Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 10:43   #1

Boat: Tashing Baba 40
Touchscreens for Cubietruck + OpenCPN?

Does anybody have suggestions or experience running OpenCPN on a Cubietruck or the like with a touchscreen? I am intending to replace the burned-out radar display at the helm with something that displays OpenCPN. I am not really interested in having a keyboard & mouse at the helm.

Right now, we use an ipad running iNavX sitting over the dead radar display. I'm looking for the same sort of result only with the Cubietruck and OpenCPN.
(Note: an android tablet in a non-starter)

thanks in advance!

Dave.

www.sv-agnesrose.org
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 10:58   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Touchscreens for Cubietruck + OpenCPN?

For me.. OpenCPN was not stable enough on these little computers (tried on a Rpie2 and Radxa Rock) for production use. The Radxa Rock defiantly runs OpenCPN with great performance, just not super stable.

I even bought a small (7") touchscreen monitor off Ebay. Look on Ebay, they can be had for $50 and under.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:04   #3

Boat: Tashing Baba 40

Yeah, it's been pretty stable sitting here on my desk (uptime 2 weeks), but that's not the same - no NEMA data flood, no boat power-noise, etc. I figure I'll set it up at the nav station down below for a few trips and see how it holds up before I put it at the helm.

I'll take a look at ebay. How was it to use on a small screen? I'm running in on a 21" HDMI desk monitor at the moment, so its hard to picture it on a 7" monitor.

www.sv-agnesrose.org
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:14   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrout View Post
Yeah, it's been pretty stable sitting here on my desk (uptime 2 weeks), but that's not the same - no NEMA data flood, no boat power-noise, etc. I figure I'll set it up at the nav station down below for a few trips and see how it holds up before I put it at the helm.

I'll take a look at ebay. How was it to use on a small screen? I'm running in on a 21" HDMI desk monitor at the moment, so its hard to picture it on a 7" monitor.
In a word.. It sucked.. Frankly I hate Linux on the desktop anyway. Once you take away the keyboard and mouse and go touchscreen its pretty crappy. You can have Linux autostart OpenCPN so you don't have to deal with Linux at all. I found OpenCPN crashed when doing things like zooming or adding waypoints.

The other problem was the screens on Ebay didn't have an bezels, just a screen. I was planing to laser cut a cool case for the screen and the Radxa, but abandoned the idea and just run OpenCPN on a Microsoft Surface Pro 1 that I picked up cheap. Much easier solution that just works and is rock solid.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, screen