Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 13:31   #1

Toggle raster vs vector charts

I can see there are multiple little green and purple squares along the bottom. I think those are charts that are applicable to the area I'm looking at. If I start clicking on them, I can get various raster and vector charts for the area. But I don't necessarily want to see a specific chart, I'd like OpenCPN to continue automatically selecting charts based on my zoom and location, but I do want to toggle between raster and vector.

Now that I started clicking on the rectangles, the OpenCPN isn't automatically selecting charts for me.

I didn't see a keyboard shortcut for raster/vector toggle, or a button in the tool bar for it either.

Is there an easy way to switch between raster and vector? How to I re-enable automatic chart view selections after I've clicked on the rectangles?
mrdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:28   #2

Re: Toggle raster vs vector charts

Same question as OP
Flcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:48   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

You switch between raster and vector by clicking on the respective rectangles. Is that easy enough?
If you have chart quilting enabled (Rectangles have rounded corners), OpenCPN keeps automatically selecting appropriate charts. In single chart mode (Rectangles have sharp corners), you are, well, in single chart mode, seeing a single chart you have selected.

To switch between the single chart mode and chart quilting mode, either press Q or use the hamburger menu in the lower right corner of the chart canvas.

And do yourself a favor by reading the manual, there is a lot of information not just about this particular subject there.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:37   #4

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Use caution when selecting chart types.

I've found several cases where rocks, underwater obstructions, and even islands are in different positions near the edges of overlapping charts.

And one section of the ICW where the ICW itself is 100ft south from one chart to the adjacent chart.

So switching between raster vs vector, and auto selecting charts may not always give accurate information for navigation.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:31   #5
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Another option is the split screen canvas, where you can place raster on one pane and vector on the second one. Or vice versa. Of course as well different scale if you like so.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:37   #6

I like to create a chart group for raster and another for vector charts then toggle between them as desired.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts