Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2021, 20:05   #1

Third beta of arm64 marine OS for raspberry PI 4 by BBN is available for download. Op

Third beta of arm64 marine OS for raspberry PI 4 by BBN is available for download.

Image download URL https://cloudsmith.io/~bbn-projects/...s/?q=lysmarine

Give it a try on your unused SD card laying around. In many ways it's a superset of OpenPlotter distribution even more tailored for marine applications.
Better touchscreen support. Many more marine apps than in default OpenPlotter image.
Could be interesting if some openplotter apps could be adapted for it. Example openplotter-i2c

Intro doc:

https://github.com/bareboat-necessities/lysmarine_gen

Thanks
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 03:44   #2

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: Third beta of arm64 marine OS for raspberry PI 4 by BBN is available for download

Hi Mcgrouch,

tried your image. But I see no way to connect my GPS mouse to the system. I also cannot get my maps via usb on the software.

The settings in the SignalK server is also not very clear.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 05:36   #3

Re: Third beta of arm64 marine OS for raspberry PI 4 by BBN is available for download

It’s not clear what did you attempt to set up GPS mouse. Did you plug it in?
What is the output of lsusb?
What is the make/model.
Did it create tty device under /dev?
what’s the output of
ls -l /dev/*tty*

Thanks,
—MG
Old 28-01-2021, 10:06   #4

Boat: Halmatic 30

As always I make the connection in the SignalK server. In this case without the Serial OpenPlotter application. >NMEA183, >gpsmouse >port >baudrate and then restart.

Then in OpenCPN the connection with the SignalK server > signalk > localhost > port 3000.

That is the way it always worked.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 10:33   #5

If you use fairly common gps mouse it should be recognized by gpsd and OpenCPN you can create connection to gpsd.
you can create connection to gpsd in SignalK and another one from OpenCPN to SignalK. You can also use KPlex instead of SignalK for it. It’s all up to you. First you need to find out if your gps mouse is recognized. lsusb. Then see tty device created for it. The system comes with rules to recognize most common gps devices by vendor and product id and it will create tty device aliases. How you route NMEA traffic inside the system is up to you. You can use serial to gpsd to OpenCPN, you can use serial to KPlex to OpenCPN,
Serial to SignalK to OpenCPN. And with each connection transport options are udp or tcp. In case of SignalK you also can choose NMEA sentences or JSON based SignalK protocol. OpenCPN understands both but needs to be told which to use. With my gps mouse it just gets recognized after I plug it in. I run gpsmon and gpsd already sees it.

Thanks,
—MG

Tags
loa, marine