Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2019, 04:14   #1

Boat: Dreadnought 32
Transferring CMAP charts on memory stick to Card that can be read by Vulcan5 plotter

Transferring CMAP charts on memory stick to Card that can be read by Vulcan5 plotter.

I'm wanting to install the B&G Vulcan 5 and load my numerous cmap charts currently used by my opencpn.

Is there a special sd card needed that the B&G will only read or will it accept any sd card with charts on it?

Regards
Dave
SVGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:23   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Transferring CMAP charts on memory stick to Card that can be read by Vulcan5 plot

Do you run OpenCPN at your Vulcan5 plotter or why do you post this question here?
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:31   #3

Re: Transferring CMAP charts on memory stick to Card that can be read by Vulcan5 plot

Opencpn users use multiple devices hence posting on the forum.

I already have charts in use on opencpn and laptop. I'm wanting to use the same charts on new plotter and take advantage of wifi functionality.

All planning remains opencpn as a 5" screen on plotter is not as good.

6' squared is all the space my consol will take.

I intend to avoid buying new charts as charts I already have are good.
Old 31-03-2019, 04:42   #4

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Doesn’t work. There are no charts that are compatible with both OpenCPN and MFDs, of any manufacturer.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:50   #5

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGoose View Post
Transferring CMAP charts on memory stick to Card that can be read by Vulcan5 plotter.

I'm wanting to install the B&G Vulcan 5 and load my numerous cmap charts currently used by my opencpn.

Is there a special sd card needed that the B&G will only read or will it accept any sd card with charts on it?

Regards
Dave
I would be very surprised if a Vulcan5 will read the old legacy CM93 version2 chart format, that is the only version tht OpenCPN can handle. CMAP is all about encryption nowadays. The current version is CM93 version 3.
Se here for example C-Map CM93 Information

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:51   #6

Are you saying any charts stored on a laptop cannot be loaded onto a dedicated plotter?
Old 31-03-2019, 05:05   #7

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Are you saying any charts stored on a laptop cannot be loaded onto a dedicated plotter?
In most cases it is exactly like that, yes.

The manual for your plotter, which I suppose you have seen already, says on it's page 29

Code:
The system is delivered with different embedded cartography depending on region.
All units support Insight charts from Navico including Insight Genesis. The system also supports charts from Navionics and C-MAP as well as content created by a variety of third party mapping providers in the AT5 format. For a full selection of available charts, visit www.gofreeshop.com, www.c-map.com, or www.navionics.com.
None of these is overlapping with the formats supported by OpenCPN.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 12:39   #8
Moo

Quote:

Regards
Dave
Didnt the plotter come with charts? Normally you get a choice of charts and value added features at time of purchase. It will be more expensive to buy the charts seperately to the MFD.

Seems a pity to but flash new technology and run antique pirated charts on it!
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 12:40   #9
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Didnt the plotter come with charts? Normally you get a choice of charts and value added features at time of purchase. It will be more expensive to buy the charts seperately to the MFD.

Seems a pity to but flash new technology and run antique pirated charts on it!
Forgot to ask where in the world you are?
Old 31-03-2019, 13:39   #10

Yet to buy Vulcan 5 plotter.
Charts are purchased only a couple of years old, not pirated.

Previous replies have answered my questions

Thanks for the response
Old 31-03-2019, 14:36   #11
Moo

Quote:
Yet to buy Vulcan 5 plotter.
Charts are purchased only a couple of years old, not pirated.

Previous replies have answered my questions

Thanks for the response
Well if you have honest C-Map charts that work with OCPN bought only a couple of years old can you say exactly what they are and where you got them please?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:18   #12

Dear Moo,
All questions have been answered and I'm reluctant to progress off topic, I live in Plymouth, UK.

Best Regards
Old 01-04-2019, 02:56   #13
Moo

Quote:
Dear Moo,
All questions have been answered and I'm reluctant to progress off topic, I live in Plymouth, UK.

Best Regards

Hey lighten up mate. I'm just interested in where you got your charts. I like C-Map but have not found a source in a format that will work in OCPN. How about you share your information in the spirit of the community? What are you using, where you got the charts from, and how much do they cost?

Cheers
Old 01-04-2019, 06:07   #14
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

There are no C-MAP/v3 charts for OpenCPN.

They would require some specific plug-in provided either by C-MAP or by OpenCPN.
We talked with C-MAP about the how-to and what some months ago.
In this moment nobody is working on that field.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:40   #15
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
There are no C-MAP/v3 charts for OpenCPN.

They would require some specific plug-in provided either by C-MAP or by OpenCPN.
We talked with C-MAP about the how-to and what some months ago.
In this moment nobody is working on that field.

Hubert
Yes I know. Hence my line of questioning. I was curious as to where the OP may have sourced v2 charts only a couple of years ago. More to this story than he is prepared to share I suspect.

Tags
charts