Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2010, 12:52   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Things I'd Like to See :) . . .

Things I would like to see on a future OpenCpn
  • Drawing lines.
  • Writing text on charts
  • Measure a path of multiple lines angles etc. Multiple measurements.
  • Input preferred arrival time and it tells you the speed you must do, and updates it.
  • In Route Properties be able to set a default speed and different speeds for different legs. i.e some legs I know I can do 6kts some I know may be 4 or 3 etc.
  • Have each of the Tracks be able to be joined up instead of lots of little tracks.
  • Clicking on a track and it shows you the speed and course you were doing at the time.
  • Long legs of a route can't be activated unless you click near a waypoint.
  • Ability to have more than 4 routes before they start deleting the first one.
  • Faster program when the track gets long or many waypoints.
  • Have Anchor Watch marks so they can be used on a passage so you could put one on a rock and give it a 5 mile clearance etc (Like a waypoint proximity alarm)
  • Have multiple Anchor Watch Marks. I think they are damn excellent!!!!! The '-' ones are terrific! Maybe even a free drawn anchor 'circle'
  • Great Circle Route.
  • Alarm output so I can hear the alarm LOUD in the rest of the boat.
  • GPX so its more dynamic. It works but its kinda klunky. I don't know, but it just wants to be better. Sort of like push a button and all the info from a pervious passage comes up.
  • Coffee Maker
  • option to Move a waypoint to where the boat is now. I more the route to where the boat is and it would be nice to make it more automated and exact.
  • I have the computer off most of the time. When I turn it on I want everything selected like when I closed it off including the route activated, waypoint, measure device etc.
  • Ability to click a button to have the grib file more 3 hours forward.
  • Integrating with Google Earth so we see sat photos as well as chart. <--- I dont know if its possible or not, but I'm just askin'!

I don't think I can think of anything else at the moment. I know some of these things might not be important to some people. and some may not be possible to implement.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 10:46   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
To be able to put the navigation buttons, status bar etc on the left or right of screen instead of top and bottom.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 11:02   #3

Boat: Dufour 35
A lot of interesting suggestions Mark.
Can you. please, enter them in OpenCPN::Tracker OpenCPN - Feature Requests: Tasklist , where the OpenCPN project keeps tap of all bugs and feature requests.
Flyspray was started, to make the lives easier for our developers. A lot of good ideas, earlier tended to get lost among all other posts, and as time passed, they were difficult to find.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote