Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 19:15   #1

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore
Thanks for the Great Work

I've been spending the last couple of days playing with the NGA charts that were just downloaded and are available at NGA Charts Status at OpenCPN.info (English)

You guys rock! Thanks to everyone who participated and made these available.

I had to upgrade from Fireworks to Photoshop to resize those humongous jpegs, but I was able to figure everyting out and even get imgkap to work and create a usable chart.

Most of the discussion on the '2700 Charts' thread is way over my head so I don't think I'm creating charts the same way. I'm cropping off the margins on mine so that the corners of the image are the corners of the chart itself. Is there a problem doing it this way?

I noticed that many charts need to be slighly rotated a fraction of a degree in one direction or the other to get the crop line parallel to the lat and lon lines. No problem there, as you can rotate .1 degree at a time if necessary until they are good. But what do you do when one side of the chart lines up, but the other edge is still slightly off?

I guess that's what happens when you are using a scan of an actual paper chart. They are not perfect to begin with. so sometimes the area is not perfectly square.

Anyway, great job! We all owe you a beer!
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote