Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 03:02   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Trying 'for Real' Tomorrow!

Just bought a Windows 7 computer and it is playing havok with my nav programs and wouldn't let my GPS do its GPSing till I gave it a kick in its latitude

Anyway downloaded OpenCpn (can't find the latest version mentioned in another thread... is this a secret society?) and tomorrow we are off on a 58 mile cruise from Penang to Langkawi.

So I will be able to test it on the road

If it works well then my new computer nav problems are solved!

Seems simpler than many programs and it did take me quite a while to work out how to activate a bloody route! Is this some other test? Anyway finally figured that out (theres prolly a help manual that I will find just after I have learned everything...

Anyway wish me luck while you are driving your desk at work and we are out exploring the world you thought you had your name on...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 03:48   #2

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
Good luck Mark.
You've got to try the anchorage at Datai Bay - up on the North West coast. I've only seen it from shore-side but it seems just about perfect.
It's on my list of destinations for that RTW trip.
Oh and yes; I'm deeply envious.

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 04:02   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdykes View Post
anchorage at Datai Bay
OK found it.

Photos don't look too shabby at all!

Thanks

Mark

Old 23-11-2009, 04:12   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Mark the latest version is here.
OpenCPN | Get OpenCPN at SourceForge.net

BTW
Good luck and have fun.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 06:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Latest Version....

Mark....

Download and install the latest Beta version from

opencpnbeta

Its version 1.3.5 Build 1122. Probably a few minor bugs still, but I'd love to see an at-sea test.

Good luck, and have a great cruise.

Dave

p.s. Great photos on your website
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 09:55   #6

Boat: Fantasia 35
Mark,

Here is the in-progress help file for OpenCPN: gmau

Have a nice trip,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 04:32   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Mark, keep us informed on your experience when you get a chance. Have a great trip, but leave the rodents at home!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 01:52   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Hey guys

We arrived in the southern islands of Langkawi a few days ago and just arrived at the main town today for internet connection and duty free beer... a case of 24 cans of beer is about US$12 so I am taking orders Actually I am drinking some Aussie beer I got for $1 per (small) bottle. Bliss!!!!

I did not have time to download the latest version

The OpenCpn worked fine but did give me the blue screen of death (Win 7) a number of times. It was either the program or the way it deals with my Garmin 76CX. The problem has also occur with some other not so well purchased versions of nav programs I have seen so it could be the GPS.

The main things I liked were:

Very quick start up! I don't run the laptop all the time so booting the laptop and the nav takes quite a long time! This cut that time down immensely.

I liked the track line thickness that varies when you zoom out or in.

I love the easy route making and multiple route making. Going between the islands here you could easily have 10 routes. Its good to be able to quickly knock up a 'simple' 2 mile route and have it saved there for future use. planning a longer route is just as quick it seems

I like the droppable mark. Very useful for us as we put a mark in to indicate dangers near the route. Maxsea is woeful at it and Navman even worse and others just impossible.

I LOVE the depth settings so the depths I am interested in are in bold and the deeper depths are greayed out. Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the measure device. I would like to have multiple measure devices. I mean, really, when one measures something they are measuring it against something else. Which is shorter A to B or A to C then B? And there needs multiple point paths too

The things I disliked:

Center Boat in Chart or Auot Follow: The boat is in the center of the screen! I want it in the part of the screen I have already been so the part I have not been is larger. i.e. my boat should be at the bottom of the screen if I am going North. I already know what I have passed No screen is large enough but I need to know whats coming up in front of me

Program stopping, not responding, blue screen of death. I don't care if its the GPS or what, I NEED a program that will be extra extra tolerant of any GPS. Please don't stop on me when I am trying to get between 2 rocks only 167 meters apart!

The Course and Speed need a filter so that the GPS perceived course changes iin 1 second are not reflected on my screen. The average course over 10 seconds or whatever is far better. Same with speed.
See the attached photo below of screenshot where I KNOW i was going in an exact straight line: No wind, on engine, on Autopilot, exactly parallel to the course line.

The Track option kept deselecting itself whenever I turn the program off. I want the option to be allowable to be Always On. I always want the track. Who doesn't? Drug runners?

I think some of the charts here may be a bit off. Maybe 100m. But that would be the charts not OpenCpn

I pushed the Tieds and Currents buttons but nothing happened. I wanted dancing girls? I have Total Tides so its not importants but am I missing something?

Things I don't use.
Don't have an AIS receiver
Don't upload to a GPS cos we have to do that on paper to the chartplotter at the nav station (what a bore!)
the Shift to Large or Small Scale Charts buttons dont work. But then I do that with the mouse anyway. Probably an old version feature.

All in all, given that I have never been part of the discussions here, never had previously downloaded it etc, I was nicely surprised that it works so neatly, quickly and does some things that I think are simple, simply. Where some expensive packages do those simple things badly, complicatedly or frustratingly complicatedly!!!

For those working on it in development (I don't even know!) please keep it up! It is well worth it. I wouldn't stick my dick in your ear and lie. Its a good program.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	11360  

Old 02-12-2009, 17:12   #9
Long Range Cruiser

I was hopeing for some feedback from the developers on my feedback

Mark

Old 02-12-2009, 19:51   #10
Marine Service Provider

Tracking GPS

Markj...

Coupla points:

1. Course and speed filtering is not done, and seems a questionable idea. The speed and course are what they are instantaneously to the best of the GPS's ability.

The tracking function does not use course and speed. It uses only Lat and Lon position report from the GPS. Either your GPS was having a rough day, or there were some bizarre currents where you were sailing.... Or maybe the beer?

You can adjust the track parameters on Toolbox->Etc. What parameters were you using?

Make sure your GPS is set to produce at least three digits of resolution, if possible.

2. Tracking-on upon startup is on the next release feature list.

Thanks for the feedback
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 15:21   #11

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Course and speed filtering is not done, and seems a questionable idea. The speed and course are what they are instantaneously to the best of the GPS's ability.

The tracking function does not use course and speed. It uses only Lat and Lon position report from the GPS. Either your GPS was having a rough day, or there were some bizarre currents where you were sailing.... Or maybe the beer?
If you decrease the logging frequency you will get "straighter" lines no problems..
Old 08-12-2009, 00:04   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Thanks for your help guys!

I will slow down the logging frequency and see how that goes

The program is very good

Mark