Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2018, 01:33   #46

Re: The Weather Routing stops before reaching the destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I assume this is for planning purposes, similar to "Departure Planning" where multiple start intervals between two date/times are run. Can you explain in greater detail what Isoroute is? a definition or something? Also where do you get this term?

You can do departure planning by duplicating a configuration and changing the start date/time however many times you want. Then highlight all your configurations and click Compute, and they will all be computed concurrently using process threads. Then check out the resullts and pick your weather window.

BTW The plugin uses the isochrone method for calculations.

Here are some screenshots using your polar, showing how Sean has enabled "interpolation" as Pavel has described. First you add some TWS columns in the Edit Polar > Dimension Tab, then you just fill in the start and end values in the Edit Polar > Grid Tab and the rest of the values get interpolated.

Also, note that it does not make too much difference if you have TWS=0 column or TWA=0 row, the polar diagram remains the same. Indeed in an earlier version of the plugin we needed to remove TWA=0 rows. It appears the plugin is more forgiving about this now.
Dear rgleason,
the ISOROUTE (or time sensitivity) feature is very useful mainly in race but also in cruise (I think).
By example, the Isoroute at 30 minutes (or time sensitivity=30m) is a shadow region around the best course that includes all paths from starting point to destination point with a maximum delay of 30m.
In order to evaluate the Isoroute it is sufficient to calculate the Isochrones and in the Inverse isochrones.
This shadow region, by example, (Isoroute) can develop itself mainly on the right or on the left of the best course.. the useful information is the following: if the isoroute develop itself mainly of the left of the best course, this means that it is more convenient to stay on the best course or at maximum on the left side of the best course in order to accumulate at max a delay of 30m (if the isoroute is calculated based on a time delay of 30m).

Kind regards..
Joseph
joseph79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 01:41   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph79 View Post
Dear rgleason,
the ISOROUTE (or time sensitivity) feature is very useful mainly in race but also in cruise (I think).
By example, the Isoroute at 30 minutes (or time sensitivity=30m) is a shadow region around the best course that includes all paths from starting point to destination point with a maximum delay of 30m.
In order to evaluate the Isoroute it is sufficient to calculate the Isochrones and in the Inverse isochrones.
This shadow region, by example, (Isoroute) can develop itself mainly on the right or on the left of the best course.. the useful information is the following: if the isoroute develop itself mainly of the left of the best course, this means that it is more convenient to stay on the best course or at maximum on the left side of the best course in order to accumulate at max a delay of 30m (if the isoroute is calculated based on a time delay of 30m).

Kind regards..
Joseph
Dear rglease,
please find attacched an example of Isoroute at 30m.
regards.
Joseph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISOROUTE.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	168883  
joseph79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 04:34   #48

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

So to be clear... The "shadow region" is computed by first normal propagation to finish, then propagting backwards from the destination to the start. The region is found by where the isochrons intersect for opposite directions?

It wouldn't be too difficult to do, but I'm not sure I totally agree on usefulness. I think it's more of a routing gimmick.. I'm sure I'm already guily of several of these already in weather routing like avoiding cyclone tracks.

The example you posted seems well balanced. Do you have a less balanced example, or can you give more evidence that this is a useful calculation?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destination, weather