lat 33.35800 Lon -79.28200
5:29:26 PM: UnLoading Tide/Current data source: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\tcdata\HARMONIC.IDX
5:29:26 PM: opencpn::MyApp exiting cleanly...
Old 22-05-2020, 17:54   #2

Re: Two OCPN problems

....I'm using Win 10 OS, and OCPN 5.0.0.
Old 23-05-2020, 01:31   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Crabs_A_Lot View Post
Hello All,

First, I have the WMM and Grib plugins installed but disabled. I do not use them. How do I get rid of them? There's no "uninstall" button.

WMM and GRIB (same as Dashboard and Chartdownloader) are integral part of OpenCPN. Therefor you can only disable those, but not uninstall or delete.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 02:27   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

I have this google earth issue too, although it is only mildly inconvenient, I would still be interested in a solution.
Old 23-05-2020, 03:52   #5

Boat: Amel Sharki

You have given the answer already yourself. See your log file:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Crabs_A_Lot View Post
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\grib_pi.dll
5:29:26 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\wmm_pi.dll

To uninstall and delete the grib plugin and the wmm plugin forever go with the Windows file manager called Explorer to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins and delete the files grib_pi.dll and wmm_pi.dll as well as the folders grib_pi and wmm_pi. Installing a new version of OpenCPN they will be back however.

The Google Earth software API has changed meanwhile and therefore does not work anymore with OpenCPN. To make it work again you must first delete Google Earth and after that download Sat2Chart and the Fix_GE_API from DownloadÂ*
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 16:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
The Google Earth software API has changed meanwhile and therefore does not work anymore with OpenCPN. To make it work again you must first delete Google Earth and after that download Sat2Chart and the Fix_GE_API from DownloadÂ*

Thank you CarCode for that! I will attempt to do as you say. Being as old as I am, I have no idea what an API file is, but I will try anyway.
Old 25-05-2020, 19:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
To make it work again you must first delete Google Earth and after that download Sat2Chart and the Fix_GE_API from DownloadÂ*

OK, this is my progress so far:

Note I'm using Firefox as my browser.

Renamed GE Pro 7.3.3.7699 (So I can go back to it if need be).

Downloaded and installed the older GE 7.1.2.2041 from your Sample site.

Downloaded and installed Sat2Chart exe from your site. This required me to install ooRexx which I did. I accepted all defaults.

Tried to download the Fix_GE_API exe from your phiggins site, but what appears when I try that is this message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache Server at Sample Port 80

In OpenCPN>Options>plugins I see the "GE 1.3" plugin and when I enable it I still see the grayed out GE box.

In my OpenCPN plugin directory I see a number of files and folders called gecomapi_pi ---- am I supposed to delete these manually before I am allowed to run these Sat2Chart and Fix_GE_API programs?

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 26-05-2020, 12:30   #8
Moo

Ryan,

You'll need to uninstall the old Google earth. You can't just rename it.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 14:16   #9

Thank you, Moo, and everybody who responded. I have decided that I can do without Google Earth "as a plug-in" to OCPN. It works fine as a stand alone program. No advantage in tying them together.

Between having to download and install and then maintain the programs "Sat2Chart" & "Fix_GE_API" & "ooRexx" & "GDAL" & the older Google Earth version just for this one plug-in, well, it's just too much for my old brain cells.

I might view the situation differently if Google and/or Microsoft weren't ACTIVELY messing with the API just to make things difficult.

Ryan